Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

W40K: Final Liberation

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tried getting this old gem working on my win xp pc. Alas to no afail. Anybody actually manages to run this game? It seems from this thread that the video's kill it.

http://forums.relicnews.com/archive/index.php/t-22326.html

So I did what they recommended. Built an epic.ini in the main dir with these command lines.

[Options]
MusicVol=100
FX_Volume=127
MV_Volume=127
UseGrid=0
DoVideo=0
WatchAI=1
AutoSave=1

Also tried running it with the -wincursor command extension and win95 compatibility. Still, doesn't work. So, does anyone actually gets it past the ssi logo?

MetalCraze

Arcane
hmm... probably the solution is similar to the solution for System Shock 2?

if you remember the game wouldn't run because of videos - but that bug can be easily bypassed by not letting f.e. ffdshow to render SS2 videos.

if you use ffdshow of course (if you use k-lite codec pack - it means you also use ffdshow)
but the thing is if Final Liberation contains videos in usual formats and not in the super-encoded unique format - ffdshow will render it. and that may cause problems.

if you indeed use ffdshow - try accessing it's control panel - and there somewhere (I don't remember where exactly) is a list of programs ffdshow will ignore - try writing there the name of game's *.exe. both in lower and upper cases.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Thanks, but to my best knowledge I'm not using ffdshow. Never even heard of it to be honest. I'm not that hot with codecs. Just got divx and windows media player for music and video's.

MetalCraze

Arcane
well if it's the problem with videos it's most likely a problem with codecs. it's not only a ffdshow's problem - because any new codec installed on your system may try to render those definitely old videos and cause a crash.

also try deleting your videocard drivers and try to run the game again - if it will still crash at videos then it's the codec's fault most likely.
I know that it will bring you into the 60hz software-rendering stone age era - but that's how I solve most problems with old 2D games in winXP... oh and btw - can this game work in dos? if yes - then try dosbox as well.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Thanks, for the suggestions. I'm gonna strip my system down soon anyway, so I'll give it a try. The game is vintage win95 fare, but dosbox ain't working. Too bad. Again, thanks for the help.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
To check if you have the codec on XP: Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Hardware -> Audio Codecs / Video Codecs -> Properties -> Properties.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom