Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Gameplay Trailer

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trailer is good, but what part of content is "Trader"?

I mean, I certainly can pay attention to such a game but "trader"? Where?
Trade in the East India company sense: establish outpost, subjugate locals, and send resources home for means to further expand.

Jormundgander

Novice
Looks as generic and cheap as Pathfinders were, can't quite put a finger on it but the lack of flair is distinctive. Kinda reminds me of Shadowrun -- B-tier games.
The Shadowrun games were pretty good. (Well, not the first one, but that wasn't as bad as people claim either.)

If this is like a Shadowrun game, it'll be better than I hoped. The style is a bit too comic-like, though.
B-tier *is* good, whereas A(AA) is excellent. Pathfinder games were not excellent, neither were the modern Shadowrun games. They were good, though. I just hoped that Owlcat would up their game a bit, like to A- at least.

Then tell us which games do you consider A/AA from the last decade?

RegionalHobo

Scholar
i dunno, enemies feel like another bg like fantasy and not warhammer at all

i hope we get some warp horrors better than fish, some nasty looking demons and aliens, hell any crazy shit is welcome

perhaps the trailer does not want to spoil shit, perhaps there s nothing yet to spoil but looking at that even planescape is more grimdark than this

Sin2x

Scholar
Looks as generic and cheap as Pathfinders were, can't quite put a finger on it but the lack of flair is distinctive. Kinda reminds me of Shadowrun -- B-tier games.
The Shadowrun games were pretty good. (Well, not the first one, but that wasn't as bad as people claim either.)

If this is like a Shadowrun game, it'll be better than I hoped. The style is a bit too comic-like, though.
B-tier *is* good, whereas A(AA) is excellent. Pathfinder games were not excellent, neither were the modern Shadowrun games. They were good, though. I just hoped that Owlcat would up their game a bit, like to A- at least.

Then tell us which games do you consider A/AA from the last decade?
Hmmmm. Divinity and Pillars are the only ones that get close, I guess. There weren't true A(AA) CRPGs since 2009's DAO. Rather sad state of affairs, come to think of it.

Shaki

Arbiter
Where is muh grimdark, why does this look more like children cartoons than Warhammer. Also where is the gameplay, in the gameplay trailer?

I'm starting to think Rusty was right after all, and Owlcat really is full of faggots (still better than Larian tho)

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
why does this look more like children cartoons
Warhammer is for everyone you ageist shitlord.

WarhammerAdventures_feat.jpg

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Trade in the East India company sense: establish outpost, subjugate locals, and send resources home for means to further expand.

Cant wait for that minigame to ruin the game
They have a pretty good record of turning concepts that look interesting on paper into terrible minigames indeed...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

They have a pretty good record of turning concepts that look interesting on paper into terrible minigames indeed...

Because RPGs dont need elaborate minigames

Especially half-finished facebook-level trash such as Kingdom Management

Example of minigame done right = simple unobtrusive gameplay

Like fishing in Underrail or Pazaak in SWKotOR

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Looks like complete shit, tbh. Generic fantasy game #345.

A big part about wh40k are the impossibly big gunz they are shooting. Where is the gore? This feels like they are shooting BB guns at the enemies.

Peachcurl

Cipher

I don't think minigame is the correct term. Something like macrogame would be more fitting.

(but I agree that the risk exists)

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

A big part about wh40k are the impossibly big gunz they are shooting. Where is the gore? This feels like they are shooting BB guns at the enemies.

It is because almost everything (all skeleton rigs, models and animations) are ported directly from Kingmaker with slight adjustments. That is why everything looks goofy, and the characters look slouched. They made 2 games that sold well, and yet they can't be arsed to me make proper skeleton rigs for a game with guns.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

It is because almost everything (all skeleton rigs, models and animations) are ported directly from Kingmaker with slight adjustments.

That is why everything looks goofy, and the characters look slouched.

They made 2 games that sold well, and yet they can't be arsed to me make proper skeleton rigs for a game with guns.

This is correct

Kingmaker engine reskin

Mortmal

Arcane

Translating the kind of artwork you can see in the tabletop roguetrader books ,it requires skills owlcat simply doesnt have,they arent so bad but cleary not at the same level. Who was really expecting that to happen ? There's probably no will to make it more faithful either its warhamer mainstream version as usual. It could be a lot worse, have a look at the other warhammer pc games and mmo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom