Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
edit: also Anthony, I'm kind of disappointing your perception of OWS is people defecating on police cars. I think you may need to understand politics better and where you get your information.
What has the OWS movement achieved? Nothing. Hence, the perception. Whether they defecated on cars, in their tents, or under trees is irrelevant.

It was a dumb idea to begin with, which doesn't reflect highly on the participants, regardless of whether they were shitting on police cars or in their tents.

Edit:
You have to admit that, given how the NYPD and the Oakland PD acted like a horde of jackbooted thugs, it wasnt's irrational to expect that some fed-up protester would make such an extreme gesture of defiance.
Contrary to popular beliefs, shitting on property is not a gesture of defiance. It's a gesture of impotence.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
You did and it made sense. Anyway, are you over at the WL2 forums Anthony? Would be great to have people from within the system and a history with said system over there posting things like you posted earlier in this thread.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sorry. So, do you guys like TB, RT, or both?
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7

"Ya, I am totally for turn based combat, but maybe with an included real time option...
Turn-based or pausable real time (like in Baldur's Gate).
While I am a fan of the fallout turn based system, the most fun I had was the fallout tactics combat system. I liked to play on Real Time turn based
Turn Base is fine for alot of the gamers, where as others...jsut get annoied. Myself being one of them, DA1 was a prime for me, I hated that combat system. So my suggestion is to allow both ^^. Make it more indepth, make the fight feel like an actul fight for say.
Technology has moved on. Deliberately holding on to limitations of 1980s computer graphics is pointless. There are games out there like Silent Storm, Faces of War, Company of Heroes, Last days of Gaia, Soldiers of Anarchy.

Clearly 3D is a better system than top down or isometric. Clearly TB is super artificial and does not allow for any kind of real life tactical options. If you want top down, TB you can play chess-why bother creating a modern cRPG? If you control every aspect of your party behavior, why bother having a party?
I too prefer real time, but I know that many Wasteland fans want to have a TB option, so why not go with something similar to Baldurs Gate? The system is turn-based but it doesn't pause by default at the end of your turn. You can play it in real-time if you like, or you can set when combat stops and if I recall correctly, you had a lot more options to configure it than in most turn-based systems. Food for thought.
Turn based combat is too slow. Even with fully advanced A.I controlled allied NPCs (incidentally a suggestion many Wasteland fans appear to hate), it's still not fast. At least if it has any complexity. (Fallout combat was fast but didn't use crouch, prone, suppresson, cover or concealment. In other words it had little tactical depth)

That's why I think Fallout Tactics method of real time, regenerating AP's is the answer.
I'm sure that Brian will be updating the graphics, interface, charcater system, why not combat? If it can satisfy both camps, why not, if it will increase sales? If you can play WL2 taking turns and someone else in real-time,why should you care?

There's been anumber of D&D games (and what's more turn-based than D&D) that played perfectly fine in real-time while remaining turn-based. Why exclude real-time?"

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You have to admit that, given how the NYPD and the Oakland PD acted like a horde of jackbooted thugs, it wasnt's irrational to expect that some fed-up protester would make such an extreme gesture of defiance.
Contrary to popular beliefs, shitting on property is not a gesture of defiance. It's a gesture of impotence.
Would you have preferred they came armed and shot the place up, like in Libya or Syria, to show real defiance? Let's compromise on it being a gesture of relative restraint and leave it at that.

Oesophagus

Arcane
FFS, The W2 boards should be only for people who donated at least the lowest tier. For one thing, Anhdhaira would have to fuck off.

And what's with these people who want romances, waifus, dx11, and now it seems - real time combat? Are they that stupid that they pledged money on a game that is completely counter to what they like? Because I don't think so. So why should these fuckwits have any say on the forums is beyond me

Vault Dweller

Developer
Would you have preferred they came armed and shot the place up, like in Libya or Syria, to show real defiance? Let's compromise on it being a gesture of relative restraint and leave it at that.
What I would have preferred depends on the point of the fucking exercise. What was it? Rich people are rich? Capitalism isn't a nurturing environment?

Mortmal

Arcane
Nice initiative , and truly needed as the first post i see when entering those forums is "marriage owning a house maybe?" . We should go there and beat the guy senseless with a steel crowbar, again, and again and again and again!
Now the game will probably nto turn out the dream rpg, but ill be damned if i dont try to incline it the right way.

Renegen

Arcane
What I would have preferred depends on the point of the fucking exercise. What was it? Rich people are rich? Capitalism isn't a nurturing environment?
I really don't know why VD got into this. I don't think you posted once in this thread. I'm sorry for starting this but I left it pretty broad, it's easy to make generalizations about any political movement, but that probably betrays where you get your information and what you understand of politics. If you want to really debate this, then do it privately.

Lexx

Cipher
@turn-based quotes from last page: What the hell, man. Fargo said in the video that it will be turn-based. These people cannot into understanding spoken word?

I WANT TURBASED REALTIME TO GIVE CONSENSUS FEELING OF BOTH IN TIME WHEN REALTIME IS TURNBASED REALTIME.
W2 ideas for combat handling in a nutshell.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The point was/is that the rich are getting much richer by exploiting the poor, who are getting much poorer, while at the same time sending the majority of the middle class over the line, into poverty. The point is that capitalism (which, despite its flaws, is the best system that can be implemented yet) has been subverted by the rich and turned into crony capitalism/kleptocracy, with fascism/neo-feudalism being just a stone's throw away.

Edit: OK, I'm done with this.

madbringer

Arcane
a five year old said:
Turn Base is fine for alot of the gamers, where as others...jsut get annoied. Myself being one of them, DA1 was a prime for me, I hated that combat system. So my suggestion is to allow both ^^. Make it more indepth, make the fight feel like an actul fight for say.

I UNDERSTAND THAT THE MAIZE IS CLEARING THE GLOW OF CARAMEL, BUT THE PLASMIC CABBAGE HAS RAISINS IN FLAT TYRES. IT ISN'T POSSIBLE TO KILL THE GHOST WITH TASSELS, ONLY TO CALM HIM WITH AMPHETAMINE AND THE ESOTERIC DEMAND. THE TIME IS BENDING OVER INTO THE SINUOSITY OF SIDES, SO ACTION POINTS HAVE GEODESIST AND BLOOD IN THE HELMET. I AM GREETING THE CREATINE, I LIKE PETALS OF THE LEATHER SCRAPED OFF OF REALITY. PEACE IN THE ASS.

Vault Dweller

Developer
FFS, The W2 boards should be only for people who donated at least the lowest tier. For one thing, Anhdhaira would have to fuck off.

And what's with these people who want romances, waifus, dx11, and now it seems - real time combat? Are they that stupid that they pledged money on a game that is completely counter to what they like? Because I don't think so. So why should these fuckwits have any say on the forums is beyond me
I think that Fargo overdid "let's make this game together" shtick. It really sends the wrong message. He should have said:

"All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up! I'm going to make a game I want to make, but I'll let you donate some money to make you feel like you've actually done something worth telling your children, assuming that you will find someone willing to fuck your dumb ass. Now, I know that after playing Mass Effect and Fable you are full of great ideas. See this? It's my boomstick. It's a twelve-gauge, double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. The first motherfucker to pollute my forums with his "vision" gets both barrels. Remember, if you donated, I know where you live. You got that?!?"

potatojohn

Arcane
I'm not convinced that that guy's account is credible. According to Tim Cain, Fargo liked Fallout so much he saved it when the suits were going to cancel it. He's also the one that came up with the name.

hiver

I stomped that RT/hybrid shit in my thread, and will continue to do so in others.
Wouldnt hurt to have some of you more knowledgeable in there to provide more detailed data. From time to time.

Also, gonna hype/spam AoD combat and full demo after it comes out as examples. Yeah, fuck it, one of the best examples available so ill use them where needed.

Oesophagus

Arcane
VD said:
I think that Fargo overdid "let's make this game together" shtick

I think Fargo didn't expect the project to be such a success, so he promised silly things without thinking first. At least I hope that's what it is, because god help us if he really wants to listen to the fanbase

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys, what was the goal with this vigilance? If it was maximum trolling then I think we are onto something. Especially DU.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm guessing Fargo will be keeping a lowish profile while the kickstarter runs its course. At this moment, the slightest hint that W2 might not be a waifu simulator with a wan/woman/horse/cat/goat cock for everyone and a bunch of butthurt queers will get up in arms and start campaigning against it. Better to wait for all the money to trickle in, then telling everyone to reread what it was he said at the very beginning and going "You have no idea what an old-school RPG is, do you?"

Oesophagus

Arcane
Malakal said:
Especially DU

This particular DU is from Pakistan and is an imbred moron banned from the Codex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom