Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War - turn-based 4X from Slitherine

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
How are they inspired by nu-Civ?

Btw I‘ve completed all the factions in Gladius except Delves and Sistahz and I’m bored now. Anything to spice things up?
PvP?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Not really though? Even looking only at the last couple of posts, compare PC2 to FG2 and it's pretty obvious. It's not only about presentation, ui and the overall feel of moment to moment gameplay, but completely dropping various core mechanics that defined the genre in the nineties. There are degrees, of course, FG2 still does share some important parts with its predecessor.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't like the hex-based system devs keep using that is perhaps inspired by nu-Civ, even to the point of reworking the MoM remake to use hexes, but that's about it. The most obvious change between FG1 and 2 I can think of is how ranged units work, which made them overpowered. I much prefer the way Field of Glory handles ranged units, but that's neither here nor there. I think I prefer 1upt because it makes each unit count.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not really though? Even looking only at the last couple of posts, compare PC2 to FG2 and it's pretty obvious. It's not only about presentation, ui and the overall feel of moment to moment gameplay, but completely dropping various core mechanics that defined the genre in the nineties. There are degrees, of course, FG2 still does share some important parts with its predecessor.
However, Gladius city building is nothing like Civ at all, and its combat also plays very differently, being much closer to PG than civ.
It doesn't even feature civ signature level up abilities for units, who just get numeral increases (apart from heroes, but they end up with a sizeable part of the skill choices anyway).

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The AI with moderate bonus fucking butchers me. I’ve noticed that if I don’t engage the AI earlier in the game and don’t cripple its progression, it becomes unstoppable later since apparently it is much better at scaling production and warfare. I am more comfortable with like three cities and a compact elite army, while this mf can swarm the map with all types of trash and it utilizes LOS and overwatch much better than me. I played SM vs Orks and I missed that window to engage it and now it’s just an endless stream of green tide with every tile in and around my city being an ork fungus. Regretfully it’s just not fun with each turn taking too long and achieves very little.

Also this game needs a line of sight indicator of some sort, thing drives me mad.

flyingjohn

Arcane
The AI with moderate bonus fucking butchers me.
Git Gud.
I’ve noticed that if I don’t engage the AI earlier in the game and don’t cripple its progression, it becomes unstoppable later
True for every single early-mid focused faction. Which SM are.
I am more comfortable with like three cities
That is fine and recommended because of loyalty, minus if you are Nids.
compact elite army
That is not fine. Numbers mean everything. If you can't swarm your opponent then your "elite" army is practically useless. Minus some extreme examples like a tier 8 vs tier 2. I had plenty of games where lower tiered units just swarmed and destroyed higher tier units and cities. The SM grenade upgrades make them a deadly force all the way until somebody reached tier 6.
LOS and overwatch much better than me
Meh, the AI is not good at those things. You just need scouts or a sacrificial units to go in blind to detect their ambush. Plus you can use these elements yourself. The amount of times AI units have practically suicided into my units trying to follow me in a forest is too frequent for my tastes.
I played SM vs Orks and I missed that window to engage it
Yeah you are dead if you are going late game vs anything as SM. Any faction would demolish you if you didn't stop their expansion. Tactical marines with grenades ,bikes and a single Hero are enough to shit on any early orc expansion while you take over the map resources with bikes. And devastators will ruin their day easily soon since they are a tier 3 unit and hit like a truck. After that you can choose whatever you fancy for finishing them.
Also this game needs a line of sight indicator of some sort, thing drives me mad.
The UI lacks a lot of thing. Damage preview should show both melee and ranged, there is no interactive wiki, etc..

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How valid is the tactic of boosting research from the start to get high tier units earlier in the game in multiplayer? It works for me playing vs AI on large maps, but I feel like missing some fun skipping low and mid tier units.

Lacrymas

Arcane
How valid is the tactic of boosting research from the start to get high tier units earlier in the game in multiplayer? It works for me playing vs AI on large maps, but I feel like missing some fun skipping low and mid tier units.
It depends on the faction and map size. SM tend to do well with that on a larger map f.e. Boosting research early on smaller maps is 99.9% of the time a bad idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom