Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WARNO from Eugen Systems

Alpharius

Scholar

Woot codex, why no thread yet? I came a little while watching the trailer.

So apparently its going to be a Wargame sort of sequel but with lots of improvements from Steel Division, like giving initial orders to units during deployement phase. Inital countries are gonna be US, UK, France, West Germany, DDR, USSR.

Comes tomorrow. The timing is perhaps unfortunate, but on the other hand one can make the Russian invader pay with blood online after watching them level a city block in Ukraine on TV. :D
:d1p:

Last edited by a moderator:

Alpharius

Scholar
Something like 1800 players were online this evening, there is even a warchat like in wargame and ranked automatch is already working. :incline:
Only two divisions so far though, US and Ussr armored.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
WarYes.

Seriously though, the game is an unbalanced mess at the moment, but it sure as hell looks promising. They will probably milk it to oblivion with DLC just like SD2, given vanilla is set to contain only 6 nations to a point where Warsaw Pact doesn't even include Poland and Czechoslovakia...

Thorgeim

Educated
Was ready to get this in EA but then I read the comments and saw gameplay videos. Yeah ... no ... at the moment there is so many weird design choices and lack of content (even for EA) that I will happily wait and observe :)

flyingjohn

Arcane
They struggling for cash or something? Why release something so bare.
The dlc model for steel division 2 was a complete financial failure.Their entire company is structured to function on dlc sales.
So yeah,they are going back to basics.

flyingjohn

Arcane
They struggling for cash or something? Why release something so bare.
The dlc model for steel division 2 was a complete financial failure.Their entire company is structured to function on dlc sales.
So yeah,they are going back to basics.
Really ? And you know that because ... ?
Because this game exists and is obviously rushed out.
A lil bit more info:
Not one piece of dlc managed to ramp up steel division ii's play count meaningfully.That was not the case with wargame. The original steel division didn't have much dlc anyway.
Wargame dlc's provided a small burst to the original launch playercount.
It doesn't help that steel division 2's dlc are numerous and lacking. Tribute to the d-day doesn't even include Omaha beach.

As for their model,it is pretty much the norm for anything aa in terms of strategy devs. The dlc is what keeps you afloat.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
The latest Wargame DLC (the first in a long, long time) seemed to be very well received, though it helps they picked something cool (South Africa). Can’t say the same of Steel Division 2, which has never had the same kind of success.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
1.5 years since the last post and Warno is looking pretty great.
Smoke launchers on tanks are pretty great for not getting rekt by infantry entrenched in buildings.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
A friend and I have recently started to actually play this more than a year after he bought it for the two of us. It's a lot of fun, taking the good from Wargame: European Escalation and Steel Division 2. If you want a Cold War RTS, this is the one to get. The improved AI means that you can get a full experience in singleplayer or COOP, as opposed to previous Wargame titles where they would simply zerg-rush down the roads.

Also, the soundtrack is great, really setting the mood perfectly. 'Team Yankee', the game.

Last edited:

Levenmouth

Cipher
I think the mechanics of the game are also generally better than in WG. ATGMs are very viable now, planes behave better, stationary gun emplacements are a thing, there are dedicated counterbattery functions, etc. Also being able to see the line-of-sight of a unit is huge for being able to park trucks behind a building where you placed your guys with ATGMs.

I just hope we get a few maps that aren't German valleys. Some coastal maps would be cool or maps with more chokepoints. Also, navy. I bet ship AA gun goes BRRRRRR will look amazing in this.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I enjoy primarily using infantry-heavy divisions and agree that the mechanics supporting a wider variety of play style than T-80U vs M1A1 are much better. Having infantry crew-served weapons teams like grenade launchers, recoiless rifles, towed weapon systems, all good improvements. Being able to give your artillery standing counter-battery or defensive fire orders is really nice.

I was thinking that a ‘73 Yom Kippur War expansion would be perfect.

Levenmouth

Cipher
I was thinking that a ‘73 Yom Kippur War expansion would be perfect.
I would personally like to see more Korean vs. DPRK action with involvement of U.S., Soviets and China. That was very kino in WG:RD.
But I don't see either coming very soon, because they would need to create a whole new environment and different cities. The level of environmental detail is much greater in Warno than it was in WG and it's probably going to be a lot of work to create a whole new set of flora and architecture.
As you say, hopefully in an expansion. Campaign soon hopefully.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
They need to add drones and show how all these tanks sucks. Then add MLRS deployed minefield, and we would see the battle of WWI yet again.

Levenmouth

Cipher
New mission dropped. Also, a bunch of balance changes. Seems to have somewhat broken bombers, which now occasionally spawn as routed, fly around and never drop bombs.

ff6343af8d9a27a04a9b491cbfd09c61c489fbb6.gif

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It doesn't help that steel division 2's dlc are numerous and lacking.
I don't really care about multiplayer and am only interested in campaigns. Most of the Steel Division 2 DLCs just add new units and maps for multiplayer, pretty much zero value for me. The only DLCs I'm interested in are those that add new campaigns.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been playing this for a while, a few skirmish battles and now I just did the first of the "Operations" they recently added. I don't get the appeal though.

This game is just head-on battles, capture the flag stuff. No real maneuvering, no entrenchments, no minefields. The developer excuse themselves with "historical reasons" for this, as in this is the first hours and days of a conventional WW3, no one has time to dig trenches and lay mines. Fair enough, but the gameplay just turns into a "pick the right counter unit". Additionally, terrain is very simplistically represented. Just having LoS and "attack-move" order can't pass as killer features, please.

Also I can't say I'm crazy about the graphics, which are supposed to be a big thing. For the majority of the time you are just looking at the 2d sprites/icons of your units.

I have 16 hours in WARNO and 25 hours in Steel Division 2. Only singleplayer, which I guess someone is going to point at as being "my problem". Well, I don't imagine multiplayer being much more fun given these mechanics. Does the game somehow become much better in multiplayer?

I've been playing this for a while, a few skirmish battles and now I just did the first of the "Operations" they recently added. I don't get the appeal though.

This game is just head-on battles, capture the flag stuff. No real maneuvering, no entrenchments, no minefields. The developer excuse themselves with "historical reasons" for this, as in this is the first hours and days of a conventional WW3, no one has time to dig trenches and lay mines. Fair enough, but the gameplay just turns into a "pick the right counter unit". Additionally, terrain is very simplistically represented. Just having LoS and "attack-move" order can't pass as killer features, please.

Also I can't say I'm crazy about the graphics, which are supposed to be a big thing. For the majority of the time you are just looking at the 2d sprites/icons of your units.

I have 16 hours in WARNO and 25 hours in Steel Division 2. Only singleplayer, which I guess someone is going to point at as being "my problem". Well, I don't imagine multiplayer being much more fun given these mechanics. Does the game somehow become much better in multiplayer?
I might shed some light on this. IMO it is very fun in multiplayer. With a disclaimer that I am a big Wargame/WARNO fanboy, got 936h on WG:RD, 286h on WG:ALB and 124h on WW:EE. Almost exclusively multiplayer, almost number one reason why I'm playing catch up with Pathfinder: Kingmaker and other RPGs at the moment.

For the multiplayer Conquest mode in general I would say that the enjoyment comes from a couple of points.
The complex unity dynamics of the cold war which is mainly driven by the use of missiles, rocket artillery, helicopters and jet planes which creates new standoff threats and increases the "skill cap" of making successful attacks with the multitude of units available and threats.
Divisions, which are meant to have more balanced pros and cons than the nation approach of WG. The lethality of weapons, which sort of actually removes counter play on one hand because anything from a militia with an recoiless-rifle, infantry ATGM, Apache Longbow to Plane based ATGM can threaten your heavy tank given good setup, and this goes for all units.
This combined with the deck system makes a lot of the fun, for me at least, to figure out your vision of an effective fighting force and proving it in action. Kinda like Magic: The Gathering deck building. Especially if you have a military historic interest of the period.

With that said I am personally not a big fan of the Conquest gamemode, which I assure you is heresy to say on the reddit or discord. Having magical flags in open field for a WW3 game always felt wrong for me. Wish they developed something better, destruction is considerd a noob mode because people just arty snipe to get to the win limit.

What makes WARNO in particular exciting is two things. Adding new mechanics & QoL and actively removing cheese.

They have added:
Rules Of Engagement which finally transforms your units from dumb 90-era rts units to actual soldiers that react programmable to enemy fire, like the scripting system in Deadfire. Smart Orders like counter battery fire. These two alone addresses your concern of only "attack-move".
Locked in the year 1989 so no 50-era units and stuff like that anymore. Giving orders during deployment. Sell transports after use. Recon and "airmobile" units can deploy further ahead at the start of the game. Infantry carried weapons team. Trait system, like "IFV Infantry" which gets a bonus close to an IFV for infantry and "Security" which upgrades an infantry squads optics after having been stationary for a while, "Leader" increases veterancy of nearby units. Smoke launchers for vehicle that had them IRL. They are allegedly actively working on a real jammer system for SEAD aircrafts instead of just SEAD missiles, actual agile choppers unlike the mobile slow gun turrets of Wargame. High rises in cities and also airstrip maps.

For cheese it's more advanced fine balancing things like: trying in general to actively balance Air&AA (including balance radar and IR AA) interaction to disallow chees strats ( like only helo openers to be effective ) and retain lethality. Removed capture spawn zone so you can't lose the ability to call in troops anymore just because they random bombed a forest in your base. Decreasing tank turret rotation speed to allow infantry to be effective vs them in forest. Increased speed of ATGM and lethality to make them a threat. Fine tune artillery lethality, reload and aim speed, which is very hard because you swing between click and wipe out everything on the map and firing fire crackers and neither is fun gameplay. Reworked suppression.

So in short, WARNO shows great promise specially since they are still actively adding new mechanics to the game. But if you are mainly a SP player I don't know really. The new Operation Mode might be fun? Think I only played Wargame: Air Land Battle in SP which I did enjoy very much, a large part because I'm Swedish so I could play Sweden in Sweden.

Last edited:

Ba'al

Scholar
I recently discovered this game and was surprised that games like this exist. It pleases my autism greatly that I can customize my own divisions and try to determine whether my motorized infantry should come in a BMP-1 or a more expensive BMP-3 which has a bit more armor and better weapons, but then again if it encounters a tank the armor doesn't matter, however if I park it away from danger it can use its ATGMs at a distance... Basically it allows me to theorize some tactic, use it in a game and then go back to the drawing board with new conclusions. Kinda like how the US military is getting a new infantry rifle that has a higher caliber round and advanced optics which theoretically makes infantry more effective (but at a higher cost and potential greater training requirement as a sniper rifle does not a marksman make), or how some countries buy cheaper multirole jet fighters because they can't afford separate air superiority fighters and strike/bomb aircraft so they just buy something that is "good enough" for both roles. This game allows me to test these kinds of decisions and it's great.

I should add that I play skirmish vs AI and don't really plan to play multiplayer as I like the ability to pause the game and analyze the situation. I've played about 6 games (and spent way too much time in the armory) and have managed to beat a hard AI 1vs1 so I'm a bit concerned that I've already figured the AI out, however even against poor AI I have fun planning and executing plans. There seems to be talk about something called the army general game mode which would add some context to the skirmishes in some sort of campaign. Apparently this was present in one of their previous games, can anyone comment if this game mode is something to be excited about as a single player only player?

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I should add that I play skirmish vs AI and don't really plan to play multiplayer as I like the ability to pause the game and analyze the situation. I've played about 6 games (and spent way too much time in the armory) and have managed to beat a hard AI 1vs1 so I'm a bit concerned that I've already figured the AI out, however even against poor AI I have fun planning and executing plans.

The AI is probably the most competent in Eugen history. I find it’s more fun to play 3v3 or 4v4 with AI filling the other slots, though, it creates a more dynamic battlefield and helps stop the AI from being overly predictable. A tip, when you have AI teammates, they mark their primary areas of responsibility with an ‘attack’ marker in the first ten seconds or so of loading into the battle. If you mark your preferred sector with an ‘attack’ marker before they’ve dropped theirs, they’ll respect it and deploy accordingly.

There seems to be talk about something called the army general game mode which would add some context to the skirmishes in some sort of campaign. Apparently this was present in one of their previous games, can anyone comment if this game mode is something to be excited about as a single player only player?

It was in Steel Division 2, which is a kind of WW2 Wargame/WARNO. It’s certainly effective as a dynamic campaign, but the issue I had with it is that you have a truly gargantuan number of units (I mean companies, battalions, regiments) that you are responsible for moving around and committing to this or that battle. Hopefully they would reduce the scale somewhat for the WARNO edition.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1611600/announcements/detail/4049368036715491512

Pretty big update! Adding Army General ( the campaign mode) tutorials and a special scenario, Tank Rework ( making medium tanks useful and not scrap metal ), sfx improvements and (a personally favourite of mine) Electronic Warfare traits that can jam radars. The only other games that take EW even remotely serious is like Homeworld 1&2, Supreme Commander 1 and NEBULOUS: Fleet Command. Really with the times as well sense the Russians as we speak are conducting their first assault around Avdiivka with electronic drone jammers mounted directly on the tanks armour. The patch will apparently release on Tuesday the 13th of February.

They are going to release coop and versus multiplayer mode for the campaign as well eventually.

Last edited:

Removal

Scholar
First Army General got released. Pretty basic "tutorial" AG. Take two towns from under strength American force and then defend against Worst German counter attack. Gives you a bit of everything from managing AD zones to reinforcements.
Not much to say, but the pace of Warno is much better suited to AG than SD2 was. Maps are a bit more condensed so it's not as overwhelming

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom