Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Warcraft Adventures Unreleased Beta - Actually got released!

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The fact that they had Thrall scared of a rat destroyed all the work they spent in drawing a bad-ass muscle-bound orc and voicing him with a tough guy.

Warcraft Adventures tells the tale of Thrall's youth. He was adopted by humans shortly after birth and was raised to be a sissy. He realized his potential of awesome and muscle-bulging asskickery only later in his career as warchief of the horde.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
WC3 pissed all over the established lore anyway. Warcraft Adventures couldn't possibly derpify the lore more than WC3 turnng the previously awesome and evil orcs into misunderstood noble savages.

How about getting a Shattered Hand weapon to trade at Zul'Jin's Pawnshop for a ogre-mage magic book?

daC9l.jpg

Alex

Arcane
Seriously? The guy found the game, made a series of youtube videos, but didn't release it? I mean, maybe it isn't even that much fun, but I really wanted to try it out.
WC3 pissed all over the established lore anyway. Warcraft Adventures couldn't possibly derpify the lore more than WC3 turnng the previously awesome and evil orcs into misunderstood noble savages.

How about getting a Shattered Hand weapon to trade at Zul'Jin's Pawnshop for a ogre-mage magic book?

daC9l.jpg

I really like how they have a lot of different polearm handles on the wall. It is a reference to the weapon list in older D&D editions, isn't it?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I really like how they have a lot of different polearm handles on the wall. It is a reference to the weapon list in older D&D editions, isn't it?
Nah, it's just Zul'jin's collection of Shattered Hand orcs "hands"... don't read much into this one bro.

Zul'jin stars in Pawn Stars: Azeroth!
Almost a Blizzard's Recettear...

I also like how they solved the fact he only has one arm by giving him a glove...

The fact that they had Thrall scared of a rat destroyed all the work they spent in drawing a bad-ass muscle-bound orc and voicing him with a tough guy.

He was never much of a badass. He was a peaceful wise shaman leaderguy for the most part. Hellscream was the badass.

Besides, rats carry disease and shit. Not something you want to get near.

It made sense in context. Orcs sell their soul for power, become half demon, invade. Blood power dies down, Orcs are still hostile but more docile and easily controlled by people like Thrall. As soon as demons show up most of the Orcs sell their soul for power once again, and it only ends once the head demon is killed. The only one playing the noble savage part is Thrall.

WC lore has always been shit, but consistency wasn't the problem. They had already established in WC2 and (especially) the WC2 expansion (largely set in the orc world before it gets destroyed) that the orcs were under demonic influence and weren't exactly running the show.

EruDaan

Arcane
WC lore has always been shit, but consistency wasn't the problem. They had already established in WC2 and (especially) the WC2 expansion (largely set in the orc world before it gets destroyed) that the orcs were under demonic influence and weren't exactly running the show.

As far as I can remember the handbook of WC2 only mentions Gul'dan as being in league with demons while the common orc is nothing but a warmongering beast. So in a sense the orcs were under demonic control. But not like in "our blood is tainted by demon blood" ( as WC3 established) but like in "our most powerful shaman is in league with demons and pulls the strings behind the scenes".
Interestingly the german version of WC3 came without almost any backround material. The WC3 story for me felt massivly detached from the one in WC2. It was almost like playing a game that was set in an alternative dimension of the warcraft world.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Shd've just been a Gears of War in Azeroth
Hell, I know a lot of people would relish at the thought of playing DW-style of Warcraft DotA instead.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Interestingly the german version of WC3 came without almost any backround material. The WC3 story for me felt massivly detached from the one in WC2. It was almost like playing a game that was set in an alternative dimension of the warcraft world.
Same in Brazil, I had absolutly no idea who Thrall was.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

As far as I can remember the handbook of WC2 only mentions Gul'dan as being in league with demons while the common orc is nothing but a warmongering beast. So in a sense the orcs were under demonic control. But not like in "our blood is tainted by demon blood" ( as WC3 established) but like in "our most powerful shaman is in league with demons and pulls the strings behind the scenes".

I don't know if it was the WC1 or WC2 manual I read but I do remember a vague mention about orcs being a more peaceful shamanistic race in the times of old.

EruDaan

Arcane

I don't know if it was the WC1 or WC2 manual I read but I do remember a vague mention about orcs being a more peaceful shamanistic race in the times of old.[/quote]

Must be in the WCI handbook. As far as I have reread the WCII handbook, Gul'dans monologue one only mentions how the orcish horde destroyed the dreanai and how he became the most powerful shaman / warlock of all the orcish clans. But let's be honest - warcrafts lore isn't the most consistent one. It's been rewritten and reconned so many times it's not funny anymore.

Eyeball

Arcane
Gul'Dan's monologue in WC2 manual was awesome. It tells exactly what the orcs should be in my book - cruel, savage tribal barbarians who delight in treachery and massacres. Then Blizzard decided they needed to make them more sympathetic and came up with the "demon blood" bullshit. Why is anybody's guess, but I guess they filled the "evil badmotherfucker sisterraper" faction role with the undead in WC3 at the cost of skullfucking their established lore.

The "orcs as shamans" thing was from the same monologue, by the way. The orcs traditionally relied upon shamans for guidance and sorcery, but Gul'Dan forged an alliance with the demon Kil'Jaeden and brought demonic magic to the orcish people, becoming the first warlock of his race.

I never understood why orcs and undead were allied in WoW anyway. From what I remember from playing for a month or so years ago, the undead actively work to destroy the living. Don't sound like very good bedfellows to me.

EruDaan

Arcane
Eyeball - the Forsaken formed after the WCIII Expansion with Blizzard trying desperately to paint Sylvanas and her cronies as some tragic figure or something that only wants a place in the world and maybe some revenge or some shit like that. Morally grey and all that. The reason (as I can remember) for an alliance between the Forsaken and the Horde is that Thrall needed allies on the same continent as the Alliance. Or some shit like that. Like many things regarding the WoW lore are shit...

And Forsaken trying to destro the living - if I remember correctly it's just some fucked up undead faction that tries to create the ultimate poison or something.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
And Forsaken trying to destro the living - if I remember correctly it's just some fucked up undead faction that tries to create the ultimate poison or something.

The creation of plague destroying both living and undead was done with Sylvanas's permission which was evident from the questlines of WoW before Cataclysm. The purpose of splinter faction was to overthrow Sylvanas, nothing more.

EruDaan

Arcane
The creation of plague destroying both living and undead was done with Sylvanas's permission which was evident from the questlines of WoW before Cataclysm. The purpose of splinter faction was to overthrow Sylvanas, nothing more.

Aha... yee, I never played WoW but read their forums back in the day for the lulz. Thats the only source of knowledge I ever got regarding WoW. And, to be honest, I can't get arsed to get my facts right. :D

Keshik

Arcane
Forgot what game I saw a trailer for this on long ago, always wanted to try it out. Doesn't seem that bad

Zeriel

Arcane

I don't know if it was the WC1 or WC2 manual I read but I do remember a vague mention about orcs being a more peaceful shamanistic race in the times of old.

There wasn't shit about the orcs being peaceful until WC3/fiction. 1 & 2 were straight-up Warhammer.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Logical consistency takes a back seat to expediency in WoW lore.

Drakron

Arcane
So, can this be acquired anywhere?

Nope, Blizzard sold the incomplete game and someone brought it, unless buy it from him its not going to happen.

Apparently it seems the game was in a near complete state but never released ... unlike Diablo III that was in a near complete state and was released.

So, can this be acquired anywhere?

Nope, Blizzard sold the incomplete game and someone brought it, unless buy it from him its not going to happen.

Apparently it seems the game was in a near complete state but never released ... unlike Diablo III that was in a near complete state and was released.

wow, that sucks. They should have just put it out there instead and let modders fix it (to completion lol)

From the videos it looks like it's still better (in it's unfinished state) than the garbage Blizz puts out these days.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
@ Manatee & Raw -- I think you guys are giving Blizzard to much credit. I was a huge Warcraft/Starcraft fan back in the day, but I'm pretty sure this is just a case of adventure game logic interfering with the plot. (Thrall doesn't seem very concerned about the skeleton in his room, for example.)

@ others -- I believe some of the Orcs-as-shamanistic stuff came from the Warcraft II Expansion (Beyond the Black Gate, wasn't it?). That was also the advent of heroes with super-heroic stats.

It's done in the expansion, not the original campaign. Actually most of the plot linking WC2 and WC3 occurs in the WC2 expansion - the focus on the death knights and the destruction of the orc planet (with the demons stuck on the orc planet and the remnants of the horde marooned on the human planet).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom