Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Was Planescape: Torment really a commercial failure? Fallout sold fewer copies but got a sequel

pippin

I think you guys are kinds overrating the "cover art" effect. And if this is an "official" reason as to why the game didn't sold as much as they expected, then it's bullshit. PST was a marginal DND property, and crpgs have always been a marginal pc gaming genre. In my opinion, PST did as well as it could have done for a game of its characteristics. Diablo and Final Fantasy are guilty of setting unreasonable expectations for western crp games and companies, but at the same time those franchises had other stuff to attract people not familiar with crpgs. A magazine I had didn't focused on the cover or stuff lie that, they just said it was rather worrying how the game was shorter than BG and how you had pretty much one way to play the game if you wanted to feel the true PST experience.

Fairfax

Arcane
In the Beamdog stream, he mentioned the Pariah and Lost Souls pitches and said the team didn't pursue them because they were burned-out. There you have it, folks. +M

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

I knew he would say that.

I think that's a well worded, balanced answer, if a bit boring.

Interplay obviously saw Black Isle’s creative ability early on with Fallout, success post-GURPS was also a clear sign of this. Fallout was more of an asset than anything using D&D could ever be, long-term.

As for PST, despite selling well, perhaps choosing Forgotten Realms was easier to manage overall - maybe both teams had stronger familiarity with it? The amount of games they made with FR highlight this if nothing else...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Being a commercial success is very relative nowadays and needs to have a defined meaning before any serious discussion.

I love to take The Dwarves (2016) as an example, just because it's such a degenerate snoozefest/movie. Only 30.000 copies were sold but the price was jacked (40e), so in the end, it paid off for the company, possibly enough to do a sequel. Most released games produce a financial suficit sooner or later, one way or the other. Financial success is not quite the same as commercial success mind you. That said, I think it's a lot harder today for video games to flop than it is for movies.

What's more important is leaving a lasting mark with gameplay/IP and possibly achieving cult status. Very often traditional value is inversely related to big budgets.

Severian Silk

If Baldur's Gate had never been released, PST would not have been considered a failure. It was all psychological.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
If Baldur's Gate had never been released, PST would not have been considered a failure. It was all psychological.
This is a very weird hypothetical, since there is no way PS:T would've gotten made without BG, and if BIS had tried to make PS:T from scratch (i.e., without IE), PS:T would've been vastly more expensive and thus might not have been profitable at all. Of course it might also have sold many more copies because it would've been a groundbreaking engine....

Severian Silk

Still, they got greedy after BG became so successful. Pre BG Interplay would have been satisfied with less success. They suffered as a result of their own hubris.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Our new interview resolves this question. It turns out the premise was false - Fallout sold more copies than Planescape: Torment:

How well did Planescape: Torment sell? The Codex believes it sold in the area of 400,000 copies.

Brian: 400,000 sounds about right. I remember Fallout 1 sold 600,000 units, and Planescape sold less than that.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Could PS:T sell more and save MCA from future sexual assault allegations if they put Annah on cover?
i8ICdDG.jpg
Y1ESaxo.jpg

MerchantKing

Learned
Could PS:T sell more and save MCA from future sexual assault allegations if they put Annah on cover?
i8ICdDG.jpg
Y1ESaxo.jpg
I'd prefer the redeemed succubus over the Tiefling. Being a brothel hostess means she would be much better at paperwork, cooking, and managing a household which is great for profits! Plus she has wings so she can fly me to wherever I need to go! She's the perfect wife! The Tiefling girl is just trouble... Definitely more trouble than she's worth.

Infinitron already pointed out what's likely the most accurate element here -- licensing. It's a crutch in all ways. Financial, creative, managerial, etc. Fallout was their thing, and born out of wanting to do something with Wasteland.

PST's development cycle was atrocious so I'm pretty sure nobody wanted to go through that again.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Infinitron already pointed out what's likely the most accurate element here -- licensing. It's a crutch in all ways. Financial, creative, managerial, etc. Fallout was their thing, and born out of wanting to do something with Wasteland.

PST's development cycle was atrocious so I'm pretty sure nobody wanted to go through that again.
Scroll up, we got our definitive answer, the thread title is wrong https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...r-copies-but-got-a-sequel.114344/post-5062086

"Remember". Still relevant, though. Back in the day, there was a sense of worry about PST, especially considering it was half as long as BG1 and it was absolutely linear. People thought it wouldn't measure up to it considering those two key elements.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Heh, Got to love codex for always going beyond expectations:

Other Forums: old PS:T sales thread gets bumped because someone wants to talk about possible sequels in light of BG3 being sells success of FOREVER.

Codex: 6 Year old PS:T sales thread gets bumped to sheetpost about 3 year old news.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom