Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper clone

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Dungeon Keeper III was supossed to be about conquering the realm of humans, so overworld in the title made sense in that context.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I applaud the effort but so far it's nothing more than a completely soulless and inferior clone of a decade old game.

Will not back but will definitely buy if the final version turns out better than Dungeon Keeper 2 (lol).

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Be glad that they arent around anymore. Their games would only be mainstream versions of the classics

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I backed the shit out of it. They had a lot more to show than the average KS and their design philosophy was pretty much to be a carbon copy of Dungeon Keeper, more or less. That's all I want, and more than you usually get from Kickstarter, so naturally I backed.

I wish them the best. You can't really complain about anything in that pitch. It's crystal clear what they're doing not least because we know they are trying to clone DK2, which is fine by me when there is currently such a scarcity of such games. There's only one thing stopping any halfway decent designer from remaking a game like Dungeon Keeper 2: pride. The design is already there. It has already been proven to work. It's extremely popular, and there's no one else doing it. If people could get past the idea that their own foolish and arrogant little modifications and additions to the formula are simply not as good as the original formula, they'd be almost certain to succeed. Most designers - beginners and veterans alike - fail at knowing how to balance the proven formula with the necessary amount of changes to improve the formula and give them a point of difference. Most designers are so quick to assume they can do better and can change a tried formula and improve it, and it's because they're too proud and lack the necessary respect for the work of predecessors.

Back to this project, and they didn't handle the campaign very effectively. They didn't get enough hype going (I didn't hear about this until weeks after it started and I always said I'd be very interested to see a Dungeon Keeper kickstarter), and there's hardly any mentions of it elsewhere. Also as much as it pains me to say it, the fact that they gave all the information right from the beginning meant they couldn't foster a growing interest by slowly dealing out information, PE-style.

Very interested to see how it turns out. Shame they had no background to draw upon.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
More like War for the Overlord :smug:

£182,369 and 30 hours to go, so the project is funded even now.

I hope they will work on AI and difficulty, beyond the ending levels the computer behaved really listless.
You can kill time in DK Online http://dk.91.com/ waiting for this one .

I just want to know if you can get the dominatrix in this.

QGgtF.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I backed the shit out of it. They had a lot more to show than the average KS and their design philosophy was pretty much to be a carbon copy of Dungeon Keeper, more or less. That's all I want, and more than you usually get from Kickstarter, so naturally I backed.

You are to kickstarter what morgoth is to AAA releases. ;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I'm not sure I would mind the title, but am I, though? I backed the following projects:

Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Thorvalla, Legends of Eisenwald, Xenonauts, Dead State, Ars Magica, War for the Overworld. I didn't donate more than 20$ max per project since I'm a poor student.

All of those projects seemed worthy and trustworthy to me, save perhaps Thorvalla, but I was going to wait until the end to withdraw my pledge.

GG Rex

Educated
More like War for the Overlord :smug:

£182,369 and 30 hours to go, so the project is funded even now.

I hope they will work on AI and difficulty, beyond the ending levels the computer behaved really listless.
You can kill time in DK Online http://dk.91.com/ waiting for this one .

I just want to know if you can get the dominatrix in this.

QGgtF.jpg
What if I dont speak chinese

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I tried MP in DK2, its ok but the mechanics aren't the best for that sort of thing.

Borelli

Arcane
Wow they even got Peter Molyneux to say "I'm Peter Molyneux and i approve of this message".
Will definitely help with their funding.

Captain Shrek

I'm not sure I would mind the title, but am I, though? I backed the following projects:

Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Thorvalla, Legends of Eisenwald, Xenonauts, Dead State, Ars Magica, War for the Overworld. I didn't donate more than 20$ max per project since I'm a poor student.

All of those projects seemed worthy and trustworthy to me, save perhaps Thorvalla, but I was going to wait until the end to withdraw my pledge.

Good choices. I did not back Thorvalla, Ars and War of overworld. But went for Planetary Annihilation, Expeditions: Conquistadors, Dead State,.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom