Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf - card-driven turn-based tactical game

there must be a reason if they're taking it away forever. to me it wasn't good even as a ceramic throne entertainment.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I picked this up on super sale on the PS5 a while ago but only got around to playing it now (I was looking for some more 40K goodness after finishing Rogue Trader).

It kinda had potential, but, man, is it ultimately a waste of time.

The pay to win stuff seems to be gone now (at least in the PS5 version I have). So, getting new cards doesn't seem to be that difficult. The card system itself is pretty good, with a lot of variety in the weapons and interesting synergies can be had with the "chain" feature. For example, you might have a card in your hand that normally allows your unit to move five spaces. However, if you fire a flamer while that card is in your hand, it chains with the flamer attack and adds burn damage over time.

You also have a decent variety of squad mates to play around with, including snipers, assault units, terminators, etc.

Unfortunately, the actual missions undermine all of the goodwill generated by the other systems. They just love throwing hordes of enemies against you (I think the last mission I played had 32 enemies for my 3 man squad to defeat), and the enemies are not that weak, so it's not like you're one-shotting them all. Also, they love having reinforcements magically appear, sometimes right on top of you, making it extremely likely you will fail the mission multiple times until you learn all of the ways the mission tries to screw you. What also makes it likely you will fail missions is that, if your main character dies, you lose. And the enemy AI loves to focus fire one unit until they're dead. This combines with the aforementioned magically spawning reinforcements to form an incredibly frustrating experience. For example, on the mission that made me give up the game, my main character was starting to get low on HP, so I moved behind my other characters so he could heal up. But then a couple of Chaos Marines spawned behind the squad and instantly took him out, ending the game.

So, if you feel bad because you wanted this game but can no longer buy it, trust me, you are not missing anything.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
As far as I know, the biggest problem this game has is that you can "rest" after each battle by healing up to full, but the process is tedious and it trivializes a lot of the challenge caused by resource attrition.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
there must be a reason if they're taking it away forever. to me it wasn't good even as a ceramic throne entertainment.

It was mediocre indeed. The PC version was not as bad as the mobile one, though. The reason for the take away is probably that Games workshop demands a payement once the license has expired to renew it (ie, they take fixed sum for x years + a percentage of sales in royalties), and it was probably more than what little they were making out of it at this point.

That is also why most of the Space Hulk games, and many other 40k games (Storm of Vengeance, Regicide, Deathwatch...) have been delisted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom