Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

scytheavatar

Scholar
2 expansions planned BEFORE the game is out. That's almost Paradox levels of greed.
Breaking out this oldie. Just ignore the "day 1" stuff since it doesn't apply here.
4ks5qt.png

Question, what wrong with moving on to other projects? Isn't that what we should want as consumers, devs working on new games rather than milking existing ones?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Question, what wrong with moving on to other projects? Isn't that what we should want as consumers, devs working on new games rather than milking existing ones?
Depends on your interest level in the current thing.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The modern game dev process is not conducive to making good games.

It's great at pushing out mediocre slop and providing welfare for incompetent surplus staff that are 100% unnecessary.

frajaq

Erudite
fuck I hate these last days until the game releases, I have 0 desire to play anything in my huge Steam library because I'm just waiting for this lol

gonna read manga instead

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You want the designers of the game itself (concept, rules and gameplay design, overall narrative), who are heavily involved in pre-prod but have less work at the end of development, to be involved in the design of the follow up content, because of the competence they now have with the game.

The alternative is no support at all for the game, and moving to a new project right away. That obviously also means little patching after, since it's no longer in development. Easier to justify paying devs to patch the game if they're also producing sellable content.

I think we've benefitted from devs caring about their games, fixing them up and improving them. Larian and CDPR have greatly improved their games post-release, and the DLCs were them at the top of their game. Think what it would've been if it was like that for older games we loved, such as VtM:Bloodlines, Arcanum, KotOR2. All the restoration projects and long running fixpacks are the result of dev support being cut off early. Imagine if devs had the time to do it themselves properly, expand on it, fix what didn't work after feedback.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Expansion is RotS for Shogun 2, expansion is FotS for Shogun 2. Both of these are quite beefy expansions bascially the same engine, a whole new game.

15 hour long addons are not expansion, these are side stories.

Salvo

Arcane
Expansion is RotS for Shogun 2, expansion is FotS for Shogun 2. Both of these are quite beefy expansions bascially the same engine, a whole new game.

Night of the Raven is an expansion, and also a side story.

GloomFrost

Arcane

Yeah but come on. Lets be realistic here NOTR is an amazing "DLC" for like the best open world RPG in existence. We simply will never see the same amount of quality, creativity and "soul" ever again. Comparing it is not fair on other games :-D :-D

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Yeah but come on. Lets be realistic here NOTR is an amazing "DLC" for like the best open world RPG in existence. We simply will never see the same amount of quality, creativity and "soul" ever again. Comparing it is not fair on other games :-D :-D
Nothing prevents owlcats to make something of similar quality. They just need artistic talent and programming skill.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

In this case, it's more like a Add on because they're intregated into the main game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Basically these are two small 15 hour DLCs. Why bother to make them separate when they can release these in a path? Money spoils the kid, and DLCs are easy cash grab.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Rogue Trader Build Planner

This looks great seems to have pretty much all the info for all classes other than probably missing some psyker stuff that was not available yet
(scroll to right for talents and shit in archetype section)

CaesarCzech

Scholar
2 expansions planned BEFORE the game is out. That's almost Paradox levels of greed.
I don't wanna be that guy but.. All Expansions and DLCs in 90% of games are generaly planned before the game is out. Especialy if you want them to be included in the main game seamless

Breaking out this oldie. Just ignore the "day 1" stuff since it doesn't apply here.
ArOnR2aYowVw.png

needs updating to 70$

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So wheres the hype-o-meter on the CODEX for this game? we on 8/10 or some shit?
Have't really been keeping up with this gamne, but im interested for sure.

I liked pathfinder and WOTR a fair bit, but love sci-fi setting alot more, which warhammer brings in tandem with the fantasy stuff.
Is this perhaps more developed and better than pathfinder? C&C? writing? combat?

Obviously its turn-based, which is great.

Rieser

Scholar

I liked pathfinder and WOTR a fair bit, but love sci-fi setting alot more, which warhammer brings in tandem with the fantasy stuff.
Is this perhaps more developed and better than pathfinder? C&C? writing? combat?

The writing is definitely better with less bad cheese and more good cheese, the setting alone helping quite a bit with that. It's buggy just like Pathfinder, and I've no doubt the later stages of the game will be the buggiest. The combat is fun albeit easier than Pathfinder - I wasn't well versed in either games' mechanics beforehand and found Core on Pathfinder a (fun) struggle. Here, Core (or Daring as it's called in the release version) is instead too easy for me, with only a few boss fights posing any challenge. The mini-game this time around (space ship combat) is better and not an obnoxious slog like the Heroes-shit in WotR. In general, my biggest complaint so far are all the bugs and jank. Too be expected though, of course. I'm reviewing the game but I haven't gotten past the beta stuff yet.

Shaki

Arbiter

10/10, GOTY, best game of the century

ArchAngel

Arcane

Needs bear sex to be 11/10

Shaki

Arbiter

Needs bear sex to be 11/10
You can probably fuck eldars tho, which is far more degenerate and disgusting than fucking bears

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
So you can’t romance the sister for the sole and noble purpose of breeding more loyal servants of the Imperium but you can hook up with either of the xenos, wtf.

Thank the emperor then they didn’t add kroot and tau like i’ve seen some degenerates request.

frajaq

Erudite
There WAS a small splatbook on the original FFG Rogue Trader RPG about Tau-adventures, and stats for playable Tau so it wouldn't be completely surprising

Trithne

Erudite
So you can’t romance the sister for the sole and noble purpose of breeding more loyal servants of the Imperium but you can hook up with either of the xenos, wtf.

Thank the emperor then they didn’t add kroot and tau like i’ve seen some degenerates request.
An Adepta Sororitas that is with child cannot reliably perform her duties to the Ecclesiarchy and the Emperor. There are trillions of women in the galaxy of child bearing age and in suitable environs conducive to child rearing. Argenta is not one of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom