Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Was the VAMPIRE SEX in Bloodlines out of character for World of Darkness vampires?

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Use logic, combinatorics and musical training to write a melody that sounds..... adequate, at best
You don't have to write a masterpiece for centuries to screw someone or fulfill a comission. Going by theory alone suffices here, and if you know your onions, that's quite combinatoric

Not even saying that the majority of pop shit today is written using the same four chord progression, and this shit sells for millions

Lambach

Arcane
You don't have to write a masterpiece for centuries to screw someone or fulfill a comission. Going by theory alone suffices here, and if you know your onions, that's quite combinatoric

Not even saying that the majority of pop shit today is written using the same four chord progression, and this shit sells for millions

And all of that is more akin to a product assembled in a Chinese sweatshop than a work of art. It semi-convincingly mimics art, but really isn't.

So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to learn that the entire Billboard Hot 100 was written by a bunch of Toreador, who are able to successfully mechanically follow the steps to assemble a high-selling product, but simply lack that human spark of creativity and inspiration to actually write a work of art.

mondblut

Arcane
What's even the point of living forever and having charm powers and superhuman endurance if you can't bang chicks?

If you ever asked yourself why VtM is all mopey and angsty instead of reveling the shit out of your condition — that's why.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
Gentle reminder the only liquid Vampires have in their bodies is blood, which obviously includes any and all discharge.

Sorry for off-topic, but I had to share this after seeing Cannibal Corpse song :D

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Jeanette isn't seducing the PC, she's breaking fourth wall to seduce the player.
I think this is the correct way to look at it. Doing a Malkavian run it becomes pretty clear that they see the world very differently and I always had the impression that we're supposed to believe the PC's split personality is us the player.
Makes a bit less sense for the other clans but I'd choc it up to the games rushed development. That said it could be Jeanette is aware she's a video game character just like the PC is.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
They'll prefer to feed on them. They won't fuck them. Just like a gay guy that got Embraced may prefer to feed on other guys, but won't fuck them. Because A) they don't feel the need to do it and B) the act itself isn't really pleasurable, certainly nowhere nearly as pleasurable as just feeding
What I am trying to say is that there were options (even as far as the 1st Edition, if memory serves) to go into the "I am a spy" mode in terms of upholding the Masquerade that could be used by the players, and giving them strong role-playing reasons to cling to the remainders of their human side as much as possible. Keep in mind that Vampire the Masquerade is all about acting/pretending for vampires to be humans. Not just for the sake of the Masquerade (although that would be the most important reason to keep up appearances) but also for their own. At least until they start feeling detached enough to not care.

That said, I think we both agree that majority vampires will prefer - as a general thing - getting their way by other means than having sex with humans. The modern approach to vampires is bullshit, with no real thought behind it. Plain and simple.

So that's how we ended up with the infamous Rudi
We ended up with Rudi because of some "popular" trend (popular in the media, at the moment. I bet most real people don't give a flying fuck). That's it. There is really no point to go any deeper than this. It's not even worth considering the idea.

Or they might, like Jeanette does. It's not a 'modern vampire thing'. Vampires were always sexual in literature and whoever thinks the target audience for these games never sexualized VTM is just kidding themselves. I think you're trying too hard to find things to be pissed off at.
I think of it more like a hunter playing with the food. But you're right that from the human perspective vampires are extremely sexualized, because humans are very sexual creatures.

Last edited:

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Given they are indeed living corpses, I don't think it is possible for a WoD vampire to have real sex. They can pretend to have it and maybe even make seducing mortals a game but it is just a pale shadow of the real thing. As far as Jeanette goes, we don't even know if she is really having sex or just thinking she is, given her mental state, everything is possible. The interactions with her as a Malkavian player character were very interesting as they show how crazy both of them are and it is telling how non-seductive they are. So, no, I don't think it was out of character for Jeanette. The problem more lies in the player character as most of them should either be unable to have sex or not be interested in it. I guess Troika wanted to give male players some hot goth girl action and bent the rules to make it fit.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
On a more serious note,I never understood this fixation with vamps and how they fuck. They are souls trapped in dead bodies,so it is pretty much necrophilia. A vampire has only one pleasure,which is blood. Also power. Power and blood go hand in hand,so the more powerful a vampire is,the easier it is for him to have access to blood(high quality blood). As I said,vamps are complete degenerates,monsters who delude themselves by thinking that Humanity and other Paths keep the Beast at bay in the long run. You think it's a coincidence that Elders have really low Humanity/Path scores?

BruceVC

Magister
On a more serious note,I never understood this fixation with vamps and how they fuck. They are souls trapped in dead bodies,so it is pretty much necrophilia. A vampire has only one pleasure,which is blood. Also power. Power and blood go hand in hand,so the more powerful a vampire is,the easier it is for him to have access to blood(high quality blood). As I said,vamps are complete degenerates,monsters who delude themselves by thinking that Humanity and other Paths keep the Beast at bay in the long run. You think it's a coincidence that Elders have really low Humanity/Path scores?
There are very strong sexual themes in Bram Stokers Dracula and they both overt and more subtle

Seduction and sexual desire is part of Vampire ideology

https://phdessay.com/sexuality-in-bram-stokers-dracula/

hello friend

Arcane
This guy is a bit of a faggot but at least he admits himself that he might be reading too much into it. Dracula is a pure predator abandoned to his appetites, wholly selfish and exploitative. Dracula is more rapey than sexual, a creature of unrestrained id. Lucy starts losing her mind and clearly experiences this as frightening and abusive, she starts losing herself and becoming manipulative and flagrant. Dracula basically rapes her mind. The dynamic is more between humble piety and monstrous pride. The vampire is anti-human, a parasitic force feeding on humanity, and in a lot of ways a representation of the Deadly Sins, of which lust is only one. A reading of Dracula as a book about repressed sexuality is missing the point completely. In the end it's just a cool monster story but this is the framing.

Vatnik Wumao
On a more serious note,I never understood this fixation with vamps and how they fuck.
It's a consequence of the tropes inherent to modern portrayals of vampires that go all the way back to Gothic horror and to novels like Dracula. Even if the vampire main character isn't being overtly sexualized, he's being portrayed as a charmer who seduces his female victims and the act of embracing in itself carries erotic undertones (i.e. the neck biting being visually akin to sexual foreplay, although it precedes the consummation of a different kind of act; not to mention that the vampire's hunger itself parallels sexual urges). Overt sexualization just takes that a step further by adopting the outlook of the charmed victim (which is either played straight just as there are people who fetishize serial killers and the like or subverted by replacing the predator trope for a misunderstood prince charming one in which the vampire doesn't intend to kill the victim, but to turn them as for them to share eternity together).

Vatnik Wumao
There are very strong sexual themes in Bram Stokers Dracula and they both overt and more subtle

Seduction and sexual desire is part of Vampire ideology

https://phdessay.com/sexuality-in-bram-stokers-dracula/
For a more modern example of that, I think that Fright Night does a pretty good job of showcasing that sort of inherent sexualization. Particularly the dance scene between the vampire and the female victim (who also happens to be the girlfriend of the protagonist).

Director even acknowledged that he designed that particular scene in such a way as to imply that her seduction by the vampire is an initiation of the girl into womanhood.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Jeanette is also the embodiment of daddy issues, it's implied she's getting naughty with the local nosferatu just to piss the remain of her father's authority aka Therese.

VV is the only other vampire with which you can sexually interact, and that's mostly because as a young toreador, she's still trying to emulate the passion she had in life, strip-teasing dancing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom