Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The more that comes out about this game, the more hyped I am (and I was already an alpha backer).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes. Dictionary = reality. No problems there. None.

@The_Mask (n.)

1. an internet nickname used by a complete tosser
2. a fool who doesn't understand the difference between connotation and denotation
3. the shit that sticks to you when you have a stomach virus

Hey look, it has everything!
Back in my day ad hominems would automatically discredit you for the rest of the debate, but I'm sure that this being the Internet, everyone will think you've won.
Back in my day, people would've understood why their first comment was stupid and not needed the reminder. Not that that helped either. Good work.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Stop the autism. Words acquire different meaning when used in different context. You know full well what romance means in regards to RPGs.
propaganda = information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular [political cause or] point of view.
If a point of view is propagated that conflicts with the dictionary/reality, then I guess the real issue is IQ, and how much are you willing to be dominated.
Damn son. Ok, I'll indulge you on such a trivial matter. Coupons les cheveux en quatre!

First, I agree with you that precise definitions matter. I just got back home from teaching a course on this very subject. But debates on definition are not always pertinent. In the context of our discussion, I was just making an offhand remark about an uppity attitude about anything related to sex and seduction. Even if I used a word wrongly, you could've caught the meaning in virtue of the context.

That said, I understand it's natural to be a bit defensive when your interlocutor, me in this case, is just doing a reductio ad absurdum of your point of view, seemingly mocking you. (Not my intent, btw.)

Ok, let's get to the heart of the matter.

dictionary/reality
They're not the same. A dictionary definition of a word is not a description of reality, it describes how the word has been used by speakers of the language. It is a lexical definition. And words have many uses, which is why there are often many meanings and many variations. Essential definitions, definition of a thing by what makes it so, are real definitions, and they are sometimes in dictionaries, but often not.

I'll give you an example from those you give yourself:
romance = a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love.
Now, you know the word 'romance' is not only used to mean a type of 'feeling'. In fact, we were talking about games, and 'romance' in this context is not a 'feeling' but a type of activity you can have in the game. Yes, it might evoke feelings, the two uses are related. Same as 'romance' in 'romance novel', it refers to a type of activity characters in the novel engage in, and, admittedly, the goal is also to arouse the reader.

So, one word, multiple uses and meanings. You can't just take the first definition that appears and think it gives you the full idea to understand what an interlocutor is meaning.

Now, about 'prude'. You go with this definition:
prude = a person who is or claims to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity.
There are others, very close in meaning, such as:
And that fits with what I meant.

Now, about 'puritan'. You go with this definition:
puritan = having or displaying censorious moral beliefs, especially about pleasure and sex.

You know, from the definition you gave, that the meanings of both words are close. Both refer to negative ideas about sex. That should've been enough. But let's go all the way.

There are many meanings of 'puritan'. The original one is this, yet is not very relevant:
A member of a group of English Protestants who in the 1500s and 1600s advocated strict religious discipline along with simplification of the ceremonies and creeds of the Church of England.

The one I meant is this one:
See how the meanings between 'prude' and 'puritan' are close? In fact, they are often used as synonyms in certain contexts.

bIpYHGD.jpg

I hope I have fully satisfied your autistic inquiry. No offense meant.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
I believe this is the first confimation that gee dubs vetoed Argenta romance:
V6DQ22w.png

incline.png
! One step closer towards TCD (Total Coomer Death).
Owlcat should just say they added the romance. I would love to see a second wave of tantrums after they realize it's still not a thing lol

mediocrepoet

Patron
I believe this is the first confimation that gee dubs vetoed Argenta romance:
V6DQ22w.png

incline.png
! One step closer towards TCD (Total Coomer Death).
Owlcat should just say they added the romance. I would love to see a second wave of tantrums after they realize it's still not a thing lol
I love it when devs troll the playerbase. Just not even confirming, being like: there are many situations in the game and in developing your relationships with each of your companions that may be difficult to find. But we think we've done a fine job of supporting all player preferences. Believe me, we've heard what you want! ;)

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Considering gays are like 5% of the population they are lucky they got 1 out of 4 options.. it should have been zero.
I am glad Owlcat stuck to their guns and lore and story and didn't turn everyone into bisexual vampire bear fuckers.

But more interesting tidbit from that interview is that we are getting a Kroot companion in one of the DLCs
More like 0,5%. Those 5-10% numbers are nothing but propaganda without any basis.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Progresives: All Russians are scum if they dont storm Kremlin with their bare hands the moment we demand it. And as such deserve to die.
Also Progresives: Why ARENT THEY BEING AS POZZED AS THEY WERE BEFORE REEEEEEE.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now, you know the word 'romance' is not only used to mean a type of 'feeling'. In fact, we were talking about games, and 'romance' in this context is not a 'feeling' but a type of activity you can have in the game. Yes, it might evoke feelings, the two uses are related. Same as 'romance' in 'romance novel', it refers to a type of activity characters in the novel engage in, and, admittedly, the goal is also to arouse the reader.
You are contorting the meaning of the word "romance" to suit your agenda. You're basically just a very smart version of the previous guy that tried to argue what romance is. And I'm forced to point to you exactly what I pointed out to him:

romance is a feeling of excitement related to love

It is NOT fucking bears, cunts, pederasts and everything in-between, on my screen.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
You are contorting the meaning of the word "romance" to suit your agenda. You're basically just a very smart version of the previous guy that tried to argue what romance is. And I'm forced to point to you exactly what I pointed out to him:

It is NOT fucking bears, cunts, pederasts and everything in-between, on my screen.
So i found certain ork tool, i think its named Gitfinda, can anyone tell me why its constantly pointing to Ismaul ?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

What?

I'm not contorting anything. When we speak of "romances" in a game, we're not speaking about a feeling but a type of activity/gameplay in that game.

I never said anything about fucking bears or any sort of in-game activity in particular, but clearly you're attributing something to me that you're very butthurt about.

mediocrepoet

Patron

What?

I'm not contorting anything. When we speak of "romances" in a game, we're not speaking about a feeling but a type of activity/gameplay in that game.

I never said anything about fucking bears or any sort of in-game activity in particular, but clearly you're attributing something to me that you're very butthurt about.
What? You don't normally fall in love with the make believe characters in your game? You're too well adjusted for this conversation!

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
When we speak of "romances" in a game, we're not speaking about a feeling but a type of activity/gameplay in that game.
Romance is gameplay. Good tactic. Let's see if it works for you.
I'm starting to think you're being daft on purpose, or a retard.

When a dev puts romance in a game, he's not putting in a feeling. He's putting in a type of interaction with NPCs, an activity, something you do in a game, which, you know, we call gameplay. FFS

Also, you've shifted the discussion from "prude", because you know you have no leg to stand on. Now you're going for some other dumb word I have to explain to you. Swallow your pride, learn, and move on.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Interesting news for RT DLCs.

At the very least I hope this means they'll do more than one companion addon this time, there's a lot they could do here.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Side stories are fine but only if we are talking a full-size add-on, which is at least half the size of the original.
Small dlcs are just too small for any decent RPG story & gameplay imho, thus they only work when expanding the original.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, you've shifted the discussion from "prude", because you know you have no leg to stand on. Now you're going for some other dumb word I have to explain to you. Swallow your pride, learn, and move on.
Missed opportunity to tell him to swallow his prude, disappointing.
Also, I'm not entirely sure romance can be considered a gameplay element when it is represented by discrete parts which are standalone gameplay elements(dialog trees, combat, quest system and all) if that makes sense.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
jesus they're slow

The response to the Kingmaker DLCs should've clued them in as to what people wanted. Not to mention the multitude of surveys they've done over the last five years.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've never switched the discussion from prude, because you've never convinced me you know its definition.

Just because you know the history of a word, that doesn't mean you can ignore its meaning today.

The_Mask

Patron
Also, I'm not entirely sure romance can be considered a gameplay element when it is represented by discrete parts which are standalone gameplay elements(dialog trees, combat, quest system and all) if that makes sense.
If romances are gameplay, then fucking a bear is peak design.

Ismaul, Codex 2023: A Real Argument

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom