Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Help

pippin

And having to guess is never cool.

Completely disagree. More like guessing it's figuring out, and it's part of the games and their enjoyment.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Completely disagree. More like guessing it's figuring out, and it's part of the games and their enjoyment.

No, I'm talking literal guessing.

One thing is "there's a well here" and you can figure out you need rope to climb down it. Another thing is when you are told, for example, "there's a hole in the ground". What size? What kind of hole? It's information, vital information, you aren't getting.

I can't remember the exact cases in Wasteland 1, but there were times when I was like "how the fuck am I supposed to figure this out without a walkthrough?". Because you aren't: you are supposed to try everything you can, which makes it boring fairly quickly.

In particular I remember having to stand in one precise square to trigger a response, or something like it.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I have to agree, I love Wasteland but there were a couple of things in the game that could be annoying like that, I would highly recommend just using a FAQ or whatever to get past when you get stuck. As the others said this is the 'charm' of the old games but sometimes its just irritating. Its easily worth finishing the game, there are some awesome concepts in it.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Lucas9 You talk about the card delivery in the bar? Yeah, that was like "fucking devs". But if you see a hole or something in a game where you can use in theory "all your items and skills", is because maybe you can enter it. In Wasteland you have to use your instincts (logic most of the times) to solve the problem.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Lucas9 You talk about the card delivery in the bar? Yeah, that was like "fucking devs". But if you see a hole or something in a game where you can use in theory "all your items and skills", is because maybe you can enter it. In Wasteland you have to use your instincts (logic most of the times) to solve the problem.

Yep, I remember it being something in a bar. I was like "why can't I talk to this guy and give it to him", but turns out I think you had to sit in front of him, and then interact with the table, or some silly crap like that.

Overall, that and the hole in the ground were the only big things I remember being annoyed with in the game. Mostly because when I heard "hole" I imagined a small hole or something (I actually knew how to solve it only because I saw a playthrough of another guy to get me into liking the game).

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Anyway, that part was not important to complete the game, the first "quests" was some kind of clues (in the manual says you were send to investigate some shit, being the Ag. Center, Highpool and Rail Nomads the best part to start). Sometimes the experience makes the difference in those games, when I started with old rpgs I sucked balls in "guessing" things like you and now still often.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Yeah the enviroment puzzles are pretty cryptic at times and not very intuitive, but to me thats the charm of those games. This is often the case with innovative products. They are flawed, rough diamonds. But thats alright, i admire them for what they already had, not what they lack. Its almost like i can smell the freshness in concept the game had back then when it was released. I am also pretty astounded how much of the actual Fallout formula is already in the game. Fix the water pump, shady fast food stands with questionable sources of meat, quirky post fallout religion glorifying technology from the past as some form of godly power, roughing up bullying gangs, killing children, robo detectives, angsty mayors.

Makes Fallout 1 look much more look like an homage than i perceived it before.

I also already had one casualty because of the ironman-like save system. I interrupted some card game and the gentlemen were not pleased. Hell Razor ate one too many bullets and i couldnt get him up from serious condition. When i arrived at highpool he was already a goner. Well, such is the life of a ranger after all.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
One thing is "there's a well here" and you can figure out you need rope to climb down it. Another thing is when you are told, for example, "there's a hole in the ground". What size? What kind of hole? It's information, vital information, you aren't getting.

What hole are you talking about? I don't remember any random holes in the ground that were just "There's a hole!"

Think the problem with folks not acclimated to older games is that it represents a point in time where you had to read the manual. Wasteland really tries to allow multiple solutions to every problem, including violence. This is also difficult for people to understand: a point in time where you could use multiple methods to solve any problem.

The reason the Headcrusher problem was so difficult is because it's one of the few points in the game where there was only one specific way of dealing with the situation. Almost every other situation allows for different ways of resolution. The game shouldn't be thrown out for this one quest, but praised for every other thing it did right.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
And I remember that when you use your perception appears a message saying that you can use a rope or something like that, but I really don't remember clearly (long time since last playthrogh).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What hole are you talking about? I don't remember any random holes in the ground that were just "There's a hole!"

Pretty sure it was in that cave where you can descend in Highpool. My memory may fail me, bear in mind I'm talking early 2016.

Anyhow, of course I criticize the game based on something that didn't exist back then. For its time, I'm sure Wasteland blew the world away.

Krivol

Magister
Yeah, that cave in Highpool is quite hard to notice IIRC, but kid close to it could mention this hole. I'm not sure as I played it ages ago.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Yes, there are notes in the shop that mention the cave and that kid who you can ask of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom