Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland 2 - I want to believe

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DriacKin said:
This has the potential to be a bigger disaster than Fallout 3.

I don't think anyone could out do that disaster.

Luzur

Good Sir
Blackadder said:
Luzur said:
JarlFrank said:
Shannow said:
JarlFrank said:
What's with the "You need to have been in the industry for X years!!!!" in every single of these job offers?
In the German market (which should be interesting for you) job offers are often full of bullshit in any industry. Not only to discourage nerds. There is a fear of being sued for discrimation or some such if they don't take somebody who would have fulfilled the requirements. So they make the requirements artificially high to be in a position to take or not take applicants without having to justify themselves. You should always keep that in mind. BTW, are you finished with your Abi? Any plans?

Finished this year. No plans yet. Gotta do 9 months of forced labour (Zivildienst) first, then I'll think about what to study. Working as a translator for games would be interesting.

did you do a crime? zivildienst (community service) are what you order lighter criminals into here where i live.

The Fatherland does this to all their junge volk at 19 or 20. Some age like that.

hmm....this could be used here aswell. Germany got many useful ideas worth copying.

Luzur

Good Sir
well, since our glorious government has decided to decimate our own military further, community service could be the right way to get these "new generation" of youths off their asses and do something productive other then running amock around town at midnight.

building or improving roads for a year or two in deepest Norrland would do wonders.

Rhalle said:
I wonder if they'd hire me with 25 years of game playing, a love of Wasteland and a couple of degrees in English? :shock:
If you're serious about applying, the main thing you need to do is present yourself as understanding the mechanics of game creation. I would write an outline of a simple quest, formatted in a way that looks professional, that includes multiple solution paths and is heavy on dialogue. There should only be one character, or maybe two. The sample shoudn't be more than 15 pages. Use MS Word hyperlinks to do the dialogue.

If you have any experience with NWN modding or other game creation, mention it in the cover letter. Play down your Wasteland zealotry and play up your practicality.

The main reason you would get rejected is that they'd see your credentials and think, "This is going to be one of those guys who rights 500 pages of (highly literate) fan fiction and calls it a game story."

--EDIT--

That said, with heavy layoffs in the industry, the odds of someone with no actual experience getting a job right now are slim to none.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom