Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Colorfulness - Community Vote

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Voted for a. If it doesn't burn my eyes, it's not my wasteland. I think?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Voted A. I'm just bored with the way games look these days and don't mind bright and vibrant colors. And anyone calling themselves a Wasteland fan and complaining about colors is just full of shit.

I don't know, C looks like washed out shit, but A really looks ugly to me and hurts my eyes. But anyway, I'm glad that everyone will be happy, as you will be able to choose between A,B and C in in-game options anyway. I voted B.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The sharpening filter's not going to be used in-game, right..? It's not doing what it's supposed to be doing. How very amateur-mod. Does Fargo hire amateur modders for his art department?

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Doesn't look like a sunset at all... They should tint the fuck out of the entire thing with orange. Everywhere. Hard.

GhostBadger

Agree with Jaesun, Metro, Grunker et al. What the fuck is this chickenshit uproar? The Fargmeister should stop thrashing down at this level of detail with the crowd.

Pretty please, with sugar on top, build the fucking game.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, this kind of decision? Brian, you guys have ARTISTS. You hired them to make these kinds of decisions. We funded you to hire those artists to make those decisions. So make those decisions, and stand by them, instead of releasing one shot and then pussyfooting round a bloody saturation poll.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think it looks good so far. Picked B. since all options will be available, better to have the middle of the road as default. What I'm liking though is the level of zoom here. For TB iso it's about optimal.

Yeah, this kind of decision? Brian, you guys have ARTISTS. You hired them to make these kinds of decisions. We funded you to hire those artists to make those decisions. So make those decisions, and stand by them, instead of releasing one shot and then pussyfooting round a bloody saturation poll.

I think Brian just wants to keep the public happy and feeling they are a part of it somehow. It's not like he asked about anything else regarding that screenshot and it's obvious that they've churned out quite a bit of art already without feedback of any kind. Probably felt that he needed to get the backers feeling that they are important.

kaizoku

Arcane
ITT
2wCEu.jpg

it's not a fucking choice since it's configurable, who the fuck cares about the default setting

and that was also the reason Fargo asked about feedback, fake edit: what Zed said
a very smart move that makes everyone happy

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks good enough for me whichever one they go with. Although C looks a bit ridiculous.

Alex

Arcane
let's just use brightened ja2 sprites instead

(img)

I like sprites

I really wished they had gone the 2D route. I wouldn't mind sacrificing having lots of animations for there being only a few ones instead either to get it. Alas, as we say here in Brazil, Inês is dead.

Still, of the given options, I actually liked A the most, except for the ground, for which I liked B more.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

(img)

I like sprites

I really wished they had gone the 2D route. I wouldn't mind sacrificing having lots of animations for there being only a few ones instead either to get it. Alas, as we say here in Brazil, Inês is dead.

Still, of the given options, I actually liked A the most, except for the ground, for which I liked B more.
Oh yeah?! I'd rather have just text and a parser!:dance:

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Fuck the grimdark crowd. Wasteland. Is. Not. Fallout. That being said, introducing a slider for this would probably be a good idea.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane

it's not too late to make wasteland 2 into an interactive fiction roguelike

as a bonus we can all choose the font type and color we want

does unity engine support IF games

>shoot groin of mutant clown

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Voted A. I'm just bored with the way games look these days and don't mind bright and vibrant colors. And anyone calling themselves a Wasteland fan and complaining about colors is just full of shit.
The complains are mostly about the colours being painful to look at, not being vibrant and bright.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Fuck the grimdark crowd. Wasteland. Is. Not. Fallout.

So Fallout is grimdark too now.

Cool stuff man. Anything that's not full of burning colors is grimdark now. Fuck you and your crowd.
Also "grimdark" can be good when used appropriately and fits the theme. If it's overused today it doesn't mean that nobody should use it anymore or that we have to go to the other extreme to pretend to be edgy.
Not saying it fits Wasteland, but when you claim that Fallout is grimdark too, then it's clear you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

And anyone calling themselves a Wasteland fan and complaining about colors is just full of shit.

DERP. It's not like when Wasteland came out all games had the same bright colors. Wasteland clearly got its fans for its innovative use of colors. :roll:

Alex

Arcane

(img)

I like sprites

I dunno, Ex. I think text and parser with images, like the early Legend Entertainment games, are the best option to be sincere M:

it's not too late to make wasteland 2 into an interactive fiction roguelike

as a bonus we can all choose the font type and color we want

does unity engine support IF games

>shoot groin of mutant clown

I am still hoping for at least a bit of parser* action in Wasteland, even if it only happens as an "ask me about" button.

*I know that isn't really a parser.

Johannes

Arcane
There's some color issues on the original, but I don't think fiddling with saturation is the right way to handle them. Ok, they won't just be pushing this filtering on the endproduct, but still I don't really like any of these much when it comes to coloring.
As a simplification, make the sand a tad less orange and/or change its lighting a bit, and keep everything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom