Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

CaesarCzech

Scholar
With 100 int...

Good fucking luck on that. I recall they stayed pretty faithfully close to the levelling model of the TTRPG and there getting past 70 in a stat takes significant effort.

to be fair it makes sense that theoretically 100 INT would allow him to pull MEMETIC CREEEEED

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Btw apparently the Space Wolf character is better at ranged combat than melee

:x

Well they only had 1 sharpshooter character before and then there was mechanic with his knife having 0 AP attack and the melee archeotype he was before having no limits on attacks as long as you have AP. so yeah. Obvious patchjob.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
premium pack+
The set of 3 Exclusive (for the pre-order only) In-Game Items. First is the powerful Negotiator Pistol, which decreases the effectiveness of the target's armor and grants a passive bonus to the Persuasion skill.The second is the exquisite Digital Las-Ring fitted with a potent short-range las emitter capable of striking several targets in a row. And the third is the Xeno-Pelt Cloak, a trademark garment of any respectable Rogue Trader. This item reduces the chances of suffering especially devastating hits and grants a passive bonus to the Coercion skill.

getting good items from paying extra is major decline

Californication marches on. No honor, no shame.

Where Empathy and decency hold no sway, Fear will be necessary, unfortunately we have become too soft, too kind, too focused on apperances as upper class likes instead of will to triumph of the lower classer, and i will stop my Strasserism here as we arent on 4chan.

Empathy is fake sympathy (“suffering with” in the Grk) whose purpose is to avoid the with to avoid the suffering.

A-pathos -> bathos (clownworld)

Your hard men once marched at the head of their troops, Strasser, not squirreled safely away in their bunkers. Fear is necessary for cowardice and that's the ass you've shown the world.

You retreat to the low and base because you fear you don't have what it takes to reach the heights and achieve honor. Maybe you're right!

But new generations without that stench in their nostrils should be given the chance to shoot their own shot. That's what they're for. Instead they get weed, buggery, and the lash.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
With 100 int...

Good fucking luck on that. I recall they stayed pretty faithfully close to the levelling model of the TTRPG and there getting past 70 in a stat takes significant effort.

start int 30 + 10 point char creation + 5 noble + 5 voidworld
= 50

first archtype gets 5 stat boots which are 5 each = 25

finish officer (lvl 15) with 75 int

then there are buffs + equipment so early master tactician (with single buff?) might be able to have around 100 int (as said the fuck I know)

ArchAngel

Arcane
With 100 int...

= 50

then there are buffs + equipment so early master tactician (with single buff?) might be able to have around 100 int (as said the fuck I know)
Is this another of those builds that only works at max level and you get to play it for last 5 to 10% of the content? :deathclaw:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
With 100 int...

= 50

Is this another of those builds that only works at max level and you get to play it for last 5 to 10% of the content? :deathclaw:
why would it be? it was a simple combo that only requires picking 2 talents (which you would most likely get for most of grand strategist builds anyway at least the first one) and 1 homeworld talent.
officer abilities scale mainly from fellowship (with voidborn change that to int) and grand strategist abilities fellowship + int.

early game compared to normal officer you just get 1 extra talent (be smart fel->int) and pump int instead of fellowship. it seems like very small commitment and can't be even called build just 1 small feature.

ArchAngel

Arcane
With 100 int...

= 50

why would it be? it was a simple combo that only requires picking 2 talents (which you would most likely get for most of grand strategist builds anyway at least the first one) and 1 homeworld talent.
officer abilities scale mainly from fellowship (with voidborn change that to int) and grand strategist abilities fellowship + int.

early game compared to normal officer you just get 1 extra talent (be smart fel->int) and pump int instead of fellowship. it seems like very small commitment and can't be even called build just 1 small feature.
But you need 100 int?

CaesarCzech

Scholar
premium pack+
The set of 3 Exclusive (for the pre-order only) In-Game Items. First is the powerful Negotiator Pistol, which decreases the effectiveness of the target's armor and grants a passive bonus to the Persuasion skill.The second is the exquisite Digital Las-Ring fitted with a potent short-range las emitter capable of striking several targets in a row. And the third is the Xeno-Pelt Cloak, a trademark garment of any respectable Rogue Trader. This item reduces the chances of suffering especially devastating hits and grants a passive bonus to the Coercion skill.

getting good items from paying extra is major decline

Californication marches on. No honor, no shame.

Where Empathy and decency hold no sway, Fear will be necessary, unfortunately we have become too soft, too kind, too focused on apperances as upper class likes instead of will to triumph of the lower classer, and i will stop my Strasserism here as we arent on 4chan.

Empathy is fake sympathy (“suffering with” in the Grk) whose purpose is to avoid the with to avoid the suffering.

A-pathos -> bathos (clownworld)

Your hard men once marched at the head of their troops, Strasser, not squirreled safely away in their bunkers. Fear is necessary for cowardice and that's the ass you've shown the world.

You retreat to the low and base because you fear you don't have what it takes to reach the heights and achieve honor. Maybe you're right!

But new generations without that stench in their nostrils should be given the chance to shoot their own shot. That's what they're for. Instead they get weed, buggery, and the lash.

You have enough knowledge to understand the reference yet you blame the purged for the end that happened when mine were long in their graves. Still it matters not what we would have wished to build but what IS being built right now, a dogmatic religion clad in anti-religious armor and yet welcoming other religions if they oppose what was built before. A Jealous Lord that will suffer no others, a better future was never certainity, yet there could be hope, whetever it would be build by mine by yours or by others, but you are right that nothing can be build while the rot and decay still rules. Old Left is dead and new one is rotten forsaking the people for neoliberal apperances of Victorian style fanaticism for virtue and false purity. Yet the right ? fighting against this and yet bowing to the freedom of powerful, the same powerful that have enabled this, all to divide and to consume, a desolation in cloak of many colors. Wonder what your suggestion is I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6djKy7CEKYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09LTT0xwdfw

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
With 100 int...

= 50

But you need 100 int?
for 80 wounds dmg yes which I just used as an example. with 80 int it would be 64 wounds dmg.

the main thing was just to show that it can be interesting ability to use + grand strategist should greatly benefit from voidborn homeworld when you use 1 stat (int) instead of 2 (int+fel) for modifiers.

notpl

Arbiter
Having not touched the beta or really anything about the game yet, max difficulty or penultimate?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What's really worrying is the December launch date. Most companies go out of their way to avoid launching in December.

Makes you wonder why they're doing it.

-reads discussion on wikis-

TFW when you frequent the Lexicanum over lesser websites.

View attachment 43998
How about using 1d4chan like any real Grognard?
They got almost nothing on newer board games though. About the only knock I have against them.

Also, any chan derivative rots your brain. Read enough 1d4 chan and you'll start thinking in meme speak.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/wa...t-boring-part-of-other-rpgs-the-middle-ground

Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader's most intriguing aspect is the most boring part of other RPGs - the middle ground​

Everybody disliked that, yes, but they're all hideous zealots

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only... compromise, calculation and license to misbehave. In Owlcat's forthcoming RPG Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, you play the free-wheeling head of an interstellar merchant's dynasty. Operating on the fringes of uncharted space, you're the owner of a Warrant of Trade that essentially lets you run your own miniature empire within the Imperium, deciding the fates of planets, amassing vast wealth and recruiting a motley crew of xenos, heretics and assorted weirdos. It's the kind of behaviour that'd get you vaporised if you were some run-of-the-mill Space Marine Chaplain, but out here on the frontier, you're allowed to act with impunity, providing you fulfil your overall mandate of adding to the God Emperor's glory and kicking the odd Eldar's head in.

Rogue Traders are arguably the only characters in Games Workshop's brutal and decrepit table-top setting that lend themselves to the role of CRPG protagonist, because they are the only characters in Warhammer 40K's Imperium who enjoy anything like the plot agency of a Commander Shepard. And with that, I think, comes an interesting transformation of the character alignment systems the game shares with other CRPGs such as Baldur's Gate 3.

Going by the few hours I've played of the beta, Owlcat's game gives you three overall philosophical alignments to pick from. They're offered up to you as a kind of High Gothic Pizza of Terror, with different buffs and options unlocked as you make Important Decisions and progress along each alignment's upgrade path. "Imperialis" measures your fanatical devotion to the God-Emperor, greatest of psykers and the soul-cannibalising lynchpin of humanity's galactic communications. "Hereticus" measures your fanatical devotion to the encroaching forces of Chaos, always seeking to warp unwary minds and reduce the cosmos to a demon fondue of spikes and tentacles. And "Benevolentia" measures your fanatical devotion to not being a massive dickhead all the time. It's the alignment concerned with the value of individual lives, the virtue of compromise, and the vague desire not to slaughter whole planets unnecessarily even if one of the residents did once cough at a picture of the Emperor without praying for forgiveness.

So far, these alignments split the game's dialogue choices between them in familiar ways. You can assert your zealous loyalty to the Imperium, indulge in openly Heretical banter, or Benevolently hedge your bets with that special variety of toneless and functional, "strictly business" RPG wording that always makes me think the character has cracked a fart and is hoping nobody will notice.

In most RPGs, the third option would be the most boring. It's the non-committal approach that, in my case, speaks to my dread of giving offence both within games and outside them, and my fear of missing out on something by leaning too hard in the direction of any individual NPC and their beliefs. Party-based RPGs rely on these "safe" third-way choices - without them, many players would be scared off - but I think there's a general understanding among writing teams that their job is to nudge you away from the lukewarm centre and get you experimenting with the extremes, where all the juiciest plot dynamics and lategame abilities are found. Some RPGs are openly scornful of the having-it-both-ways approach, whether by killing both the characters you refuse to choose between, or in the case of the admittedly atypical Disco Elysium, openly making fun of your hand-wringing.

But Rogue Trader is different, because in Warhammer 40,000, the extremes are extreme. Everybody who holds any kind of factional standing is some kind of arsehole. The Imperium and Chaos are two revolting institutions pointed in different directions, each the shadow of the other. The other factions are either fading, ancient empires or newer, wannabe empires or some mixture of the two. The Orcs are probably the friendliest faces at this point in Warhammer canon, and that's because, for all their tendency to hack entire solar systems to giblets, they sort of just want to party.

I should acknowledge, here, that I haven't read a lot of the Black Library books and other stories which follow specific characters through the stew of Warhammer worldbuilding. I've only really ever played the tabletop games and various strategy or action videogame adaptations, which obviously push the bloodshed to the fore. But still, this doesn't strike me as a fiction in which you'll ever persuade the opposing factions to sit down and shake hands, by religiously hitting Dialogue Option 3. And that makes the presence of the Benevolentia alignment in Rogue Trader fascinating to me, together with the other, murkier aspects of Rogue Trading I've heard about from the developers - haggling with local warlords, setting up back-alley deals, and keeping your crew of violently mismatched idealogues in check. In such a polarised universe, the real "radical" playstyle is surely the middle ground. How on earth will Owlcat pull it off?

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
While Kingmaker was bad, I played Wrath on release and it was comparably or less buggy than anything from Bethesda or pretty much any modern AAA rpg. Like BG3 was in EA for years and still has bugs.
The bugginess of Wrath very much depended on what mythic path you took. When I played in the first month I decided to switch to Legend and at the start of the next act neither my character nor the building would load and no amount of reloading or replaying the last bit of the previous act would fix it.

That said I will still be playing this on day 1, I'm just going to save my Hereticus playthrough for later since I'd bet that's going to be the buggiest of the three alignments.

Last edited:

Lamiosa

Educated
Remember, reguardless of how much you hate gaming journalists, it's not actually enough.
I foresee a Fuckload of planets nuked in his playthrough on account of all that middle ground he's gonna tread on.

I don't think OC has the balls to do that. A large portion of their playerbase are people who play RPGs to get a perfect playthough, "everybody love me" adventure. Remember Kingmaker's Act 4 changes? People will complain 24/7 if they get more than 1 or 2 unpredictable outcomes (and no, "it was obvious for someone who knows anything about 40k" won't work, as many players are coming green). They need a path for the Azata/Mercy Angel, "evil is for edgy incels" players.

lightbane

Arcane
Stats of over 60 being OP is by design. Daemons have a base willpower of 60, and it's difficult to get it that high, outside of some munchkin combos. When you have a stat that reaches 70 through bonuses and such, you'll be able to pass mosts related tests and be brutal in combat if it can be used in combat. The pnp games swing from being incompetent at scores of 20 or less, and being superhuman at 50+.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Remember, reguardless of how much you hate gaming journalists, it's not actually enough.
I foresee a Fuckload of planets nuked in his playthrough on account of all that middle ground he's gonna tread on.

I don't think OC has the balls to do that. A large portion of their playerbase are people who play RPGs to get a perfect playthough, "everybody love me" adventure. Remember Kingmaker's Act 4 changes? People will complain 24/7 if they get more than 1 or 2 unpredictable outcomes (and no, "it was obvious for someone who knows anything about 40k" won't work, as many players are coming green). They need a path for the Azata/Mercy Angel, "evil is for edgy incels" players.
Evil is that journo.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The problem is to think the Imperium of Man is evil when to squash filthy heretics and those who consort with xenos IS the good path.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

Evil is that journo.

Are journalists Tzeentchian or Slaneshi ?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Evil is that journo.

Are journalists Tzeentchian or Slaneshi ?
Worse, they're journos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom