Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Warhammer 40,000 Lore Thread

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The Tyranid hive mind is the wildcard but we have virtually nothing on it as a whole. It's so undeveloped as a being we can't really rate it.
Also the fact one of the main hives was defeated already.
Imperial propaganda.

We aren't sending our best. Those are just the scouts. ;)

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Any hive fleet that gets defeated -> It was really just a splinter of a splinter.

Any Ork WaaaaAAAgh gets defeated -> It was fun and stuff, and they'll be back to do it again.

Any eldar force gets defeated -> They didn't really, it was just a trick, and if it wasn't, then they lost intentionally for reasons.

Any Imperial force gets defeated -> We have reserves, what does 100 million human lives matter against the vast horrors of the universe?

Grimdark in a nutshell.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Any hive fleet that gets defeated -> It was really just a splinter of a splinter.

Any Ork WaaaaAAAgh gets defeated -> It was fun and stuff, and they'll be back to do it again.

Any eldar force gets defeated -> They didn't really, it was just a trick, and if it wasn't, then they lost intentionally for reasons.

Any Imperial force gets defeated -> We have reserves, what does 100 million human lives matter against the vast horrors of the universe?

Grimdark in a nutshell.
GeeDubs just wants to keep the status quo and keep the dollerinos rolling...

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Grimdark in a nutshell.
GeeDubs just wants to keep the status quo and keep the dollerinos rolling...

Modern GW is more than happy to progress the overarching plot of the setting and introduce drastic new changes.

People are generally not happy with these (especially fans of Warhammer Fantasy lol).

Just wait, if the Henry Cavill show gets traction, 40k is going to be completely marvelized.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Which force is the most powerful? Noob here

- Chaos Gods
- the C'tan (I know they are the oldest)
- Old Ones (don't exist anymore?)
- The Great Devourer (Tyranids must have some ultimate 'brain' outside of the Galaxy)
- The Emperor
Humanity during the Dark Age of Technology.

Shig

Novice
Warhammer fantasy was dying which is why they killed it off. I don't think there was any way to save it.
lol, lmao even.

Fantasy's issue was that the barrier to entry was high, even by GW standards. You needed more minis on the table, rules were not as streamlined as 40k (yes, even in 40k's earlier eds), and they ended up writing themselves into a corner with End Times and therefore had nowhere to go release-wise. There are other factors at play, that maybe are a bit more subjective, like how Fantasy was always more of the grognard's game and thus was harder to simply walk in and chill at the Fantasy tables, or how painting some of the armies was a daunting task, to say the least. But either way, it was the perfect storm to get that, amazing, setting killed. I hope they do a better job with Old World, and though I really don't agree with starting OW as far back in the timeline as they did, it at least gives them a chance to not step on their dicks this time around.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Shig Yeah - warhammer fantasy just didn't do well saleswise. GW saw the writing on the wall and strangled their baby because they are ruthless (and unreasonably litigious). I always preferred 40k over fantasy anyway so it never bothered me.

Caim

Arcane
Looking forward to how they'll homogay it up like they do with AoS.
As long as I can remember (20+ years) people have memed on Games Workshop's inability to make feminine faces, going back as far as the slave girls on Asdrubael Vect's vehicle.

This is Pontifex Zenestra, the matriach of a cult dedicated to Sigmar (so not the Sigmarite pope on par with Volkmar the Grim). The model was released last August:

oqmtUnQrTjNPdNTa.jpg

B6HPk8jlHZ9Ztl0C.jpg

That'll be $70.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
We have reserves, what does 100 million human lives matter against the vast horrors of the universe?
What kind of backwater is that supposed to be? A proper Hive World would be 100 billion.* And those do get sterilised by order of the Inquisition from time to time.

*Probably closer to 30 if there is some form of ash wastes between the hives, and the planet is not *completely* covered in arcologies, like Holy Terra is for example. But y'know, had to keep the phrasing.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
I finished reading Godblight today. Alot of good lore bits.
Cliffnotes version if you can't be bothered.

+ Potential primarch redemption
+ Big E is unfucking himself slowly....ish? The great rift seems to be allowing him to piece together the fragmentation of himself caused by powering the astronomicon.
+ Emperor torched that fat fucks lawn in the warp.
+ Mortarion despite being a Demon Prince is still a loser.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Like I said way earlier, the Joytoy models are legit. I have a half squad of Black Templars and they're very decent quality, if maybe overpriced for what they are.

Shig

Novice
The quality of JoyToy stuff varies, from my own limited experience with it. I have Big Blue, and he looks absolutely stunning. I got some Smurfs to accompany him and one of their faces looks like it was painted by an armless ten year old (which I suppose is in the realm of possibility for China's workforce). Luckily, I do not believe in not wearing your fucking helmet, so it didn't affect my display case, but it very well could have, and the return policy on JoyToys is: "lol, gl."

It wouldn't stop me from going back and getting another one I suppose, but I wouldn't feel 100% about it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Which force is the most powerful? Noob here

- Chaos Gods
- the C'tan (I know they are the oldest)
- Old Ones (don't exist anymore?)
- The Great Devourer (Tyranids must have some ultimate 'brain' outside of the Galaxy)
- The Emperor
Humanity during the Dark Age of Technology.
Which btw was a much stronger, much more "humane" galactic civilization. In other words it's a period of time that's probably more absurd and high tech than 30k-40k. However, this prior civilization was hit by the most massive warpstorm possible to the degree where the Earth was separated from said civilization. And since it was all governed from Earth, its separation meant the death of administration, organization, governance of the colonial expansion.

Thus for all intents and purposes, the Emprah was trying really hard to bring back the good days. Which is a huge fucking difficulty. Thus the violence during "Great Crusade." Again, based on 40k standards, it's absurdly justified violence.

---

Also, in terms of power already demonstrated in lore:
- The "War In Heaven" Old Ones vs. C'Tan were the first major conflict. That doesn't technically say the conflict was the hardest but the situation hints pretty hard towards that. Especially given the name. As well as the ramifications:
- The C'Tan created the Necrons as their army
- The Old Ones as a response created the Eldar and the Orks as their armies
-- Funny: Orks have technological knowledge and psyker capability bred/engineered into their DNA. That's why they use it but don't learn it.
- This War in Heaven created Chaos in what was once a neutral Warp.
- The Eldar created one of the four Chaos Gods. Slaanesh, the This is because the Eldar were a superbly powerful galactic civilization to the point where civilians had nothing to do but do more degenerate things - drugs, orgies, etc.
- Chaos is the biggest threat to civilization right now.

So if you go by this logic.. You'll fry your brain because it's the 40k setting is intentionally convoluted as fuck. I mean, this is when the the Creator makes his Creations stronger than himself. It's very much the opposite of normal logic. So who actually is the stronger - the progenitor or its descendants?

---

Agan this is why I like 40k - the absurdism. Not at ALL out of reason. No, just simple entertainment XD

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Also, in terms of power already demonstrated in lore:
- The "War In Heaven" Old Ones vs. C'Tan were the first major conflict. That doesn't technically say the conflict was the hardest but the situation hints pretty hard towards that. Especially given the name. As well as the ramifications:
- The C'Tan created the Necrons as their army
- The Old Ones as a response created the Eldar and the Orks as their armies
-- Funny: Orks have technological knowledge and psyker capability bred/engineered into their DNA. That's why they use it but don't learn it.
- This War in Heaven created Chaos in what was once a neutral Warp.
- The Eldar created one of the four Chaos Gods. Slaanesh, the This is because the Eldar were a superbly powerful galactic civilization to the point where civilians had nothing to do but do more degenerate things - drugs, orgies, etc.
- Chaos is the biggest threat to civilization right now.

So if you go by this logic.. You'll fry your brain because it's the 40k setting is intentionally convoluted as fuck. I mean, this is when the the Creator makes his Creations stronger than himself. It's very much the opposite of normal logic. So who actually is the stronger - the progenitor or its descendants?

So Necrons > CTan? And Chaos > Old Ones?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom