Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Joyvankek

Learned
@Owlcat_Eyler Some what related to what I said before will there be multiple ways to start the Chaos path or will it be just one choice at one moment?
As in do I have to do the really stupid thing in the alpha of giving Warrant of Trade to some random with no guarantee of them holding up their end of the bargain in order to join Chaos
That would be a HUGE spoiler, so my lips are sealed, sorry
If you can't answer us, then at least I hope you will throw the idea around. It would be quite a disappointment if we would have our pc to be complete moron in order to get on the path to damnation.
Instead of what is closer to the lore, slow corruption, manipulation and promise of power/knowledge/pleasure and immortality as something that is basically lesser god.(Demon Prince)
It was already said in this thread, but to corrupt someone as high as RT, chaos really would need to up their game.

Instead of being corrupted by random, and not too bright, Word Bearer who instead of taking the chance to at least lie to you and make you doubt your current dogma, decided to hurl insults at you, demand that you give up the most precious possession you have(Warrant of Trade) while attacking you with psionic powers.
That's not how you convince someone that "the chaos is the only true answer", that's how you make your enemies even more loyal and keen on destroying you.

Last edited:

Joyvankek

Learned
It would be quite a disappointment if we would have our pc to be complete moron in order to get on the path to damnation.
pretty realisitic. you MUST be absolute moron to join chaos.
If you are RT, SM or an Inquisitor, or in any position with some degree of power.
For some random imperial serf, guardsmen or anyone else who don't have much of power in IoM they have nothing to lose.
But people from the upper class do end up falling to chaos, even superhumans like Primarchs.
If chaos would be so retarded as we have in alpha, nobody with half a brain would ever consider joining it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The whole thing about chaos is that it's supposed to be seductive, but in most of the written material it's just a straight idiot ball since it almost never ends up well.

Either you make it to daemon price or you get fucked. And half the time you get fucked even if you're a daemon prince because that's how chaos is. It's self-defeating.

Joyvankek

Learned
The whole thing about chaos is that it's supposed to be seductive, but in most of the written material it's just a straight idiot ball since it almost never ends up well.

Either you make it to daemon price or you get fucked. And half the time you get fucked even if you're a daemon prince because that's how chaos is. It's self-defeating.
It suffer from retarded writters.
Not to mention that chaos was supposed to be reflection of materium, and we have both good(though in warhammer that's rare) and bad.
I don't remember if this is the right one but if I remember the name right the "Pawn of Chaos" by Brian Craig novel is rare exception.
It had greater demon of Tzeentch who wasn't acting like your typical demons of Khorne or Nurgle we deal 90%, and rare POV of a chaos worshiper.

The vision of chaos as one dimensional force of retardation, without any grey area possibilities that it may have some good qualities to them. Like what we could see in Prospero before IoM showed up.
Make chaos as boring as Dark Eldars who are just torture, rape, drugs and edginess and there is nothing more to them.
Their spiky city could just get devoured by the warp, and nothing of value would be lost.

lightbane

Arcane
Having a Dark Eldar companion that IS NOT an one-note S&M psycho would be interesting. That was a potential char option in some of the RT's sourcebooks. DE PCs were fragile but had access to OP super-tech weaponry, and their mere presence dealt damage to your crew's morale. Sadly, they needed house-ruling because their "damage to morale" mechanics was minimal. On the plus side, having a DE around when an Inquisitor shows up is tempting fate for your RT to be shot.

Camel

Scholar
Having a Dark Eldar companion that IS NOT an one-note S&M psycho would be interesting. That was a potential char option in some of the RT's sourcebooks. DE PCs were fragile but had access to OP super-tech weaponry, and their mere presence dealt damage to your crew's morale. Sadly, they needed house-ruling because their "damage to morale" mechanics was minimal. On the plus side, having a DE around when an Inquisitor shows up is tempting fate for your RT to be shot.
Dark Eldar companion will be the next Drizzt the good drow. Not all Dark Eldar.

Last edited:

Nm6k

Scholar
As in do I have to do the really stupid thing in the alpha of giving Warrant of Trade to some random with no guarantee of them holding up their end of the bargain in order to join Chaos
That would be a HUGE spoiler, so my lips are sealed, sorry
Alright but I do hope you all actually listen to me and the others in the discord about it being very way too Chaotic Stupid for most people taste even for those who might want to join Chaos

Harthwain

Magister
Not to mention that chaos was supposed to be reflection of materium, and we have both good(though in warhammer that's rare) and bad.
I don't remember if this is the right one but if I remember the name right the "Pawn of Chaos" by Brian Craig novel is rare exception.
It had greater demon of Tzeentch who wasn't acting like your typical demons of Khorne or Nurgle we deal 90%, and rare POV of a chaos worshiper.
I can recommend The Enemy Within by Richard Lee Byers - it's essentially your average guy slowly getting corrupted and turned by Chaos while working undercover for Witch Hunter. It's not a masterpiece (the story is very basic), but it's really well written (in terms of pacing and depiction), considering the usual quality of books and the source material.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
There's no possibility of Eldar Human cross-breeding in modern 40k lore.

WFRP half-elves were a single footnote mention or something like that, and the background fairly quickly evolved to a point where they weren't an option at all.

Joyvankek

Learned
I can recommend The Enemy Within by Richard Lee Byers - it's essentially your average guy slowly getting corrupted and turned by Chaos while working undercover for Witch Hunter. It's not a masterpiece (the story is very basic), but it's really well written (in terms of pacing and depiction), considering the usual quality of books and the source material.
Sounds right up my alley.
Will check it out.
Generally books from the perspective of Inquisition(Eisenhorn series for example) are one of my favorites.
Or from more to the ground perspective like Commissars(if by any miracle any of you missed out on it, I recommend "First and Only" by Dan Abnet) or guardsmen.

P.S If anyone have some good one about Adeptus Mechanicus, do tell.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IF both species can reproduce with each other, half eldar would exist, doesn't matter if the Inquisition wanna to wipe them out or not. We are talking about the two horniest races of the setting and Dark Eldar enslaving humans is not uncommon. An influential "planet leader" purchasing an Eldar slave would't be unlikely either.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
That's just a Vespid.

Vespid_Fighter.png
mixed with Striking Scorpion obv
1st_Striking_Scorpions.jpg

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sounds right up my alley.
Will check it out.
Generally books from the perspective of Inquisition(Eisenhorn series for example) are one of my favorites.
Or from more to the ground perspective like Commissars(if by any miracle any of you missed out on it, I recommend "First and Only" by Dan Abnet) or guardsmen.

P.S If anyone have some good one about Adeptus Mechanicus, do tell.

Lords of Silence, by Chris Wraight, may fit your bill. It's a Post-Maledictum (but pre-Nihilus) Death Guards novel. It features the corruption and eventual fall of an Ultramarian soldier who was captured during a planetary raid.

For AdMech, the options are limited. Titanicus, by Abnett, isn't really a perfect fit but it's a great novel involving the Mechanicus. Master of Mankind, by ADB, has a strong AdMech showing throughout the novel. Their involvement in the Webway War is explored pretty extensively. Be warned it has a lot of problems though. And I hate ADB's characterization of the Emperor and the Custodes.

Unfortunately a lot of the AdMech-focused novels were written by absolute trash-tier authors. But if you're ok with wading through shit, you can also check out Graham McNeill's Mechanicum and his Lords of Mars trilogy. Mechanicum "explores" the causes of the AdMech split into the Dark Mechanicum, the Martian civil war, and the destruction of Mars. Lords of Mars is pretty generic schlock about a Magos Explorator in 41k who goes off exploratoring.

hello friend

Arcane
Joining up with Chaos isn't quite as moronic for people who have barely any idea of what chaos is or the consequences of it, some miserable hiveworlder slowly getting pulled into a slaaneshi cult by degrees makes a lot of sense if that person is a degenerate. If you know anything, then it is moronic. But most citizens of the imperium don't.

Mauman

Learned
There's no possibility of Eldar Human cross-breeding in modern 40k lore.

WFRP half-elves were a single footnote mention or something like that, and the background fairly quickly evolved to a point where they weren't an option at all.
In current canon you're right.

Non-canon there's at least one half-elf/eldar who's a part of the smurfs (because of course it'd be the FUCKING SMURFS).

Considering squats are making a comeback, who knows what kind of shit will come back next.

Trithne

Erudite
The thing about "Joining Chaos" is that people don't just say "ffffffffuck you! I'm joining Chaos!".

They join a local organization that seems entirely benign. Maybe they work in the corpse grinders, and they slowly learn and join in on the secret rituals done there. They don't know it's Chaotic, to a layman it's hard to know the difference between the right rituals and the wrong ones.

Nobles joining "secret societies" for fun or pleasure. Farmers being offered new miracle fertiliser. Soldiers getting too into the act of killing for sport.

No-one makes a concious decision to "join Chaos". They get slowly corrupted into it, without their knowledge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom