Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Wow, I'm shocked. Seems very risky to release in such a packed year.

Most of the major RPG releases competing with this have already dropped and will probably be less of a factor around Holiday time. We still have indies like Colony Ship and Skald (if Skald actually releases), etc but I wouldn't think Owlcat considers those big enough competitors to schedule around.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder if they've decided to push forward the full release to avoid the brunt of the new Unity fees coming in 2024?

the unity thing is retroactive

unity always had an install tracker even before 2024, that's how they gonna determine the "install number"
How so ? They going to make devs pay for every unity game install they ever had ?

devs who need to pay are those with 200k installs and iirc 200k USD annual revenue. I am not sure of the number is per dev or per game basis

but yeah after that they gonna pay

indie devs with shit cashflow who happens to pass those number are royally fucked as their cash probably go directly to the next development

The CEO (ex EA, figures) is a fucking moron. Unity is precisely popular with with small to mid sized dev. The fact that fucking Unreal has a more business friendly model and better genral quality engine will just fuck Unity target market, the only advantage it has left being simpler and easier to learn

volklore

Arcane
I wonder if they've decided to push forward the full release to avoid the brunt of the new Unity fees coming in 2024?

unity always had an install tracker even before 2024, that's how they gonna determine the "install number"
How so ? They going to make devs pay for every unity game install they ever had ?

devs who need to pay are those with 200k installs and iirc 200k USD annual revenue. I am not sure of the number is per dev or per game basis

indie devs with shit cashflow who happens to pass those number are royally fucked as their cash probably go directly to the next development

The CEO (ex EA, figures) is a fucking moron. Unity is precisely popular with with small to mid sized dev. The fact that fucking Unreal has a more business friendly model and better genral quality engine will just fuck Unity target market, the only advantage it has left being simpler and easier to learn
Yeah but the fees only apply to installs after the new policy comes into play. So it makes sense for Owlcat to at least get the initial brunt of the release installs for ''free''. I guess on the long run it doesn't change much but on short term finance it might make sense.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Yeah but the fees only apply to installs after the new policy comes into play. So it makes sense for Owlcat to at least get the initial brunt of the release installs for ''free''. I guess on the long run it doesn't change much but on short term finance it might make sense.

I got different impression from my reading this morning. But there has been several updates to the articles talking about this as well

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
December 7th

I like how the narrator goes full chaos temptor by the end.

This seems like a pretty aggressive release plan by owlcat though, and I remember wotr just barely being possible to finish the first few months (iirc I had to hack my save file twice). So I'm not sure I'll D1P this, especially since patches will be delayed due to christmas.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I fear because of the completely ridiculous Unity garbage this is getting rushed to release. I'll just sit here and wait and see what others have to say when it releases...

Modron

Arcane
We all know the first year after the second* season pass is the real BETA. *adjust for current year

Terra

Cipher
Perfect timing for my Xmas break, but I hope the latter half of the game won't end up like Kingmaker's did near launch. Wondering how performance will be overall too, Wrath's Alushinyrra and a few other points of that game were far more cpu intensive than I'd have liked, want to squeeze out a bit more life from my aging 2700x before it gets retired though.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I am 100% sure it's going to be a buggy mess at launch but I'm also far too excited and impatient to wait so I will be there on day 1 running into the brick wall of gamebreaking bugs again and again. :bounce:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
:d1p:

Owlcat_Eyler, can you speak at all to what's been added (path and content-wise) since the beta? Judging by WotR's development, I assume you've all been implementing a lot of stuff that never made it into the beta.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
:d1p:

Owlcat_Eyler, can you speak at all to what's been added (path and content-wise) since the beta? Judging by WotR's development, I assume you've all been implementing a lot of stuff that never made it into the beta.
New doctrines(and reworking the old ones), more content chapters, companions quests and relationships, everything that was missing in a character generation, the conviction system was not ready in the beta, so the conviction system with all the consequences and different story outcomes, space battle was also not final in the beta. That's all that comes to mind right now, I could forget something.
Also, we got feedback in the survey that the game lacks tutorials, so they've also been added.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Wow, I'm shocked. Seems very risky to release in such a packed year.
Yeah I was hoping for early 2042 for my own purely selfish reasons.

Albeit December 2023 isn't too bad of a release window I suppose as it gives it a wide-enough berth from BG3/Starfield.

This year's release schedule really does seem like a massive consequence of all the stupid COVID shutdowns over the past few years.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am 100% sure it's going to be a buggy mess at launch but I'm also far too excited and impatient to wait so I will be there on day 1 running into the brick wall of gamebreaking bugs again and again. :bounce:
I did that with both Pathfinders and paid a premium for the privilege. I think I'll let you guys jump on this grenade and check it out in early 2025 or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom