Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #31: OMG DISTRIBUTION DEAL, also new HUD screenshots

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Just to clarify a bit of confusion, we are reading the feedback and are not "locked-in" on anything design-wise right now. The HUD is very WIP and there are different pieces of feedback we agree with too (the buttons around the gun display need some work, for instance, and more texture work is needed, yes).

I also think it'd be nice to offer an option for a "classic-style UI" where it's just a single bar at the bottom of the screen (so something like Phantasmal mocked up), we're discussing that now (on a Sunday! Heh). If you keep the same functionality/buttons and it's essentially a paintover it could be doable. We're looking into that, though no promises yet, it'll depend on time/cost etc. More just saying, the feedback has been followed and is of interest.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Not sure if this has been covered yet but are your writers retard, Brother None? Shouldn't that text read: "Raiders dressed in scrapyard armor, wielding guns and construction tools..."

and not: "Raiders and dressed and in and scrapyard and armor and wielding guns and construction and tools..."?

Dammit. Do a good job if you're going to do it at all. If you're going to include text, can you hire somebody with at least one year of English experience?

Saduj

Arcane
Now that the GUI is being sorted out, is there any way we can get a rotated view of that screenshot so we can check if the coupling on that trailer is up to snuff?:M

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Also that UI really is an inconsistent, aesthetically unpleasant hunk of dogshit. Sorry, BN and inX. It just stinks.

KithKanan

Novice
Not sure if this has been covered yet but are your writers retard, Brother None? Shouldn't that text read: "Raiders dressed in scrapyard armor, wielding guns and construction tools..."

and not: "Raiders and dressed and in and scrapyard and armor and wielding guns and construction and tools..."?

Dammit. Do a good job if you're going to do it at all. If you're going to include text, can you hire somebody with at least one year of English experience?

Which screenshot is your second example from? The official ones BN posted that I've seen read the way you say they should read. :?

Edit: Or were you exaggerating? I agree I'd prefer the comma where you have it rather than the 'and' in the original text, but not enough to say the person who wrote it has no English experience.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really like Phantasmal 's mockup. As I was looking at it, the lights above the AP counter made me realize you could increase the lights to 5 and then express AP in binary.

vAD1dG.jpg

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I like the mockup as well, way better than my mspaint job. Still a lot of dead space between the portraits and the weapon screen/dialogue window. I don't like the lights jutting out from the UI like that, they could easily fit into the UI so the look was more uniform.

A user named cat

Well I kind of just slapped the portraits and hotkey bar on the middle element, which is just a rusted locker turned sideways and color matched. I'm sure they could essentially design something better to connect the corner elements, maybe some type of geiger counter or old rusted radio? I only want to see a solid, themed UI to match the graphics they'd already done.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well I kind of just slapped the portraits and hotkey bar on the middle element, which is just a rusted locker turned sideways and color matched. I'm sure they could essentially design something better to connect the corner elements, maybe some type of geiger counter or old rusted radio? I only want to see a solid, themed UI to match the graphics they'd already done.
Yes, you work is obviously just a proof-of-concept thing, but you did a good job collating the general feeling and making a showcase/poc of the style people here would prefer, so it was a good thing to show the others. So, good job!

I don't see it?

That said, typos and formatting errors will happen, as will sloppy grammar. Writing's iterative too, and we're several editing passes out from final. No doubt the beta will pick up a lot of that too. Most writers do not output in perfect, flawless English.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
BN, any answers for my questions in the other thread? They were not sarcastic questions.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, you work is obviously just a proof-of-concept thing, but you did a good job collating the general feeling and making a showcase/poc of the style people here would prefer, so it was a good thing to show the others. So, good job!
I'm just curious, are the devs taking these suggestions positively? What I mean, isn't the guy who made that awful UI is a little butthurt, hurt in his pride? Especially when someone here made a better looking mockup UI in notime?

hiver

:roll: o_O

yes matt, yes. they rip their design docs into pieces screaming in impotent rage and throw mouses at their monitors around the office all day. just for you.

and Fargo is played by Steve Carell too.

I tell you... if i was designing a game and saw such comments on teh codex i would be ripping apart a new shirt off my chest everyday :lol:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:roll: o_O

yes matt, yes. they rip their design docs into pieces screaming in impotent rage and throw mouses at their monitors around the office all day. just for you.

and Fargo is played by Steve Carell too.

I tell you... if i was designing a game and saw such comments on teh codex i would be ripping apart a new shirt off my chest everyday :lol:
It was just an innocent question. No need to hurt my feelings. :oops:

hiver

I would rather let the lord decide who is innocent or not.... :P

Truth is probably somewhere in between. Some few specific things various fans ... added... were on a sharper end of intake then some InXile early ideas.

So far it has been mostly a fruitful collaboration and most of early stuff inXile released is a "work in progress" - so feedback is expected. And - any artists worth his salt quickly learns to feed on that and improve on collaboration.
The craft is incorporating the feedback and improving through iterations and upgrades. Most good artists just see new angles and opportunities and possibilities from comments and critiques - if they are worded in some normal manner instead of "this is shit" idiotic piles of empty statements.
Not that they can always incorporate it or change some specific design - because of other parts of the game and general funding and all that side of the business.

its really a naive kind of question.
and a worthless thing to consider anyway, since if its true - it only gives a negative outcome.

so... useless.

also:

EVXtG.png

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Yes, I was exaggerating. That first "and" was unnecessary. I just hate that kind of sloppy writing/editing.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't get all the shit over the UI whatever. But is the UI at least XMI based, as in modders can change and do what ever they want with it, similar to how NWN2's UI is?

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I really like Phantasmal 's mockup. As I was looking at it, the lights above the AP counter made me realize you could increase the lights to 5 and then express AP in binary.

I see a problem with that mockup: the original hud has space for 7 character portrait, this mockup only has space for four.

Apologies if that has been brought up before.

A user named cat

Well things can be shifted around, including portraits. I also didn't include all the added icons either from their new HUD. Unfortunately I deleted the project file like a dumbass and I don't feel like pen cutting all that again.

A user named cat

Alright, I went ahead and started over for the hell of it to see if I could make a better one. Not professional quality or anything but still along the lines of how I wish they'd do it. Background is from Stasis artist.

1s0cQsa.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's much nicer, although the background looks like something out of an RTS and doesn't really fit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom