Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #34: Gamescom Demo Video, First Dev Diary Released

Gondolin

Arcane
He didn't have a radio on him, yet his wife was talking to him. Of course, she was actually talking to you, catching your attention, hence my point.

Maybe he had one when he left, but not anymore. Shit happens.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like the humor. All of a sudden RPG "LOL DONGS" Codex is in favor of subtle, highbrow humor? Give me a break, people.
The Commander humor fell short for me too.

1) My suspension of disbelief broke. It's a prerecorded message and they didn't edit it at all?

2) Zapp Brannigan and Kif did it better. I feel like they needed to go further with one of the characters. Either the Commander is even more blustery and doesn't care what language he uses (no asking if a take was good), or the other guy needs to be more of a sycophant or scared of the Commander and be unwilling to criticize but then try to spin it for the audience.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Official verdict: Codex underwhelmed by W2 demo video
And for a reason too. But, judging from the fairly mediocre amount of feedback (no 20+ pages of "Fuck this decline shit"), there's not much that's wrong. Should be (relatively) simple to fix.
But going from "SAVIOUR OF cRPGS" to "probably good for what it is" is still disappointing... :(

It certainly is. I thought the first video looked much more promising than this one even when not being as comprehensive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like the humor. All of a sudden RPG "LOL DONGS" Codex is in favor of subtle, highbrow humor? Give me a break, people.
The Commander humor fell short for me too.

1) My suspension of disbelief broke. It's a prerecorded message and they didn't edit it at all?

2) Zapp Brannigan and Kif did it better. I feel like they needed to go further with one of the characters. Either the Commander is even more blustery and doesn't care what language he uses (no asking if a take was good), or the other guy needs to be more of a sycophant or scared of the Commander and be unwilling to criticize but then try to spin it for the audience.

My impression was that the other guy isn't strictly subordinate to the Commander. The Commander is the "military leader" and the prissy guy is the "civilian leader", and the former takes the latter's advice for "civilized" matters, such as the Red Skorpions' ersatz real estate business.

And for a reason too. But, judging from the fairly mediocre amount of feedback (no 20+ pages of "Fuck this decline shit"), there's not much that's wrong. Should be (relatively) simple to fix.
But going from "SAVIOUR OF cRPGS" to "probably good for what it is" is still disappointing... :(

It certainly is. I thought the first video looked much more promising than this one even when not being as comprehensive.

So, felipepepe, time to delete your Age of Decline videos? Everything is shit once more, after all. :M

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My impression was that the other guy isn't strictly subordinate to the Commander. The Commander is the "military leader" and the prissy guy is the "civilian leader", and the former takes the latter's advice for "civilized" matters, such as the Red Skorpions' ersatz real estate business.
I was only analyzing the scenario from the view point of what would be funny(er).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was only analyzing the scenario from the view point of what would be funny(er).

Oh, I think the relationship I described could be funny enough.

As for why they didn't edit the recording - I don't know, maybe because they're a bunch of dumbass raiders? Which is probably the same reason they left open a ledge for a sniper overlook. Don't overthink it.

tuluse

Arcane
Oh, I think the relationship I described could be funny enough.

As for why they didn't edit the recording - I don't know, maybe because they're a bunch of dumbass raiders? Which is probably the same reason they left open a ledge for a sniper overlook. Don't overthink it.
If the Raiders being incompetent is a running theme, that could be interesting. However, I would bet a million dollars they're presented as a dangerous faction with lots of power.

You could still maybe make that work, but what we've seen hasn't shown InXile's ability to carefully weave disparate elements together. It could just be that we've getting too narrow of a view of things, or it could be mean they aren't that good at it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
If the Raiders being incompetent is a running theme, that could be interesting. However, I would bet a million dollars they're presented as a dangerous faction with lots of power.

Not sure about that. Keep in mind that the kid with the dog from Wasteland 1 is a member of this gang. I'm pretty sure that the Red Skorpions are going to be played at least partially for laughs.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Who caused this? Hungry and frustrated members of community devoted to years long waiting for another messiah or is it the developer who just makes a game he wants, given a small budget?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Why would the trader refuse to trade with you and make a profit?
I dunno, maybe because he puts the goods in the cart because he can't carry them? And if the cart is stuck, well... no need to trade then.
And where is the logic in that? Now that his cart is stuck he HAS to trade them. He can't carry his goods, but he can carry cash. Besides, it's not like he's stuck there forever. He can go and get help (i.e. he isn't in the middle of nowhere).

Perhaps he's just selfcentered and subborn. Not everything needs to necessarily work through perfectly practical logic, humans don't work that way. Of course it would help if the dialog reflected that to make it clear, but...

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Maybe he had one when he left, but not anymore. Shit happens.
Once you start throwing 'but what if' and 'maybe', you can explain just about anything, including the US foreign policy.

Maybe he had one, maybe he lost it, maybe his battery died, maybe his wife got delusional and forgot they only had one, maybe she was talking to her lover who was lurking around while she was faking a headache to send her husband away.

In reality, the radio felt like a way for people to grab your attention from far, far away.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I dunno, maybe because he puts the goods in the cart because he can't carry them? And if the cart is stuck, well... no need to trade then.
And where is the logic in that? Now that his cart is stuck he HAS to trade them. He can't carry his goods, but he can carry cash. Besides, it's not like he's stuck there forever. He can go and get help (i.e. he isn't in the middle of nowhere).

Perhaps he's just selfcentered and subborn. Not everything needs to necessarily work through perfectly practical logic, humans don't work that way. Of course it would help if the dialog reflected that to make it clear, but...
He's a trader. He trades stuff. Trading is what he does for a living. He doesn't have to be the most logical and practical person to wish to make a few bucks by selling things to rangers or buying stuff from them cheap. That's what traders do.

Vault Dweller

Developer
In general, no. If you meet a guy who lost his radio and need your help, it wouldn't be far-fetched at all. In the context of this quest's design and its mysteries, the lack of the radio stands out like a sore thumb. Not that him carrying a radio would make this quest any better.

Gondolin

Arcane
In general, no. If you meet a guy who lost his radio and need your help, it wouldn't be far-fetched at all. In the context of this quest's design and its mysteries, the lack of the radio stands out like a sore thumb. Not that him carrying a radio would make this quest any better.

I'll grant that his swift appearance is far too gimmicky.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron

He's a trader. He trades stuff. Trading is what he does for a living. He doesn't have to be the most logical and practical person to wish to make a few bucks by selling things to rangers or buying stuff from them cheap. That's what traders do.

Yes, that's what traders do, obviously. But... Yeah, it's all what if's, logic says he should sell. What I'm trying to say is that, as a situation that it is, it is interpretable to a degree and also prone to misinterpretation, there should be an explained narrative reason for him to not sell. You know, building the character and his personality (more so since he apparently will appear later on if you help him). My initial interpretation of the situation was that he's sort of blackmailing the potential customer in need "if you want shit, start pushing". Him not selling is a good consequence for not helping, but it needs to be conveyed better to the player as to why exactly.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Who caused this? Hungry and frustrated members of community devoted to years long waiting for another messiah or is it the developer who just makes a game he wants, given a small budget?
Obviously a tight budget limits what you can do, but the most glaring issues I have can't all be blamed on money.

The Shadowrun team didn't have the budget (or experience) to even make a proper saving system, for example, and had to cut corners on assets and player interations... however, on W2 you see all the assets and game mechanics needed for a great RPG, just badly employed. Looking at what they showed, it looks perfectly possible to use their editor to make a new Fallout, with open levels, interesting skills checks and even a more complex, party-based combat, but the inXile team is using all that to make a "Theme Park" level and retarded design choices, like the convenient goats near the minefield or the convenient sniper point next to the raider's base... there's no blaming budget for that.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Hasn't Fargo said WL2 is the biggest RPG he ever worked on? That plus what they pitched means it's fair to judge WL2 against high standards.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Obviously a tight budget limits what you can do, but the most glaring issues I have can't all be blamed on money.

The Shadowrun team didn't have the budget (or experience) to even make a proper saving system, for example, and had to cut corners on assets and player interations... however, on W2 you see all the assets and game mechanics needed for a great RPG, just badly employed. Looking at what they showed, it looks perfectly possible to use their editor to make a new Fallout, with open levels, interesting skills checks and even a more complex, party-based combat, but the inXile team is using all that to make a "Theme Park" level and retarded design choices, like the convenient goats near the minefield or the convenient sniper point next to the raider's base... there's no blaming budget for that.

Josh Sawyer doesn't seem like such a bad guy anymore, huh? I wonder if he's reading this thread and smiling.

I've asked Brother None to show off one of Wasteland 2's wide open non-linear areas in the next Kickstarter update. Hopefully he will comply - apparently most of the fans care more about minor things like the stupid grid.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Goofiness is perfect given that this is a sequel to Wasteland; in fact, the more silliness the better.
Worked so well for Fallout 3, didn't it?

*shrug shrug* Irrelevant.
Au contraire, Ms. Bee. It's very relevant (special thanks to Infinitron who mentioned Fallout 2 here). See, Fallout 2 had wacky shit - the rat king, talking deathclaws, yakuza, giant robots and such, but they were treated seriously, as if they made perfect sense and fit right in. Even some explanations were provided. Fallout 3 was retarded because they treated everything like lulz.

I'm not trying to attack the game here. I was genuinely impressed with many things, but the loudspeaker humor was Bethesda-level 'funny' and rubbed me the wrong way. The "child's rhyme" line, "something about a flag and a nation" was fucking great though.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've asked Brother None to show off one of Wasteland 2's wide open non-linear areas in the next Kickstarter update. Hopefully he will comply - apparently most of the fans care more about minor things like the stupid grid.
I wouldn't count on it. We'll answer a number of concerns, but as to the answer of what is the level design like, are there enough hub-like areas, I dunno if there'll be much in the way of definitive answers. It needs to be covered indepth if it's covered at all, it deserves a pretty expansive look, it's quite possible there's just no way for us to show it properly, and you won't get a good feel for it until you have the beta in your hands. But hey, that's not too far out anymore now.

And yes, please do keep judging it with very high standards in mind.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
See, Fallout 2 had wacky shit - the rat king, talking deathclaws, yakuza, giant robots and such, but they were treated seriously, as if they made perfect sense and fit right in.

:lol:

I'm not trying to attack the game here. I was genuinely impressed with many things, but the loudspeaker humor was Bethesda-level 'funny' and rubbed me the wrong way. The "child's rhyme" line, "something about a flag and a nation" was fucking great though.

I think the fact that it's voiced just doesn't appeal to you. You know how there are things that don't sound stupid until you've said them out loud?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom