Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
ToEE is 3E with move action and standard action, why do that instead of good old action points?
Why not have movement points separated from action points? I mean it makes perfect sense that you can do some things while moving, even though it might be harder and/or limit how far you can move.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why not have movement points separated from action points? I mean it makes perfect sense that you can do some things while moving, even though it might be harder and/or limit how far you can move.
Well 3E doesn't do that anyways.

I think it would be cool, but it could complicated to manage movement points and action points effectively.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

I think it would be cool, but it could complicated to manage movement points and action points effectively.
Yeah, I know, what I mainly want is to avoid the situation where you have to sacrifice your entire action in a turn to take a single step because it'll leave you a fraction of AP short of an attack.

I guess a more simple way of achieving that would be to make attacks cheap but innacurate, and let you invest AP for aiming or automatic fire.

Lhynn

Arcane

Yeah, I know, what I mainly want is to avoid the situation where you have to sacrifice your entire action in a turn to take a single step because it'll leave you a fraction of AP short of an attack.

I guess a more simple way of achieving that would be to make attacks cheap but innacurate, and let you invest AP for aiming or automatic fire.
or just let you make an attack that spends all of your remaining AP, or a defensive mode i guess, that gets better the more AP you got left.

Gord

Arcane
If you're not going to use a grid for movement, why would you use it for placement?

I guess because I'd think that it will make stuff like blocking chokepoints, handling who can attack whom, etc. easier.
But maybe I just need it to look tidy because I have an undiagnosed OCD.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Kem0sabe

Arcane

"I've never had more pressure to ship a game in my life. For sure. Kickstarter there's a lot of... I mean it's all I mean I love it. But it's very personal. You're putting yourself out there to succeed or fail for the world to see."

It's understandable, the iphone game scene is a bit more laid back in terms of pressure on the developers. Fargo just needs to adapt to the PC reality. :smug:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
You don't understand. It's all a part of the plan. When the game comes out, the choice&consequence chain will be linking to Fargo's interviews about what the game should play like.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trademark defense successful: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/30/wastland-kings-is-now-nuclear-throne/

After announcing the game for PC, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita during Sony’s press conference at gamescom, we were contacted by a Dutch employee of InXile Entertainment, the studio behind 1988 title Wasteland and the recent Kickstarter for Wasteland 2. They explained that InXile CEO Brian Fargo and some of the team were worried about possible brand confusion and argued that Wasteland Kings could be misinterpreted as a title in the ‘Wasteland’ franchise.
Brother None :codexisfor:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
AlanDutchSchaefer.jpg
Dutch-Schultz-236042-1-402.jpg

Last edited:
:lol:

Kind of like Bethesda badgering Notch about his Scrolls game or whatever it was called.

That's different. Notch filed a trademark patent for the word "Scrolls" so that any game containing that word in its title would be in potential risk of infringing upon somebody else's (ie. Notch's) property and paying for "damages" in return. Bethesda taking action against it was only natural in their own interest. It was a pretty stupid thing to do on Notch's part, for a shit little game nobody would even give a damn to infringe with shady intentions. Plus, unless I'm mistaken, he didn't even have to file a patent under the trademark laws of most of the western world as the moment your product comes into being, it becomes protected by default with its existence as legal proof.

What InXile did, however, is true scumbaggery. Plenty of games with the name Wasteland in its title. The "concern" is an utterly bullshit one.

Wasteland Angel
Nuclear Wasteland
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

I thought I remembered a few more but it doesn't seem like it. It's still ridiculous regardless.

inXile's trademark must nonetheless be defended

That sounds so ironically hilarious for some reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom