Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Want a refund for Simcity? Your account may be at risk!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
EA
Elizabeth and Abraham

THEY KILLED ULTIMA
THEY MURDERED IT

NEVER FORGIVE NEVER FORGET

An RPG fan's memory is long indeed...

Emily

Arcane
Yeah, I saw this yesterday complete with the log from the chat. EA man...

I remember when EA came out as pro-gay marriage and all these people I knew were like I LOVE EA! HEART EA! EA IS THE BEST!

...I felt like I was in another world where a company can buy an indulgence (being pro gay marriage) and people instantly forget that EA is still a really horrible company to its customers.

I wonder indulgence EA will 'purchase' next to get people to love them again in light of this Sim City mess.
i dont understand, what does gay marriage have to do with making fucking video games?
Why should anyone care are they progay or not. I certainly do not.
What i do care is about their product which is abysmal

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In other shocking news: Professional, objective gaming journalists' take on the game:

K4TOuML.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Decline of Sweden and Cleve Bunker

mm3.png

Dead Guy

Cipher
Man this is some delicious shit. The metacritic score is even lower now, sitting at 79 / 1.6.

They're still 0.2 points above the user score for The War Z though, so it's not that bad.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, I saw this yesterday complete with the log from the chat. EA man...

I remember when EA came out as pro-gay marriage and all these people I knew were like I LOVE EA! HEART EA! EA IS THE BEST!

...I felt like I was in another world where a company can buy an indulgence (being pro gay marriage) and people instantly forget that EA is still a really horrible company to its customers.

I wonder indulgence EA will 'purchase' next to get people to love them again in light of this Sim City mess.
i dont understand, what does gay marriage have to do with making fucking video games?
Why should anyone care are they progay or not. I certainly do not.
What i do care is about their product which is abysmal

Meh, it has nothing to do with video games, it's just how EA treats its customers like crap, but then will issue a press statement for zero dollars, people love them and post to Facebook how great EA is. It's like an abusive relationship where EA. promises not to hit you anymore. Now with Sim City, EA has hit you again, I'm waiting for the next empty statement from EA where they promise to treat you right baby.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'm feeling somewhat smug right now since my friends who bought this turd despite my warnings about the DRM are suffering exactly* like I said they would :smug:

*They're actually suffering a fair bit more, I never imagined it would be this bad.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The 'best' kind of DRM is the treacherous one you don't notice until you want to sell/installonanothercomputer until 7 years later.

tiagocc0

Arcane
thank god some games are being released drm free nowadays
I remember those old days when I had to get the game manual everytime I wanted to play just to find the 'random' password
it was already bad but those last 15 years gave them time to really 'improve' it to another level

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm actually more amazed that many of those that raeg against the DRM actually still like the dumbing down of the game. Seems that the mainstream hasn't hit bottom yet.

As if Origin alone wasn't a reason enough not to touch anything published by EA. Horrid DRM that defiles the name of a once great company

:killit:

As if their name hasn't been defiled already over the last 10-15 years!

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Why would you ever threaten a charge-back and not just do it? It's like telling someone you are going to murder them in their sleep. Why would you let them know about it if you actually plan on doing it?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I'm actually more amazed that many of those that raeg against the DRM actually still like the dumbing down of the game. Seems that the mainstream hasn't hit bottom yet.

As if Origin alone wasn't a reason enough not to touch anything published by EA. Horrid DRM that defiles the name of a once great company

Without playing the game, I'm not sure it has been completely dumbed down.

Here me out before you flip out.

Apparently everything is modeled now as opposed to random dice rolls based on current values of various city values.

At least according to what I've read, which admittedly could be a lie, quell surprise I know.

For example, a sim might lose his job, be unable to find one and will turn to crime.
Hospitals don't just treat 13.3% of the population, instead if a sim gets sick, they actually go to the hospital.
Those are just two of the examples I've read. From a programming point of view, that's way more complicated.

This is also their justification or the smaller cities.

Also, I don't claim to think this better, I'm just pointing out that if those examples are true, the game is actually more complicated than previous versions, at least in some areas.

Unless you are just talking about reduced mouse clicks by rolling roads, pipes, and power lines in together?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Without playing the game, I'm not sure it has been completely dumbed down.

Here me out before you flip out.

Apparently everything is modeled now as opposed to random dice rolls based on current values of various city values.

At least according to what I've read, which admittedly could be a lie, quell surprise I know.

For example, a sim might lose his job, be unable to find one and will turn to crime.
Hospitals don't just treat 13.3% of the population, instead if a sim gets sick, they actually go to the hospital.
Those are just two of the examples I've read. From a programming point of view, that's way more complicated.

This is also their justification or the smaller cities.

Also, I don't claim to think this better, I'm just pointing out that if those examples are true, the game is actually more complicated than previous versions, at least in some areas.

Unless you are just talking about reduced mouse clicks by rolling roads, pipes, and power lines in together?

Well the zoning, amenities and scale certainly are much more limited. interaction between areas, terraforming are out too. Making individual sims have more 'personality' in exchange for having tiny maps in a CITY BUILDING SIM certainly seems hardly a benefit. It would be like making a Eastern Front wargame and having all the resources poured into making an individual Panzer crew AI having the need to take a dump in the woods or a cigarette between battles while having no resources left to make the rest, cutting the war in the East to a dozen or so combatants.

Even this 'AI' I find a bit dubious as a claim as it's hard to say whether the sim in question really does turn to crime for example as a result of complex factors as EA says or if it's just a trigger based on global values like in past games.I remember Radiant AI also being claimed to be the dogs bollocks.

Regardless it seems a waste of time as there's no real difference given the scale of the game between abstractly modelling random sims going to the hospital and finding that they cannot be treated as in past games compared to trying to model each sims' individual biological and social needs. Who really follows individual characters in such games anyway? Yes there's the Sims tie in crap, but that was even in Sim 4.

And if you're being snide about 'reduced mouse clicks' then why not stop there? Why have mouse clicks at all? Would it not be better to have just one click to 'start' and the game plays itself? It's not about streamlining the interface which can be beneficial, but about cutting out actual development options in a City development game.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I didn't mean to sound snide, i meant to sound funny. I meant that they reduced the number of mouse clicks by combining game elements, the roads, pipes, and power lines.

I agree with you, I wasn't saying this is better, anyone can tell this game as a whole is worse. I just think from a programming point of view modeling behaviors and the decision network for several thousand sims is cool.

I would RATHER have sim city 5 where I can have 5 million sims though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom