Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Warren Spector on "The Deus Ex Rules of Roleplaying"

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
It's sad that this one:

The overall mood and tone will be clear and consistent - Fear, Paranoia, Tension, Release (through combat and/or reaching a predetermined goal or NPC conversation)

is easily as rare these days as any of the mechanics-oriented rules.

but at the same time, if Deus Ex didn't have a music volume control, I couldn't play it. I'm not even sure people who played it with the music enabled were playing the same game as I was. the title screen music alone readies me for death. once you turn the music off, though, you encounter these magnificently rich ambient soundscapes almost everywhere. THAT is what I think a lot of modern games are missing. I regularly turn off music as intrusive, but the void it leaves behind often totes fails to engage me. even a little step like developing an immersive soundscape could go a long way to rectifying some of the tone problems AAA games have. of course next they'll have to stop having their tech support people write their dialogue but let's be real baby steps

also, is Spector just the most wonderful human or what? he always seems so positive in his interviews. maybe it's because he grew up being called Warren Spector and so knows he's the coolest dude?
How can you turn off the amazing music of Deus Ex?

DraQ

Arcane
It's sad that this one:

The overall mood and tone will be clear and consistent - Fear, Paranoia, Tension, Release (through combat and/or reaching a predetermined goal or NPC conversation)

is easily as rare these days as any of the mechanics-oriented rules.

but at the same time, if Deus Ex didn't have a music volume control, I couldn't play it. I'm not even sure people who played it with the music enabled were playing the same game as I was. the title screen music alone readies me for death. once you turn the music off, though, you encounter these magnificently rich ambient soundscapes almost everywhere. THAT is what I think a lot of modern games are missing. I regularly turn off music as intrusive, but the void it leaves behind often totes fails to engage me. even a little step like developing an immersive soundscape could go a long way to rectifying some of the tone problems AAA games have. of course next they'll have to stop having their tech support people write their dialogue but let's be real baby steps

also, is Spector just the most wonderful human or what? he always seems so positive in his interviews. maybe it's because he grew up being called Warren Spector and so knows he's the coolest dude?
How can you turn off the amazing music of Deus Ex?
Rarely am I in such full agreement with dnf or most other bearers of the "dumbfuck !!!" tag.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So if he does good game, it's because the team is good, and if he does a bad game, it's because Warren Spector sucks. Wow, that logic is flawless.

DraQ

Arcane
So if he does good game, it's because the team is good, and if he does a bad game, it's because Warren Spector sucks. Wow, that logic is flawless.
Well, DX:IW did feature a large number of completely moronic high level decisions.

Unlike things like general quality, AI, art design, level design or more elusive qualities like atmosphere it's not something you can blame on the team.
DX:IW is in large part either Spector's fault, Smith's fault or fault of them both.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
But then , didn't Deus Ex 1 have tons of GOOD high level decisions?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom