Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The game is fine and very enjoyable. Doesn't really have bugs anymore, and the balance is fine.

Jinn

Arcane
and the balance is fine.
Elaborate, because you're one of the few people on the internet who thinks so. I know a rabid 40k fan who will play any RPG irl (ie tasteless) who won't touch the game after a few hours of play because it's so boring due to balance issues.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
and the balance is fine.
Elaborate, because you're one of the few people on the internet who thinks so. I know a rabid 40k fan who will play any RPG irl (ie tasteless) who won't touch the game after a few hours of play because it's so boring due to balance issues.
I played this game twice now. If you don't like some balance settings.. then adjust them? You could do that in any owlcat game.

Combat and balance isn't the most important thing in a big story oriented cRPG imo. It's perfectly fine. I even thought the game was quite hard at times on the hardest diff, so I turned it down abit, and it was fine.

I enjoy games for the story, atmosphere, choices, exploration. this game has that in spades, even if some of the balance is abit fucked.

Also, ppl cannot seem to try not to play ultra overpowered meta builds, and then cry about balance.

Balance was the furthest from my mind during 2 playthroughs, and I enjoyed myself immensly.

Balance was fucked in alot of instant classic cRPGS, and yet ppl still enjoy them immensly. It's fine. Play the game and have fun.

im waiting for 3rd playthrough to more dlcs and expansions come summer.

everybody cries about balance, then google BEST OP BROKEN META BUILDS, and then plays that and think they have an opinion.

Easy doesnt mean a bad game, neither does super hard. u can adjust settings and not meta-game the system as much.

Fallout 1 is pissssssssssss fucking easy, but still one of the best cRPGs ever released. Because story, writing, C&C, worldbuilding, exploration. all top notch, and thats what matters, the combat is lulsy and an afterthought.

I get why combatfags will rage at this game, but I don't really care. dont play it then. its gonna get fixed eventually. its a great game imo. and I didnt even know anything about 40k prior to playing this at all

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
If you don't like some balance settings.. then adjust them?
Yeah, but adjusting them to the highest setting apparently still means a laughably easy experience.

Balance was fucked in alot of instant classic cRPGS, and yet ppl still enjoy them immensly. It's fine. Play the game and have fun.
These classics have a ton of other qualities that make up for this, not to mention they posed a great challenge on their first playthrough. Anyone who denies this is lying or looking up hints.

Everybody cries about balance, then google BEST OP BROKEN META BUILDS, and then plays that and think they have an opinion.
The problem here is that they're not meta builds. The game hands you these companions practically pre-built. It's not metagaming having a companion who is just ridiculously OP.
I get why combatfags will rage at this game, but I don't really care. dont play it then. its gonna get fixed eventually. its a great game imo. and I didnt even know anything about 40k prior to playing this at all
We get it, you're a storyfag. That's fine, but some solid challenge in a CRPG is desirable for the majority of us here.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on it. I appreciate where you're coming from, but it doesn't change the fact they released the game in an unacceptable state, and have yet to fix its major problems months down the line. This might be fine for you, but it's not something any of us should be supporting as fans of the genre.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
If you don't like some balance settings.. then adjust them?
Yeah, but adjusting them to the highest setting apparently still means a laughably easy experience.

These classics have a ton of other qualities that make up for this, not to mention they posed a great challenge on their first playthrough. Anyone who denies this is lying or looking up hints.

Everybody cries about balance, then google BEST OP BROKEN META BUILDS, and then plays that and think they have an opinion.
The problem here is that they're not meta builds. The game hands you these companions practically pre-built. It's not metagaming having a companion who is just ridiculously OP.
We get it, you're a storyfag. That's fine, but some solid challenge in a CRPG is desirable for the majority of us here.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on it. I appreciate where you're coming from, but it doesn't change the fact they released the game in an unacceptable state, and have yet to fix its major problems months down the line. This might be fine for you, but it's not something any of us should be supporting as fans of the genre.
Unacceptable to who? A small minority I would reckon in grand scheme of things. I'm not saying the game is perfect and release was definitely rough around the edges for sure, but people are exagerrating as usual.

Yes, the pre-"buildt" companions are pretty strong, but it's only after YOU built them strong, picking the exact most broken talents and shit and putting on the exact most broken items, that most PROBABLY read about on guides or online to wear to MAX OP broken dmg.

I just played the game, and didn't know what half the talents did, and just tried shit, the game was quite fucking hard on highest setting so.. that's because I didn't play the cookie cutter ultra talent build that destroys everything.
You can play an ARPG and have fun, and not play the tOP TIER S Broken builds that just destroys everything with easy.. some ppl like that, some dont. your choice.

Rogue Trader has alot going for it, other than the combat, which was kind of my point, you can disagree about that, and thats fine.

I'm not saying I don't like challenges, and just don't think the outcry is warranted to such a degree that some ppl has voiced. Then again, I'm, not looking to restart 1 fight 100 times over, because its sooo difficult, i dont find that fun nor have the time for that.
I don't like playing on "story mode" either so, a happy medium, which is achieveable with some tweaks and self-imposed limitations.

I will support any game that can entertain, wow, or otherwise just but some dopamine in my brain for whatever 50+ hours it needs, and rogue trader has certainly reached that point for me personally. Could it be better? sure? Alot better? I guess. it is what it is.
And I will buy any owlcat game, because despite the shitty launches and stuff, the games have been alot of fun overall. It's a game, not a mathmatical excel spreadsheet to be overcome.. but then again, i'm not a dark souls type player either, and those ppl are really combat fags to a new level of degen.
Have't even played Elden Ring, and im not going to. it's just not for me.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
The issue is more with AP pool inflation than any enemy stat adjustments/spreadsheet autism, past a certain level bad Assassin/Bounty Hunter/Arch-Militant builds do not exist since you can just self-buff yourself into the stratosphere.
Concerning storyfaggotry I think this game is a dud beyond the novelty of the setting. C&C and reactivity is unambiguously worse than Wrathfinder with exception to ending slide variety, companion personalities are fun (Except Jae/Cassia, Idira clearly suffers from rewrites as well) yet character development is largely nonexistent outside romances and Pasqual is the only one who gets a interesting questline, and the Nomos plotline is a really poor imitation of the Alvin stuff from Witcher 1.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
A lot going for it other than the combat? Oh boy
Indeed.

There is no going around how heavily combat-oriented Rogue Trader is. You will have conversations with companions, skill checks (mostly superficial) and the presentation of the Warhammer 40k universe and lore (probably the best of all WH40K games to date, with a huge caveat that as the titular Rogue Trader you - as a player - can get away with A LOT), but at its core the game is pretty much all about combat.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Indeed.

There is no going around how heavily combat-oriented Rogue Trader is. You will have conversations with companions, skill checks (mostly superficial) and the presentation of the Warhammer 40k universe and lore (probably the best of all WH40K games to date, with a huge caveat that as the titular Rogue Trader you - as a player - can get away with A LOT), but at its core the game is pretty much all about combat.

That's bananas. Who could've expected that from a setting with the tagline, "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war."

Better get Sweet Baby on the job to sort this out.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Indeed.

That's bananas. Who could've expected that from a setting with the tagline, "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war."

Better get Sweet Baby on the job to sort this out.
It would be nice if the combat wasn't one of the worst part of the game because of the shitty system.

ArchAngel

Arcane
When you need to self limit yourself to get some fun and balance out of combat you know it is a shit system.

Stoned Ape

Savant
I think that the whole extra-turn premise is flawed, and unfortunately multiple classes are built around giving or getting extra turns. It's not the player being clever and breaking the system, it's that the system itself is intrinsically broken at a fundamental level.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think that the whole extra-turn premise is flawed, and unfortunately multiple classes are built around giving or getting extra turns. It's not the player being clever and breaking the system, it's that the system itself is intrinsically broken at a fundamental level.
I decided that the momentum and Heroic actions is the real culprit. It needs to be radically limited or powers need to be balanced much much better. Some are super shit or almost useless and some are god like and break all the balance.

Stoned Ape

Savant
I decided that the momentum and Heroic actions is the real culprit. It needs to be radically limited or powers need to be balanced much much better. Some are super shit or almost useless and some are god like and break all the balance.
To be fair I'm probably biased because I hate extra-turns as a mechanic in general, it's a very 'gamey' solution to a player party being outnumbered and I find it inelegant.

I also prefer pure action point based systems to having turns divided up into movement points and limited actions as they are here. I understand that's partially down to the player being outnumbered and by giving the AI the opportunity to take multiple shots per unit would most likely overwhelm an outnumbered player.

I just miss old X-COM/JA2 style combat, I suppose.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
To be fair I'm probably biased because I hate extra-turns as a mechanic in general, it's a very 'gamey' solution to a player party being outnumbered and I find it inelegant.

I also prefer pure action point based systems to having turns divided up into movement points and limited actions as they are here. I understand that's partially down to the player being outnumbered and by giving the AI the opportunity to take multiple shots per unit would most likely overwhelm an outnumbered player.

I just miss old X-COM/JA2 style combat, I suppose.
I think it can be done in a neat way.
I really liked the individual turns and speed dynamics (that could even lead to multiple actions between a single enemy turn - in extreme cases) in HoMMV. Too bad it was the only game I'm aware of, that had a neat system like that (and Turn based Deadfire easily could have had something similar :-( )

But here the devs clearly went overboard - and I don't think such systems work as well without individual turns.

Vyvian

Educated
I have to go investigate some Mechanicus Church or something now.
I feel like my party members are utterly broken and I'm only in Chapter 1. The fish just destroys anything as does Argenta.

ArchAngel

Arcane

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
As a bit of a spoiler - a large rebalance patch is in progress right now. It's not awaited very soon, but still.
And there I was hoping to start playing this weekned. Welp, I can wait for another couple of months.
Funny, I was thinking the opposite: I better fire it up so I can see what everyone's bitching about. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom