Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Warhammer 40,000 Lore Thread

Caim

Arcane
Nids on sale now. Few interesting bits:

- Collector's edition Codex already sold out
- Combat Patrol is everything in the starter set plus five Barbgaunts
- Biovore/Pyrovore on an 80mm base. Oh, and they're already sold out
- Neurolictor is a different set from the base Lictor
- Termagant box has only one of each different special weapon (spike rifle, strangleweb and shardlauncher)
- Hormagaunt sprue, aside from a few extra heads, is extremely economical and you'll use almost every bit on there, so no extra upgrades like toxin sacs and adrenal glands
- No news about the Screamer-Killer, Neurotyrant and all the other stuff that was in the Leviathan box

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Some Black Templar Epicness from John Blanche.
warhammer-40k-artist-john-blanche-black-templars.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That's really the kind of speech only Sanguinius of all Primarchs could deliver and make you believe it.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Was thinking about who has rivalries with who, a bit of an old topic on the internet.

In terms of Space Marines:
  • - Ultramarines: Arch Enemies - 1). Word Bearers (for the Invasion of Ultramar), 2). Tyranids (for the First Tyrannic War)
  • - Blood Angels: Arch Enemies - 1). Black Legion (for killing Sanguinius), 2). Tyranids (for the Desolation of Baal)
  • - Dark Angels: Arch Enemies - 1). The Fallen (for Luther's betrayal / destruction of Caliban)
  • - Space Wolves: Arch Enemies - 1). Thousand Sons (for the Burning of Prospero / Battle of the Fang)
  • - Imperial Fists: Arch Enemies - 1). Iron Warriors (old professional rivalry / for the Siege of Terra)
  • - Iron Hands: Arch Enemies - 1). Emperor's Children (for killing Ferrus Manus)
  • - White Scars: Arch Enemies - 1). Dark Eldar (for perhaps stranding Jaghatai?)
  • - Salamanders: Arch Enemies - 1). Dark Eldar (for raids on their homeworld)
  • - Crimson Fists: Arch Enemies - 1). Orks (for the Invasion of Rynn's World)
In terms of Traitor Marines:
  • - Word Bearers: Arch Enemies - 1). Ultramarines (old professional rivalry / Ultramar Campaign)
  • - Iron Warriors: Arch Enemies - 1). Imperial Fists (old professional rivalry / for the Siege of Terra)
  • - Thousand Sons: Arch Enemies - 1). Space Wolves (for the Burning of Prospero / Battle of the Fang)
Abhumans and xenos:
  • - Craftworld Eldar: Arch Enemies - 1). All of Chaos, especially Slaanesh
  • - - - Biel-Tan: Arch Enemies - 1). Plus Orks
  • - - - Iyanden: Arch Enemies - 1). Plus Tyranids
  • - - - Alaitoc: Arch Enemies - 1). Plus Necrons
  • - Leagues of Votann: Arch Enemies - 1). Orks
I think there are some obvious ones I'm missing. Can people think of more, especially later foundings of Astartes?

I'm thinking 'major hatreds' rather than just 'we fought a couple of times', so Space Wolves and Thousand Sons.

For a long time I was thinking of collecting Crimson Fists because I wanted a xenos rivalry, and specifically Orks.

Caim

Arcane
Space Wolves have the Inquisition, because they spoke out in favor of not killing civilians who were around when Chaos stuff happened.

Same for the Celestial Lions (a post-21st Founding Imperial Fists successor), except they didn't have the numbers or sheer balls to stand up against the Inquision, lost a fair number of the Chapter in Warp transit and almost all of the rest (including all of the Apothecaries) to "Ork snipers". One of those even stole the last of their gene-seed.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Blood Angels - Black Legions sounds about right. Bad blood between them, the death of Sanguinius at the hands of Horus and the sheer killing they unleashed upon one another over the centuries.
I would also like to add Blood Angels - World Eaters. Both are melee combat obsessed freaks and the sheer carnage they cause when fighting one another is guaranteed to give Khorne a boner...
Nassir Amit fought in the World Eaters Pits and impressed even Kharn. They also fought each other in a duel and it was a draw...
Still no lore on the relationship between Sanguinius and Angron pre-heresy.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
People sometimes say the Space Wolves care a lot about civilians (a bit of a suprising thing, if they are the 'executioners' of the Emperor, unleashed on a target Mankind needs utterly obliterating), but I think there is more to it than that. They just have an extreme premodern warrior ethic, like the Klingons of Star Trek; they will stick beside someone who has proven their bravery in battle to the bitter end, against any odds. Once decided that an ally has courage, they will go to any length, including facing the Inquisition. Other military or civilians they don't give a toss about.

Blood Angels - Black Legions sounds about right.
I sometimes forget too, Abaddon is wearing the actual Power Claw that killed Sanguinius.

RGBxSeo.png

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
People sometimes say the Space Wolves care a lot about civilians (a bit of a suprising thing, if they are the 'executioners' of the Emperor, unleashed on a target Mankind needs utterly obliterating), but I think there is more to it than that. They just have an extreme premodern warrior ethic, like the Klingons of Star Trek; they will stick beside someone who has proven their bravery in battle to the bitter end, against any odds. Once decided that an ally has courage, they will go to any length, including facing the Inquisition. Other military or civilians they don't give a toss about.
Yes.
Russ curbed the bloodlust of his legion and turned it around. The fact the Wolves stood up for the people of Armageddon in the face of the Inquisition and the Grey Knights speaks volumes about their concern for humans and the bravery of those fallen on Armageddon.
Sanguinius did a very similar thing to the Blood Angels. He brought humanity and refinement. Even so, the Blood Angels still had the Red Thirst to deal with, now they have an even worst affliction - The Black Rage.

std::namespace

I sometimes forget too, Abaddon is wearing the actual Power Claw that killed Sanguinius.
tfw I randomly click on thread with new posts:
A fully grown man (supposedly) posts a picture of a plastic Barbie doll and in full srsness says: "those shoes my doll is wearing, those were the shoes she won the World Fashion Show 1999 (authors note: imaginary) in! Wowzies!"

The people I post on the same forums with... I could be arguing with such a specimen! Goddamn!

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
Yes.
Russ curbed the bloodlust of his legion and turned it around. The fact the Wolves stood up for the people of Armageddon in the face of the Inquisition and the Grey Knights speaks volumes about their concern for humans and the bravery of those fallen on Armageddon.
I'm certain that many worlds were doomed or at least subject to major chaos uprisings because of the folly of the space wolves. In the story the inquisition is obviously antagonistic but the initial idea of containing the spread of chaos malignancy was sound and the space wolves were daft to fight them over it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yes.
I'm certain that many worlds were doomed or at least subject to major chaos uprisings because of the folly of the space wolves. In the story the inquisition is obviously antagonistic but the initial idea of containing the spread of chaos malignancy was sound and the space wolves were daft to fight them over it.
Containing Chaos corruption? Yes, also a good justification.
But sterilizing and mind wiping the population of Armageddon, many brave people who fought against such odds? That's what the wolves couldn't stand.
I rather liked Hyperion though. One of the few Grey Knights I can respect.

Caim

Arcane
These two bundles contain the exact same miniatures, except with the first you get rule booklets, dice, rulers, a playmat and everything you need to play. The second one just contains the miniatures, with the rules being a seperate (free) download. Can you spot the issue?

Warhammer 40k starter set: 85 euros
Barbgaunt brood: 35 euros
Librarian in Terminator armor: 31,50 euros
Total: 151,50 euros

Combat Patrol Space Marines: 125 euros
Combat Patrol Tyranids: 125 euros
Total: 250 euros

Bonus round, the ultimate starter set has the same miniatures and some terrain for 160 euros.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can at best assume the second one is for dudes who want extra minis.

Caim

Arcane
I can at best assume the second one is for dudes who want extra minis.
Let's take a look at the Space Marine combat patrol box:

60010199067_WH40kUltimateStarterSet2.jpg

No, I didn't fuck up posting nor did extra images not load. Those are in fact twelve miniatures for 125 euros. A Terminator Captain, a Terminator Librarian, 5 regular Terminators and 5 of the new Infernus Marines, who are just normal Marines but with flamethrowers. Now you may ask, surely these models come with a boatload of extra bits and weapon options to make this set worth it, right?

Nope, these are the same monopose push fit models you get in the starter box. Just clip them out, push them together and you're ready to play. This makes sense in a starter box except these are not starter boxes, and all of the other combat patrol boxes contain normal miniatures that are much more intricate to build.

And while I'm a Tyranid enjoyer, they didn't win the lottery either:

60010199067_WH40kUltimateStarterSet3.jpg

A winged Warrior Prime, twenty Termagants with Fleshborers (so no of the new speical weapons, get fucked), two Ripper swarms (now limited to up to 3 models per unit, and you can only field 3 units per army), five Barbgaunts (who can be purchased seperately, and they're still pushfit), three Von Ryan's Leapers (who have their unwieldy name so that GW can copyright the name) and a Psychophage (which despite its size consists of only nine parts). Only the Barbaunts and Termagants can be purchased seperately, so if you want anythign else you better fork over that dough. But if you're not interested in the Barbgaunts it's better to buy the regular starter set.

But with all of that said, there's a way to get the pushfit Termagants on the cheap. Normally they cost 35 euros per 10 plus Ripper (which is still ludicrious), but for $40 you can get 20 of them, a play mat and a model of Captain Titus from the Space Marine video games... if you live near a Target, that is.

https://www.target.com/p/games-workshop-space-marine-the-board-game/-/A-87877079

These two bundles contain the exact same miniatures, except with the first you get rule booklets, dice, rulers, a playmat and everything you need to play. The second one just contains the miniatures, with the rules being a seperate (free) download. Can you spot the issue?

Bonus round, the ultimate starter set has the same miniatures and some terrain for 160 euros.
Just GW being a bunch of kikes, as usual. The most recent Space Marines combat patrol is the same as the previous one, minus the Impulsor, at the same price.

I got myself a Leviathan box from eBay in late August for 200 EUR, there should be some left over in the EU market (getting one from the UK would be much cheaper... if not for the import taxes), and it's the same set as the Ultimate Starter box plus some extra stuff, enough to make a 1000 points army with the Space Marines, and almost 800 points worth of Tyrannids, although the characters in either side are rather mismatched and won't make an optimized list without buying extra stuff, which I guess is the point (e.g.: the Apothecary Biologis doesn't have a Gravis unit to attach to, so you'll have to get Heavy Intercessors, Aggressors, or somesuch, there's a captain and a psyker both in Terminator armour, but a single unit of Terminators, and a Lieutenant that's specced to go solo and specifically against Tyranids, but hey, at least there's a Dreadnought in there which is nice to have in any situation).

But anyway, the prices are crazier than ever, it's worth checking eBay for still valid models from previous editions from someone's pile of shame.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane

Just GW being a bunch of kikes, as usual. The most recent Space Marines combat patrol is the same as the previous one, minus the Impulsor, at the same price.

I got myself a Leviathan box from eBay in late August for 200 EUR, there should be some left over in the EU market (getting one from the UK would be much cheaper... if not for the import taxes), and it's the same set as the Ultimate Starter box plus some extra stuff, enough to make a 1000 points army with the Space Marines, and almost 800 points worth of Tyrannids, although the characters in either side are rather mismatched and won't make an optimized list without buying extra stuff, which I guess is the point (e.g.: the Apothecary Biologis doesn't have a Gravis unit to attach to, so you'll have to get Heavy Intercessors, Aggressors, or somesuch, there's a captain and a psyker both in Terminator armour, but a single unit of Terminators, and a Lieutenant that's specced to go solo and specifically against Tyranids, but hey, at least there's a Dreadnought in there which is nice to have in any situation).

But anyway, the prices are crazier than ever, it's worth checking eBay for still valid models from previous editions from someone's pile of shame.
If you were to split the contents of a Leviathan box in half by faction you have way more stuff than in the Combat Patrols. That would make them good deals for the Patrols even with the models being pushfit instead of kits with multiple options.

Caim

Arcane
So they're going to reprint Rogue Trader.

60040199000_RTBookMTO1PoD.jpg

Estimated delivery in 180 working days. That's not a typo or a joke, it says so on the website. Because the book's print on demand it somehow takes them 36 weeks to deliver it. You can order until November 6th, which to show an estimate on the delivery time if you ordered on that date the delivery would be around May 4th next year. Also it's 55 euros or your regional equivalent.

Lmao, I say.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Rogue Trader is somewhat interesting for lore purposes too. But the number one book that fans should read for an understanding of Warhammer 40,000 lore, remains Codex Imperialis:

Qy1qbgW.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
People sometimes say the Space Wolves care a lot about civilians (a bit of a suprising thing, if they are the 'executioners' of the Emperor, unleashed on a target Mankind needs utterly obliterating)
Targets = Other primarchs.

Anyways I just realized Rogal Dorn has the emotional IQ of a Custodian.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Anyways I just realized Rogal Dorn has the emotional IQ of a Custodian.
Yeah.
And he is not alone in that regard:
Perturabo, The Lion, Ferrus Manus (though he had a strong friendship with Fulgrim).
Yeah but Dorn also was assigned to defend the Emprah as if a custodian guard. And he wears yellow.

Also The Lion has the emotional IQ of the Emprah, for better or worse embodying his Daddy problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom