Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I think in the early beta I got the 'best' ending somehow, but this time made do with Casey cutting off his arm. I actually thought when Kekkabah walks up to Casey with the spike he would drive it in Casey's heart or something, but not bad. Will try next playthrough to steal the spike or something.

Doubt it'll work. I managed to steal the spike without being noticed at all and as soon as I left the building a radio message went out saying that the raiders had stolen the spike. Reloaded after that, tried to be subtler (closed doors behind me, came from a direction where the game specifically noted "Hmm, no guards..."), but no dice. I reeeally wanted to steal both artifacts and then set up a fake John Henry miracle that would mend the tribes. Thought the way it actually worked out was a little dull and uninspired. I just used my Ass skills and got the golden ending. The dude did have to lose his arm, but all was ultimately well. And he WAS planting fucking bombs on playground equipment. Armloss may have been merciful in this case.

It would actually make that skill useless if you can figure them all out.. just like in Bloodlines you sorta can just type the passwords

Uh...except that sometimes the codes might be hidden in odd places or require some thought to figure out. Typing in the passwords you haven't found in-game in Bloodlines is effectively cheating--which is fine, if you wanna cheat, but if you wanna cheat, why not just cheat your hacking skill up to 5 and cheat without needing to tab out?

A question I ask myself when I'm reloading constantly to scum open locks.

Theres a difference between outright cheating and having meta knowledge.. I mean by that logic you should not do anything on your second play through that would help improve your chances of survival.. Know a mine is coming up? Better run over it.. Know that a boss fight is coming up? Don't save or prepare yourself..

I am being pedantic of course.. but if you know the passwords it's hard to not type them in.. Save Scumming and outright cheating are a bit more extreme then that.. IMO

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Save Scumming and outright cheating are a bit more extreme then that.. IMO

There's no ethical component. It's just a question of how you enjoy consuming media. I strongly suspect that many people would still take lockpick skills even in games where all doors have findable keys. It's a bypass, a shortcut, and potentially an avenue-opener (ie, "I didn't have to kill that guy and take his key to get into the treasury").

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Save Scumming and outright cheating are a bit more extreme then that.. IMO

There's no ethical component. It's just a question of how you enjoy consuming media. I strongly suspect that many people would still take lockpick skills even in games where all doors have findable keys. It's a bypass, a shortcut, and potentially an avenue-opener (ie, "I didn't have to kill that guy and take his key to get into the treasury").

I have to set limits on myself.. The temptation is always there.. Especially when you reach a hard part in the game, it's easy to try and rationalize.. "Oh well the game is unbalanced or unfair because of this.. or it's not worth the trouble because of this".. When in reality it will cheapen the game for myself if I cheese or use meta knowledge to win.

I'm more speaking in general.. Not so much Wasteland 2 specifically... although I would prefer that the codes were a bit more randomized.. :)

Zeronet

Learned
Might as well just ignore most crates and safes. If you need more loot, just kill a few chumps on the world map and sell their guns.

The game lacks that joy of busting into somewhere to steal juicy loot. I struggle to think of many instances of contextual loot at all. Nearly everything is provided via vendors anyhow. There's the cool stuff Mercaptain can build for you if you find some items, but that's it. a very underutilized mechanic.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mangh California is buggy even after the patch. It's not terrible but some quests break down if you don't do them in precies order (Schwag, Broken Man), some get shut off completely. It's quite plain the community testing on Arizona was a huge boon.

crawlkill

Some crates have cool stuff, though! Although even the cool stuff I've found isn't always unique. I thought I was so clever for buying the +1 Animal Whisperer trinket at the beginning of the game, but I've found, like, three more since then. Things I don't need: Multiple people with Animal Whisperer. And I grit my teeth over wasting requisition on a +1 Mechanical Repair (I think?) trinket I then found more copies of.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

rave_party.png

I hate to imagine what a light/laser show will be when nearly all my characters will have laser sights installed. It will be like at a german mad rave party. :)

My suggestions for laser sights visuals:

- make the laser beam thinner and 30% shorter than it is in the picture
- laser beams active/turned on only in combat (it makes no sense to have them on all the time consuming the batteries for no purpose)
- when firing at the ground or other party members, make them active when the characters aligns the gun to take the shot and turn the laser sight off after a few seconds after the firing stops

Last edited:

crawlkill

when firing at the ground or other party members

on this topic, I had my first incident of friendly fire against a downed ally earlier. I don't know how bad these people's aim is that they manage to hit someone literally lying on the ground rather than the person standing up they were aiming at, but it seems to be a thing.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
when firing at the ground or other party members

on this topic, I had my first incident of friendly fire against a downed ally earlier. I don't know how bad these people's aim is that they manage to hit someone literally lying on the ground rather than the person standing up they were aiming at, but it seems to be a thing.

you mean this type of incident? :))

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
crawlkill
circ
The canyon is shit.
It's actually the first location and content that got me excited. IMHO map is very well done. You just get various people passing through everywhere - well thats the point. And the whole monk rules make you think what exactly you can and will do. I hope the temple is awesome, because the way there was pretty fun.

crawlkill

crawlkill
circ
The canyon is shit.
It's actually the first location and content that got me excited. IMHO map is very well done. You just get various people passing through everywhere - well thats the point. And the whole monk rules make you think what exactly you can and will do. I hope the temple is awesome, because the way there was pretty fun.

Guess I'm glad for you that you're enjoying it, but it just seems immensely illogical to me. Monks providing protecting outside of their checkpoints (essentially acting as legitimizers of raiding and theft against those who haven't yet had an opportunity to give tribute), monks saying you've broken the peace when you haven't, monks apparently not noticing firefights going on less than a screen away from them (the water caravaner who'd been broken down)...the militia taking away my guns to talk to them so that I needed to fucking loot and reequip them afterward, rather than having them find their owners again automatically once I left.

Also, absurd typos and fart jokes I get to keep seeing while I'm two screens away, but that's at the temple itself.

I don't hate-hate it, but it isn't speaking to me, and it isn't the "choices and consequences!" quality that hype has lead me to expect. I still enjoy the game. But this area could've been a lot better.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
I finally reached Damonta. I love that place, if only it weren't crawling with robots!
(already reported but it rains in the airfield hangar).

That's my favorite part so far (less than 2 hours in Cali or less for me tho).
I love the feel and aesthetic, with the pink neon glow in the rain, and the desperation in the air as the robots siege and lay waste to one of the last few pockets of civilization in the wasteland.

I don't particularly care for the robots. Tinker is cool and unique, it would have been better if it was synths like the ones you meet stealing the cattle in LA.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Titan Canyon is extremely frustrating.

I have only found one 1 barrel of sludge. I have been all over the goddamn map and I cannot seem to find any more. Are they found in the area beyond where the monks first ask you to collect the stufft? Because I cannot go past the gates without running into "soldiers" (I'm assuming Diamondback) who anally rape my party into oblivion.

Should I be looking around the canyon for sludge barrels? Or past the soldiers?
To get around the soldiers after the first checkpoint I had to use explosives to clear away 3 walls so I could go around them since my brute force wasn't up to snuff.

I figured it out. For some reason, none of the sludge barrels were showing up. At all. I quit and restarted, and they were all there.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Does anyone know if there is an unofficial path through the game, level-wise? Like, should I do Rail Nomads before Damonta? (In Damonta at lvl 10). I just curious about levels and what the game is doing instead of level scaling.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
With Angela abandoning me, my otherwise Int 10 have-all-skills nerd team is suddenly lacking Brute Force entirely. Very annoying. Put a few points into it from Chisel, but it wasn't enough to get through.

I also fucking adore Chisel. Thought of him just as filler when I first got him, but the man does terrifying damage with nothing more than a minimally modified crowbar, and there's an absurd satisfaction in pounding people with it. And he's always got slightly dizzy dumb shit to say. Having my core PCs be total dweebs with shit combat stats actually has a sort of doubled upside of making the NPC companions feel really useful. Thinking maybe I should cheat-respec Rose into a longer ranged weapon, though, so she doesn't keep fucking dying on me for being the first thing the honey badgers eat.
Some Chisel quotes from Damonta and early Cali
Talking to a bulldyke in Damonta
NRF3gCL.jpg

hzrg568.jpg

About an annoying backer designed NPC
N7LxQYE.jpg

qVp0Oga.jpg

NPgkpop.jpg

Pz645Cm.jpg

I regret not having Scotchmo, I bet he's entertaining as well

Tigranes

Arcane
Played fine after patch the first time, but now PC freezes upon a minute of loading game. I've had a bit of what I suspect is overheating issues in the past, even after cleaning fan & manually setting its speeds, but surely it doesn't overheat that fast and that consistently.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I have Scotchmo in my squad and the guy's very entertaining.

I pumped some points in demolition and made him dismantle that nuclear warhead in Silo 7. Only 19% chances of doing it with 45% chances of critical failure. It worked on the fourth try (and the bomb detonated twice). :obviously:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012

Guess I'm glad for you that you're enjoying it, but it just seems immensely illogical to me. Monks providing protecting outside of their checkpoints (essentially acting as legitimizers of raiding and theft against those who haven't yet had an opportunity to give tribute), monks saying you've broken the peace when you haven't, monks apparently not noticing firefights going on less than a screen away from them (the water caravaner who'd been broken down)...the militia taking away my guns to talk to them so that I needed to fucking loot and reequip them afterward, rather than having them find their owners again automatically once I left.

Also, absurd typos and fart jokes I get to keep seeing while I'm two screens away, but that's at the temple itself.

I don't hate-hate it, but it isn't speaking to me, and it isn't the "choices and consequences!" quality that hype has lead me to expect. I still enjoy the game. But this area could've been a lot better.
Seems to me you had more trouble on the technical side of things. Nothing wrong happened to me with my monk. He attacked very consistent to the explained rules. And hating the "Mad" Monks rules for being illogical or unfair is a bit funny. This may be intentional to get you thinking on "which is better and why" (faction decision).

The water merchants quest was a bit strage, yes. Suspension of disbelief was hard with them standing around the corner to the outpost. And a bit more polish would have been better. (Like the merchant asking you to heal the wounded?)

Pegultagol

Erudite
Tried the new patch off the GOG, and game runs a lot smoother. Much kudos to InXile. I didn't have problem with jam rates so I thought I could try harder difficulty to offset it, but in Damonta not so sure about that anymore.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Does anyone know if there is an unofficial path through the game, level-wise? Like, should I do Rail Nomads before Damonta? (In Damonta at lvl 10). I just curious about levels and what the game is doing instead of level scaling.

I dunno about being around lvl 10, if you have a Ranger team that is very well balanced and specialized then it is worthwhile to try. My party of around level 15 Rangers are a unwashed mob of piecemeal skills that gets roundly trounced by one of the big enemies there. I would recommend Rail Nomads first because I was around lvl 10 and had a pretty challenging battle still against opponents there. But if you got through the Prison and Canyon, I would say Damonta is definitely doable. While I think levels are very important equipment that is available in those areas including new SMGs, assault rifles, and even energy weapons should compensate and if their availability is not scaled then it is quite telling what the developers intended the path through the Wastes to be. In the Rail Nomads area HK33 was the best weapon available either as drops or via merchants. And in the same area there apparently is a radio tower that apprently one can activate if neither Ag Center or Highpool quests was completed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'll wait for the community patch in two yrs

Well, Fallout 2 was fully patched only what, 12 years after the release? I wouldn't wait that long ;)

Some quest flags are messed up, especially in California, and I still suspect the RNG is a trolling generator masterpiece but game is eminently playable and for me, this is already an alltime classic. Simply phenomenal.

Hey sea.. not sure if this was reported or not.. This is after taking the steam patch..

After looting a body and coming back to the game from the loot menu, when I hit the directional buttons or moved my mouse cursor to pan the screen only the shadows were moving, not the rest of the world..

So I couldn't move my camera away from the current location I was facing.. just the shadows belonging to assets and objects were panning around.. it looked kinda cool / weird

Happened completely randomly and only once so far..

This happened in the rail gunner area between the two Rail Nomads Camps..

I tried to save my file and restart the game.. the issue was fixed by restarting so I have no way to accurately reproduce the bug or own a save file that will reveal this occurrence.. Sorry

Good luck finding that bug.. :lol:
Same thing happened to me, but in a different location, it was in LA
after killing Steven Dengler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom