Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Wasteland 2 RPG Codex Interview - Part 2: Michael A. Stackpole

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Well, don't sweat it Jasede. You're a big boy now so even if the Internet didn't exist calling the hintline would have prevented you from experiencing the joy of being stuck for days. Let's give Internet and a steady income shared credit for killing off puzzles. Because it certainly can't be that you prefer to do something else with your time than be stuck for days. It's the evil Google-man's fault, forcing you to look up the answer even though you really, really wanted to be stuck for days.

And if a really good adventure game was released, you wouldn't even buy it because Google has already ruined it for you, right?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, don't sweat it Jasede. You're a big boy now so even if the Internet didn't exist calling the hintline would have prevented you from experiencing the joy of being stuck for days. Let's give Internet and a steady income shared credit for killing off puzzles. Because it certainly can't be that you prefer to do something else with your time than be stuck for days. It's the evil Google-man's fault, forcing you to look up the answer even though you really, really wanted to be stuck for days.

And if a really good adventure game was released, you wouldn't even buy it because Google has already ruined it for you, right?

But you don't understand- you do do other things while stuck: work, sleep, eat, play, talk, whatever. But in the background, your mind is working on the puzzle and then will, all out of the blue, present a solution sooner or later. And that moment of insight is second to none, one of the most rewarding feelings one can have.

thesisko

Emissary
But you don't understand- you do do other things while stuck: work, sleep, eat, play, talk, whatever. But in the background, your mind is working on the puzzle and then will, all out of the blue, present a solution sooner or later. And that moment of insight is second to none, one of the most rewarding feelings one can have.
I understand perfectly. When I decide to look for a hint it's because I've reached the conclusion that I do not wish to spend more time on this particular puzzle. I've solved enough puzzles in the past to know that I'll probably get more enjoyment out of moving on at this point. My decision - my choice.

But when you look up a hint it's because someone forced you to Google it, because if you actually had a choice you'd do what you find most enjoyable - let your mind work the puzzle and sooner or later you'll get a moment of insight that is second to none. Who'd want to give up that feeling voluntarily, right?

You didn't address the question on whether or not you'd buy a game with puzzles. Does not being stuck for days due to Google make you prefer a game without puzzles over one with puzzles? Because the question here if you'd like the game more if it had puzzles, not whether or not you'd find them as emotionally engaging as your younger self did.

almondblight

Arcane
I understand perfectly. When I decide to look for a hint it's because I've reached the conclusion that I do not wish to spend more time on this particular puzzle. I've solved enough puzzles in the past to know that I'll probably get more enjoyment out of moving on at this point. My decision - my choice.

This. I went through Planescape for the first time recently and looked up how to get into the siege engine. In the end it turned out I had to talk to some random guy that had nothing to do with the engine, and ask him about something unrelated, which would trigger an idea in my character. I would never have gotten that unless I had just ran around and talked to every single NPC and asked them every single question I had in mind.

There were plenty of other puzzles in the game I didn't look up, however, because they made sense in some way. Pixel hunting isn't fun, Google or not.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Still skirting around...the Internet isn't the issue. Either people enjoy the whole experience or they skip it because they don't think it's good use of their time. Whether they skip it by using a walkthrough or by playing something else is irrelevant.

And your line of logic still assumes that not having access to a walkthrough would make people more likely to buy a game with hard puzzles. Because that's what developers base their decisions on, sales, not whether people cheated or not.

This. Plus Gregz still hasn't countered the argument that his viewpoint makes all non-reflex based games obsolete because you can just look up a walkthrough on the internet.

Good puzzles aren't obsolete, nor are good riddles or all kinds of secrets. In fact, the Japs still tend to include lots of secrets into their games despite those being made "obsolete" because of the internet -- because, you know, some people love discovering those for themselves! Imagine that! Gregz's mind must be blown now. If someone wants to consult a FAQ or a walkthrough, it's his or her own problem. If anything, having puzzles/secrets in the game caters to both audiences at once -- to those who want to solve/find them on their own as well as to those who'll be consulting the FAQ while playing.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Google has made puzzles obsolete; sad but true.

Not to piss on your little "grass was greener" lawn party, but walkthroughs were around even in bbs days, long before the internet as most people know it today.

Gregz

Arcane
Still skirting around...the Internet isn't the issue. Either people enjoy the whole experience or they skip it because they don't think it's good use of their time. Whether they skip it by using a walkthrough or by playing something else is irrelevant.

And your line of logic still assumes that not having access to a walkthrough would make people more likely to buy a game with hard puzzles. Because that's what developers base their decisions on, sales, not whether people cheated or not.

This. Plus Gregz still hasn't countered the argument that his viewpoint makes all non-reflex based games obsolete because you can just look up a walkthrough on the internet.

Good puzzles aren't obsolete, nor are good riddles or all kinds of secrets. In fact, the Japs still tend to include lots of secrets into their games despite those being made "obsolete" because of the internet -- because, you know, some people love discovering those for themselves! Imagine that! Gregz's mind must be blown now. If someone wants to consult a FAQ or a walkthrough, it's his or her own problem. If anything, having puzzles/secrets in the game caters to both audiences at once -- to those who want to solve/find them on their own as well as to those who'll be consulting the FAQ while playing.

TBS games aren't twitch, and don't rely on puzzles. That's just one of many types of games that aren't changed by the availability of spoilers. Traditional RPGs have problems however. Puzzle-based gaming today is fundamentally different from how it was before walkthroughs and spoilers were easily available.
It's all explained :deadhorse: upthread.

And you're in denial bro, just like a lot of people. "You guys may use walkthroughs, but I'm a real gamer." Several people upthread, including myself had the stones to admit using spoilers/walkthroughs governed by our pain threshold. Nobody wins KKKs admitting that, we're trying to clarify an issue. The fact that gamers use spoilers means something is fundamentally wrong.

Hell, even major players (bioware?) in the industry have claimed that RPGs are obsolete, a big part of what defines RPGs are puzzles (quests, mazes, etc., anything requiring problem solving or ingenuity). We've been collectively bitching about the decline. Skyrim's quest compass might just be there to keep the player from alt-tabbing. The internet/spoiler issue may be a large part of why RPGs have been declining. The timeline correlates pretty well the growth and accessibility of the internet.

Also, what was the last highly lauded Codex RPG? KoTC? Great game, but no real puzzles to speak of (talk to the bears, translate a scroll, stuff a 5 year old could figure out), and KoTC is a dungeons and dragons game. It should have been full of puzzles. In the 80s, DnD was riddles, mazes, traps, and all kinds of cool shit that's easily ruined by spoilers today. That's probably why they weren't in KoTC, no point these days.

Not to piss on your little "grass was greener" lawn party, but walkthroughs were around even in bbs days, long before the internet as most people know it today.

I know, but you're ignoring the accessibility issue. Accessibility has been increasing every year since the bbs days. It literally takes anyone < 60 seconds to:

alt tab -> open a browser -> Google 'game' + 'walkthrough' -> F3 -> password 'open this door' -> Answer -> alt-tab -> type password.

As Jasede mentioned, help lines were available back in the day too, but most gamers didn't use them because of the much high accessibility barrier.

Shannow

Waster of Time

Gregz

Arcane
I see, you're just retarded. Nevermind then.
Was that necessary?

In my view, yes. That's the most retarded bullshit I've ever seen around here. Sorry if that disappoints you for some reason.

Here's how I saw it CB...

A respected veteran cRPG designer expresses little interest in puzzles in the interview.

Someone makes a remark about why he thinks the designer no longer has interest in puzzles (I may be wrong):

And yeah, it definitely sounds like he doesn't want puzzles in the game.

You call me out in asshat fashion:

You repeat this bullshit for the second time already, but I've yet to see you substantiate it in any way. People also refer to google for walkthroughs and FAQs; does that mean google has made all but reflex-based and roguelike games obsolete??

I ignore your shit and explain my thought process.

The rest of us have a discussion, which was actually kinda fruitful and interesting...exploring what's changed, what hasn't etc. You know...the stuff these forums are for.

You take no part in that discussion, make no counter-points, show no comprehension of what's been discussed, and drop a shitpost.

Gregz

Arcane
Anyway, we've all been dicks on the internet at one time or another...maybe your mom just died or something...I don't know...no hard feelings.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Hell, even major players (bioware?) in the industry have claimed that RPGs are obsolete, a big part of what defines RPGs are puzzles (quests, mazes, etc., anything requiring problem solving or ingenuity). We've been collectively bitching about the decline. Skyrim's quest compass might just be there to keep the player from alt-tabbing. The internet/spoiler issue may be a large part of why RPGs have been declining. The timeline correlates pretty well the growth and accessibility of the internet.
The growth and accessibility of the internet also correlates pretty well with the time when personal computers stopped being primarily the domain of the educated class and became a common household appliance, as well as the introduction of the original Playstation, which was the first to bring games aimed at adults to TV screens in every home. These two factors explain why games these days rarely require much thinking.

Adventure games are still being made in large quantities for their own target niche. I'm sure complete walkthroughs are available on the internet, and that all but the most hardcore players use them occasionally, but it obviously doesn't prevent them from buying and enjoying the adventures anyway.

thesisko

Emissary
TBS games aren't twitch, and don't rely on puzzles. That's just one of many types of games that aren't changed by the availability of spoilers. Traditional RPGs have problems however. Puzzle-based gaming today is fundamentally different from how it was before walkthroughs and spoilers were easily available.
Cheats are easily accessible. The Casual difficulty is easily accessible. Let's not bother with gameplay since it can be easily skipped if the player is frustrated.

And you're in denial bro, just like a lot of people. "You guys may use walkthroughs, but I'm a real gamer." Several people upthread, including myself had the stones to admit using spoilers/walkthroughs governed by our pain threshold. Nobody wins KKKs admitting that, we're trying to clarify an issue. The fact that gamers use spoilers means something is fundamentally wrong.
I'm having trouble following your agenda here. Are you in fact saying that access to the internet has just exposed already existing flaws in game designs? Because you sure started off making it sound like a negative development.

Hell, even major players (bioware?) in the industry have claimed that RPGs are obsolete.
There's this thing called marketing. Ever heard of it?

Skyrim's quest compass might just be there to keep the player from alt-tabbing. The internet/spoiler issue may be a large part of why RPGs have been declining. The timeline correlates pretty well the growth and accessibility of the internet.
Right. The changes in design philosophy from Morrowind to Skyrim has nothing to do with changing focus from a PC-RPG developer to a mass-market console developer. It's because of spoilers - quick someone let Piranha Bytes in on this revelation! Have you considered applying for a job at Bethesda PR? Because your bullshit is so much better than anything Pete and Todd said to explain the continuous dumbing down of their games.

I know, but you're ignoring the accessibility issue. Accessibility has been increasing every year since the bbs days. It literally takes anyone < 60 seconds to:

alt tab -> open a browser -> Google 'game' + 'walkthrough' -> F3 -> password 'open this door' -> Answer -> alt-tab -> type password.
Because downloading a .txt file took so much more effort.

thesisko

Emissary
And I'm still missing that one line from you that would at least validate your own belief in this bullshit: "Adding puzzles to a game makes me less likely to buy it".

St. Toxic

Arcane
The rest of us have a discussion, which was actually kinda fruitful and interesting...exploring what's changed, what hasn't etc. You know...the stuff these forums are for.

Hey retard, these forums are for name-calling and meme circle-jerks. Go have your gay little discussion parties somewhere else.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
It's obvious we need "reverse DRM", i.e. the game refuses to start if it detects a working internet connection :P

thesisko

Emissary
Guys, I've figured this out - Gregz is from a parallel universe.

Our timeline
Following the breakout success of their first big-budget hits on the XBox, "Knights of the Old Republic" and "Morrowind", Bioware and Bethesda decided to focus on making their future games more...accessible in order to expand the audience beyond the saturated PC RPG market. Complaints about confusing gameplay and navigation were addressed with a quest-compass and general handholding. Character and combat systems were stripped down and more action-oriented gameplay was implemented.

Gregz' alternate timeline
Although their latest games had been well-received by gamers and critics, the developers at Bioware and Betheda were receiving disturbing reports that players were using Internet spoilers to circumvent the brilliant designs they had implemented. Concerned with preserving the artistic intent of their works, Bioware and Bethesda began to radically simplify their future games so that they could ensure that their audience would properly experience these works of art without sullying their majesty by using the dreaded "Alt-Tab" combination.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This thread is so wonderfully Codex. A little bit of intelligence hidden somewhere underneath the piles of butthurt and retardation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom