Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Warren Spector joins OtherSide Entertainment full-time to lead System Shock 3 development

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't get the excitement for FPSs on this site.

I love multiplayer FPSs and rpgs. These games(Underworld too) are neither.

System Shock 2 can be considered an RPG, even if it uses a first person perspective. Even the Codex included it in the greatest RPG lists.

Anything could be stretched to be considered different genres. RPGCodex is still just a group of opinions. That doesn't make it the one truth.

First person shooters are never rpgs to me, including the bethesda games. I just don't understand the fascination with first person shooters, even here. It is disappointing.

Don't get me wrong. I love a good team based FPS. I'm in the top 3% of the world when it comes to BF4, with an insane KD...

Fascinating, please go on...
thumb.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Forgive me for asking, but...is there a sizeable group of Codexers that only frequent the "News" section of the site and not the forum itself?

And these same people then make claims and statements here that sound...far-fetched, to say the least? Like, they missed the last big forum discussion about the title in question?

Because I just read this thread and saw two users commenting on this news item that I've never heard of before. One makes the statement "I don't know what non-multiplayer FPS are on about!" and another tries to show him the error of his ways. Props to the latter one for trying to dispel the derp, but the former one deserves praise for sticking to his guns of dissonance. What kind of pills do people take to be this batshit-fucking-loco anyway?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The problem is that Warren Spector has ridden the hype train before (Invisible Wars), and in 2016 he has basically no reputation to ride on. For some this could be the beginning of great new games like System Shock, Underworld or Deus Ex but this might as well be just the last thing we are going to hear from an aging loser.

Burning Bridges

Forgive me for asking, but...is there a sizeable group of Codexers that only frequent the "News" section of the site and not the forum itself?

Why not? Lots of people seam to frequent only GD and SJW related threads.

There are even people who check only 1 or 2 threads they started themselves.

Archibald

Arcane
The problem is that Warren Spector has ridden the hype train before (Invisible Wars), and in 2016 he has basically no reputation to ride on. For some this could be the beginning of great new games like System Shock, Underworld or Deus Ex but this might as well be just the last thing we are going to hear from an aging loser.

He also started getting annoying in last few years so I expect that lots of people will be ready to rip to shreds whatever he releases.

Burning Bridges

He probably thinks he has a free ride because 10 years passed since he pulled the last publicity stunt. But the name Warren Spector is still firmly connected with the DX Invisible fiasco.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Go look at one of the first Otherside UA interviews...He's a droopy eyed, half alseep, con artist reading from a company supplied cue card.

Zep--

But the name Warren Spector is still firmly connected with the DX Invisible fiasco.
Very few people in videogame target demographic actually remember or are even aware of it.

I doubt that the System Shock 3 target demographic matches up with that. If anything Deus Ex has gotten more popular over time and DX:IW more loathed (which it honestly doesn't deserve, the game is mediocre and consolized, but not horrible).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't seen that much Warren Spector hate in comments about SS3 on the Internet. I don't think it's so much because Invisible War is "forgotten" than it is that people aren't ready to damn him on account of one 13 year old game. Although I guess you could call that a forgetting of sorts.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I haven't seen that much Warren Spector hate in comments about SS3 on the Internet. I don't think it's so much because Invisible War is "forgotten" than it is that people aren't ready to damn him on account of one 13 year old game. Although I guess you could call that a forgetting of sorts.
Meanwhile people always bring up daikatana.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
But is that really "hate"? That's more of a meme and pretty much everyone still loves Romero and would like to be his bitches.

Romero was portrayed as a celebrity, everyone likes to see celebrities screw up once in a while. Warren Spector just made the mistake of chasing the console audience.

The Bishop

Cipher
Comparing IW with Daikatana is nonsense. Daikatana was a spectacular failure, a major disaster on every level, a cautionary tale, the Heaven's Gate of video game industry. And IW was just a mediocre game that didn't quite live up to its predecessor.

DraQ

Arcane
Comparing IW with Daikatana is nonsense. Daikatana was a spectacular failure, a major disaster on every level, a cautionary tale, the Heaven's Gate of video game industry. And IW was just a mediocre game that didn't quite live up to its predecessor.
Daikatana was a nuclear-scale - craters, mushroom clouds and all - disaster while trying to create something new, IW was maybe a less spectacular failure, but one that resulted from inability to follow a tested formula for greatness, evidently caused by inability to understand that formula.

It's ok to fail, even fail stupidly and in astoundingly spectacular manner, when doing something new (even though Romero really had it coming :M ) but no one who understood why DX1 was good could have made IW.

J1M

Arcane
But the name Warren Spector is still firmly connected with the DX Invisible fiasco.
Very few people in videogame target demographic actually remember or are even aware of it.

I doubt that the System Shock 3 target demographic matches up with that. If anything Deus Ex has gotten more popular over time and DX:IW more loathed (which it honestly doesn't deserve, the game is mediocre and consolized, but not horrible).
Good job, you have literally defined what a horrible PC game is.

J1M

Arcane
the latest vid Eidos Montrael posted with him and a couple of old Deus Ex devs left me with the impression that Warren knows very well why it is considered a classic, the structure the basic feel of Deus Ex.
Then why Invisible War has ever happened?
Invisible War and Thief 3 are Warren's fault. He was studio director and decided to chase the console market by making it the lead SKU. That and forcing the two games into using the same engine even though it meant drastically slashing the size of environments led to the major problems with both titles.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
After a few patches Daikatana is a fun game that suffers from some design decisions (mostly related to level design).
Go play The Fall. Compared to this abomination, IW is alright.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Defending Daikatana...

Did you forget that half the damn weapons kill you? That you have to noclip half the time past bugs?

You must gather your Superfly before venturing forth...

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Defending Daikatana...

Did you forget that half the damn weapons kill you? That you have to noclip half the time past bugs?

You must gather your Superfly before venturing forth...
It's been years since I made a full replay of Daikatana, but I don't remember any game-breaking bugs, only a few AI issues (mostly pathfinding, but they weren't critical) which will be probably resolved in a fan patch (1.3). And honestly, dying from your own rocket or other explosive/AoE weaponry is considered as a bad thing, mein Freund?

J1M

Arcane
Go play The Fall. Compared to this abomination, IW is alright.
How are these things related? Last I checked, The Fall isn't a sequel to the greatest PC game ever made (tm). It is a smaller project which actually does what it set out to do. (Explore a concept related to artificial intelligence.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom