Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #23: Gameplay Video!

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh my god I loved it.

:love:

Almost teared up watching the video I did.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I've been a bit sceptical about the game since the scorpitron screenshot, but this is starting to look good. The video didn't have anything that would've got me really excited, but overall it seems that they know what they are doing. I especially liked the pseudo-simulationist approach to opening doors, because "pretty much all games get it wrong" (J.S.).

Visually the game isn't anything special, but the interior areas look better than I expected and the camera seems like something you can easily live with.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Holy Triad of Incline:
  1. Digital distribution (Steam)
replace that with gog and you might have a deal

friggin steamtards
Steam isn't the hero we deserve, but it is the one we need right now. M:

The point is getting rid of Gamestop and all the other physical retail parasites. (Amazon would also be an acceptable substitute for Steam, though)

Let's not get into this argument here, though.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've said it and i'll say it again, voice acting is good. It blends the right amount of cheesiness and true originality, and manages to fit the setting while still be engaging.

^
How to sell amateurish production values to retards.

Repressed Homosexual
Geez, can you say Fallout with a party? They're trying so hard to make it look and play exactly like Fallout.

Also why did the flies didn't notice the guys that were basically just 2 meters away from them and making noise?

MCA
Motherfucking HEXAGONAL GRID FUCK YEAHR!

I love it but I have some reservations. And is it me or is there no fog of war? No FOW would be pretty fucking bad for a tactical game. I know it's just a demo video but it was basically cheating when you could see both the enemy and his cone of field and just shoot him at your leisure like that.

Also, Brian, I hope you are reading this: CAMERA!

The engine being Unity, I hope you will give us access to camera control scripts because camera in 3D iso games is a love it or hate it affair for a lot of people. Practically speaking, camera in all 3D iso tactical games suck. There are very few exceptions and whether WL2 will be one is uncertain. I love the smooth fading effects, though. A few things I already don't like and need:

Lock/Unlock camera to ranger/rangers. I want to move/drag the scene on my own accord, not on my rangers'.
Camera elevation is always problematic and it looked a little troublesome in the video as well.
Projection type. Let us choose between perspective and orthographic. Note that there would also be no elevation issue in orthographic projection.
Allow us to set field of view for perspective.

Gozma

Arcane
It looks like Wasteland 1 gameplay and writing except there are long shitty animations and progress bars to slow it down to a crawl

alternately

Looks like one of those Russian RPGs that exist but no one on the Codex talks about. Which would be pretty good if they had acceptable translations and didn't CTD every thirty seconds... so good luck Inexile

Zeronet

Learned
I noticed you were getting orders from the Ranger Citadel and not the Ranger Center.

hiver

As Keywords are concerned.

It seems to me that there should be some dialogue options in other specific circumstances because well... the player will be able to make choices on how to handle things.
While it may be theoretically possible to do that just by actions alone... i dont think it can really work throughout the entire game.

mikaelis

The portrait seemed a bit too blatantly direct to me... but then again... it all may play a role and being a bit intentionally cheesy is one of the original core styles.

Mastermind is a moron who prefers bethesda/holywood/CoD style voice overs. Style over substance shallow faggot.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
THEY'RE BREAKING DOWN THE FUCKING DOOR

Herp derp.

but at least the grognard shits can get what they want.

While deranged retards who don't actually like RPGs but for some reason are desperate to play them and babble all day long about them will get what they want with PE. So, yeah, go dance with your boyfriend and stop posting retarded shit.

That being said, looks pretty good. Camera will probably suck. I can't wait to have to rotate the camera around every fucking corner.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Looking good. Game is starting to come together, slowly. I dug the radio voices. I hope it plays a bigger part in the actual game. I guess some people will be disappointed that it lacks acid visuals, but I like how the game looks. Combat looks like it'll be fun too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BUT TIM CAIN SAID THREE YEARS ARE REQUIRED HOW CAN THIS BE
?

How can what be? What do you think takes 3 years? Making levels? Basic combat mechanics?

Don't play coy.

I wish Fargo nothing but the best and I'm very excited about the game. It gives us hope and out of all KS projects, that's the one I'm interested in the most. My ONLY concern is the 18-month development time. It's just not enough and I hope that Fargo isn't planning to stick with it, because if he does, the quality will suffer, to say politely.

I've been following games for a long time and I can't think of a decent RPG (developed from scratch) that was made under 3 years. Games that can be done in 1.5 years or so are games like Kotor 2 - you have the engine, all systems (character, combat, inventory, maps, journal, etc), art assets, etc, but we all know what state Kotor 2 was shipped at.

Naturally, and that's been my argument all along. No engine - 3+ years. Existing engine (not the same as a licensed engine) with systems and assets - 1.5-2 years.

Btw, in case you're wondering, they didn't built the engine from scratch. They used the Havok engine. Also, one of the interviews says that they started working on the new engine when they shipped Witcher 1, so we're definitely talking about 3+ years:

"It was one of the first things our programmers sat to, right after releasing The Witcher. Our engine has been rewritten mostly due to specific, RPG related tool requirements that we've had."

Derek Larp

Cipher
Camera is shit.

Looks pretty solid otherwise.

Also made me want to install fallout again for some reason...

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
How to sell amateurish production values to retards.

Yep. Keep posturing lil' buddy. Maybe someone will give a fuck.

What are you people expecting anyway ? W2's plot and setting will be similar to say, JA2's : where the latter was reminiscent of cheesy 80s and 90s TV action shows, the former will be a throwback to 80s post-apocalyptic sci-fi... Which i'm afraid needs a certain amount of cheesiness.

But again maybe you'd prefer your punk desert raiders to be dubbed by Patrick Stewart...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
BUT TIM CAIN SAID THREE YEARS ARE REQUIRED HOW CAN THIS BE
?

How can what be? What do you think takes 3 years? Making levels? Basic combat mechanics?

Don't play coy.

I wish Fargo nothing but the best and I'm very excited about the game. It gives us hope and out of all KS projects, that's the one I'm interested in the most. My ONLY concern is the 18-month development time. It's just not enough and I hope that Fargo isn't planning to stick with it, because if he does, the quality will suffer, to say politely.

I've been following games for a long time and I can't think of a decent RPG (developed from scratch) that was made under 3 years. Games that can be done in 1.5 years or so are games like Kotor 2 - you have the engine, all systems (character, combat, inventory, maps, journal, etc), art assets, etc, but we all know what state Kotor 2 was shipped at.
I'm not playing coy. I stand by what I said (while hoping that Fargo can deliver the game by the end of the year).

The video is pretty good, like I said, and the atmosphere is top notch. A lot of things look very promising, but I can assure you that the video doesn't say anything about Fargo's chances to deliver on time.

Edit: I see that you added another quote. In which ways these quotes contradict to what I said in this thread?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom