Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Wasteland 2 Gets Official Clothing and Accessories Line

Kahlis

Cipher
Precisely. Skyrim is too mainstream, cool is the sequel to a pre-historic RPG that they never heard about before, that is "the father of Fallout 3" and was created through crowdfunding, foiling evil corporations... how the game actually plays is completly irrelevant to that matter.
A post-apocalyptic 1970's/80's pulp science fiction grunge setting would be all too appealing to them to pick up on. In the way that Skyrim popularized the completely shallow low-fantasy "hurr dragnz vikings yea" grimdark setting, so too do we have CD Projekt lauding how deep and mature their games are because there's copious amounts of profanity and sex scenes. Fallout 3 brought themes of McCarthyism and pre-war culture to absurdly exaggerated levels (you barely had them in FO1/2 beyond the Enclave), cultivating a new fanbase that circlejerks over retro-futurism and Nuka-Cola. I am all too worried that hipsters will always be able to, in some capacity, to co-opt these sorts of things.

I don't think it's a particularly great issue, certainly not in the short term with the development of Wasteland 2 which is more rooted in the intents and ideals of its predecessor, but since the Fallout series is effectively lost to us I'd hate to see Wasteland gaining a particularly great deal of attention itself. Especially if Fargo plans to do more games after this, because right now the series is relatively without a strong sense of identity. I'd rather have this one personal, intimate and long-overdue sequel serve as a call to fans of older RPGs and a reminder to the industry that there is always a place for what the fans want, than it becoming totally commercialized.

Marsal

Arcane
Who would honestly wear such stuff on the street, protecting your virginity nice and tight?

Indeed. You wouldn't need something cheap and gaudy to protect your virginity would, you SS? :smug:

tumblr_ltf3zdO9SE1qcsp5b.gif

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So how much time did they spend developing the clothing line - and how much development time does that mean they'll be short of when it comes to actually making this game they're supposed to be making?

Esquilax

Arcane
Can you sell t-shirts to hyped hipsters on Jinx and still release a classical, hardcore RPG they'll probably hate?

But you see, therein lies the brilliance; they'll like it just to be ironic. Fargo is a genius.

Well played, good sir.

:excellent:

Duckard

Augur
Shitty graphic tees and hoodies. I doubt anyone would buy Wasteland 2 shirts to wear ironically. It's easier to just go to a thrift store for bonus hipster cred and to avoid wasting money. Plus Wasteland 2 is not so well known as to broadcast the irony well enough. Exudes more irony to wear something like a #YOLO t-shirt, or a gaudy shirt depicting a mainstream band/musician you dislike.

Old bastards who played the original Wasteland probably don't give a fuck, or know better than to buy graphic tees. I imagine a good portion would throw money at it if it was collectible, though.

The market for these shirts is likely the reddit/SA "geek chic" crowd. The kind of people who buy things from thinkgeek and actually believe in things like gamer culture.

I can't say if it would sell well or not, but this basically seems like a licensing type thing where J!NX does all the production and sales and Fargo just let's them use the Wasteland brand. I doubt it has anything to do with using the Kickstarter money to start an apparel business.

MCA
Red flag! Evacuate the ship! It means they are burning through money like Melcar does on hookers so they need the extra cash injection via retarded hips shit see through the project.

Derpy

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fargo always came across a smarmy pratt which is why I never donated. I have way more faith in the integrity of Avellon and co to come through with P:E .

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great Codex Schism of 2013/2014: Feargoids (VD) vs Fargoids (DU)

As the Prophet Cleve says
Things don't really change over millennia. Melonheads still are melonheads who can only function if they have slaves to oppress, Homo Sapiens is still an ass monkey and Neanderthals are still supermen who can't talk to girls and have trouble making small talk. Nothing has changed in thousands upon thousands of years. There is some inbreeding between the species, names and places change but it is still the same play with the same actors. Things today are much as they were in the past, same basic races going to and fro upon the earth.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
My bet is

- W2: Flawed Fallout-like game
- PE: Flawed Dragon Age-like game

Choose your team now.

Who would honestly wear such stuff on the street, protecting your virginity nice and tight?

The brand is obscure enough that the shirts rely on your Aspergers skill to determine your virginity's armor rating.

Girl: Wuts Waistland?

Crispite: Oh it's a videogame, more precisely a sequel to an old RPG that will return to the turn-based roots of the genr- wait, don't go!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

The brand is obscure enough that the shirts rely on your Aspergers skill to determine your virginity's armor rating.

Girl: Wuts Waistland?

Crispite: Oh it's a videogame, more precisely a sequel to an old RPG that will return to the turn-based roots of the genr- wait, don't go!
Wasteland 2 magical t-shirts makes girls talk to you

Emily

Arcane
Why would you buy a t-shirt to a game that dosent even exist.. Hell even the basic gameplay dosen't exist yet.
What motivation you have to waste money on more support when they already got funded, and is time to show something for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom