Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Consequences Showcase

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I would have a raging boner for this game if it wasn't using standard Owlcat graphics.
And also standard Owlcat writing

The writing from what I played in the Beta is better than WoTR or Kingmaker, although it does suffer from the same ponderous, blocky paragraphs of unneeded text.

They could reduce the word count of the game by 50% and it would be a huge upgrade.

But I will say that writing is something I'm hyper-elitist over and it seems at least serviceable so far.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would have a raging boner for this game if it wasn't using standard Owlcat graphics.

The writing from what I played in the Beta is better than WoTR or Kingmaker, although it does suffer from the same ponderous, blocky paragraphs of unneeded text.

They could reduce the word count of the game by 50% and it would be a huge upgrade.

But I will say that writing is something I'm hyper-elitist over and it seems at least serviceable so far.
Dunno man. I checked some gameplay and right from the start you are being bashed with what I consider Owlcat’s standard writing. Some huge and dangerous creature which is supposed to be a pet of some noble has escaped and YOUR help is needed. It’s like I am participating in a dnd session with 14 yo person being a dm. It’s what I can’t bear in their games — amateurish and overly childish writing for either quests, plots and characters.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Dunno man. I checked some gameplay and right from the start you are being bashed with what I consider Owlcat’s standard writing. Some huge and dangerous creature which is supposed to be a pet of some noble has escaped and YOUR help is needed. It’s like I am participating in a dnd session with 14 yo person being a dm. It’s what I can’t bear in their games — amateurish and overly childish writing for either quests, plots and characters.

My standards have slipped so low that I would consider actual "good" game writing to be the sole domain of older releases and possibly the rare indie.

I wouldn't expect anything beyond the baseline that BioWare/Larian/Owlcat have created: cartoonish campaigns formulated for broad appeal.

When I say serviceable, I meant that I wasn't rolling my eyes every three minutes like WoTR or DOS2.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Really hoping they don't girl-boss this shit.
as if they wouldn't.

I'm looking forward to it even though 40k RPGs (it's a war game for me, period) are wierd, I'm pretty sure I will enjoy it nonetheless.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I wouldn't expect anything beyond the baseline that BioWare/Larian/Owlcat have created: cartoonish campaigns formulated for broad appeal.

Then don't talk out of your ass

It is the same old shit, you can tell from miles away

RPG decline is going to continue until people stop sugarcoating and start saying it how it is.

Dunno man. I checked some gameplay and right from the start you are being bashed with what I consider Owlcat’s standard writing.

Of course

Because writing doesn't magically change overnight.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

RPG decline is going to continue until people stop sugarcoating and start saying how it is

Look, I'm 100% onboard the codex bandwagon of "everything is shit and will never get better," but if you can't admit that something is simply mid instead of complete garbage, then it's just a circlejerk.

Mortmal

Arcane
It could be a lot worse, with graphics similar to the overwhelming majority of games, which feature wow-like graphics. I would prefer it to be dirtier and more grimdark, similar to the source material. However, we are within the tolerance range there.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

RPG decline is going to continue until people stop sugarcoating and start saying how it is

Look, I'm 100% onboard the codex bandwagon of "everything is shit and will never get better," but if you can't admit that something is simply mid instead of complete garbage, then it's just a circlejerk.
It’s not just Codex being Codex, no. The decline in games design is palpable. Simplification, fan catering, absolute impotence in regards of writing — it is everywhere. The majority of titles are being done by corporate minded people with little to no interest in games themselves. it’s not that there were times when profits were off the table, but for some reason back then people made games they themselves were religiously interested in, they were acts of creativity and imaginative powers beyond mere “products”. We were captivated by these games because they were created with this sole purpose to be captivating for both gamers and their creators. When I read Owlcat’s attempts at writing I cannot fucking believe someone who wrote it is captivated by any of these. It looks more like a cargo cult when people realize the overall template for the process of designing a game, but they struggle to understand the meaning of the process. There supposed to be quests, so they make them damn fucking quests. There supposed to be companions and so they make them damn companions. Everything does its job but there’s no magic, because nobody out there is interested in this. Not seeing this, buying these games is conforming to this reality and allowing the medium to deteriorate even further.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Look, I'm 100% onboard the codex bandwagon of "everything is shit and will never get better," ...

We have gotten between 10 and 12 new classics so clearly not everything is shit. It is just a meme.

... but if you can't admit that something is simply mid instead of complete garbage, then it's just a circlejerk

Completely random strawman factoid

You said the writing was better then that it still has lore dumps. So what will it be? The lore dumps are better?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
You said the writing was better then that it still has lore dumps. So what will it be? The lore dumps are better?

I didn't say anything about lore dumps. I said "ponderous, blocky paragraphs of unneeded text."

As for why it the writing is better, it's not hard to guess. WoTR had cringe characters in a cringe setting. Rogue Trader for the most part does not (haven't met the space furry or edgy elf yet though).

The first companion you meet is the no-nonsense, competent and experienced Abelard. Regular love muh emperor kind of dude. Then you meet a standard-ass psyker and standard battle sister (although one that unfortunately does not come with power armor).

Compare that to WoTR, where the first companions you meet are retards, someone who's clearly a psycho, a evil spider lady and Lann. A literal mongrelman.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Wrath of the Righteous was so unforgivably, insultingly terrible that I would have to skip this one even if it was the best rpg of all time. It's the principle of the thing that they would have to gall to take my money and then proceeded to cringe me out so hard that my bones began to snap within the first 30 minutes. Even the Dwarf character was a damn fop. Everyone involved in writing any of the text that was displayed to me in that game should have their hands mulched into ground meat and then have to eat a raw "handburger" while I watch.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I didn't say anything about lore dumps. I said "ponderous, blocky paragraphs of unneeded text."

Are you serious with this?

EDIT: Tyranicon it is the same thing

There is a difference between lore dumps and unneeded text. Most of the superfluous text in Rogue Trader is describing things happening in the moment, rather than lore. I think the game expects its player base to already know the 40k setting.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
If the game still has frequent walls of text, like we know it does, the writing is still shit. So I don't see how it got any better.

Most of the superfluous text in Rogue Trader is describing things happening in the moment, rather than lore

I know you know what I meant. No need to be a purposefully obtuse pedantic whore.

Last edited:

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Ponderous, blocky paragraphs of unneeded text seem to be perfectly in-line with W40k.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom