Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VOTE - Top Codex JRPG List - Using Scores - Closed

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I figured that a vote for Nier was a vote for the entire series. Puzzled how someone could consider the first game an RPG and the sequel not; other than various refinements they play the same. I'm not voting again. :M

Gastrick

Cipher
I figured that a vote for Nier was a vote for the entire series. Puzzled how someone could consider the first game an RPG and the sequel not; other than various refinements they play the same. I'm not voting again. :M
With games I didn't play, if someone said it was a JRPG and there are no signs that it isn't, then I include it in.

They are both on the list now regardless. You don't need to vote again anyway because I already know that you'd give it a 5, based on your post here.

Momock

Augur
Ys Origins and 1+2 were lumped together for some reason. Since I wanted to give a 5 to Origins and a 3 to 1+2, I had to compromise and put a 4, witch is unfair to Origins.

And maybe I missed it, but I didn't see Baiten Kaitos.

Anyway: has voted.

Reality

Learned
I was tempted to change every single of my 1 stars to 2 stars because this form includes multiple of my least favorite games of all time, including the almost blocked from memory, Nightmare of Druaga.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Instead of Sakura Wars 1 it would be better to put Sakura Wars 5 and Sakura Wars 2019 since those were actually localized. Maybe clarify that Warsong is Langrisser 1. Star Ocean and Mana Khemia are missing sequels. Actually there a lot of missing titles from Idea factory, Gust and NIS. Is Odin Sphere really seen as a RPG? To me is a sidecroller and Mercedes levels are more like a shump. Poison Pink/Eternal Poison should be there too.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Instead of Sakura Wars 1 it would be better to put Sakura Wars 5 and Sakura Wars 2019 since those were actually localized. Maybe clarify that Warsong is Langrisser 1. Star Ocean and Mana Khemia are missing sequels. Actually there a lot of missing titles from Idea factory, Gust and NIS. Is Odin Sphere really seen as a RPG? To me is a sidecroller and Mercedes levels are more like a shump. Poison Pink/Eternal Poison should be there too.
I want to nakadashi your avvy. That's all i had to say.

Most Etrian Odyssey games are missing from the list, for some reason.

Duraframe300

Arcane
There's a lot of titles with fan translations on the list and playing them is common.

So, no. SW 1 is perfectly fine, imo.

Sakura Wars 1 received a fan translation patch a couple years back and it was pretty good. You don't have to alt+tab between a gamefaqs page anymore. It's never been easier to emulate so I'd keep it on the list.

Gastrick

Cipher
I'll add in those later Sakura Wars games. Fan translations have to stay.

I didn't add the later Star Oceans originally because I knew that they sucked and were likely to place last along with Breath of Fire I and Pokemon Sun/Moon. Sure, I'll add them in, along with Mana Khemia 2 and Eternal Poison.

Odin Sphere will only be in the "full" category.

I'll assume this means: Neptunia Series, Moero Chronicle, Atelier Series, Nights of Azure, other Disgaia games, Labyrinth of Refrain. I'll add them in.

I'll add these in.

False edit: Added them and updated the OP.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I'll add in those later Sakura Wars games. Fan translations have to stay.

I didn't add the later Star Oceans originally because I knew that they sucked and were likely to place last along with Breath of Fire I and Pokemon Sun/Moon. Sure, I'll add them in, along with Mana Khemia 2 and Eternal Poison.

Odin Sphere will only be in the "full" category.

I'll assume this means: Neptunia Series, Moero Chronicle, Atelier Series, Nights of Azure, other Disgaia games, Labyrinth of Refrain. I'll add them in.

I'll add these in.

False edit: Added them and updated the OP.
I'll try to think about games that i like that are not on the list or are in my backlog, so we don't spam the thread each time a game is missing, at least in my case. Will post on the weekend.

Modron

Arcane
Etrian Odyssey games aren't jrpgs, they are blobbers.
Early Final Fantasy games, all Dragon Quest games, and all traditional JRPGs have phased based combat lifted straight out of Wizardry. Are we going to exclude them as well?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Early Final Fantasy games, all Dragon Quest games, and all traditional JRPGs have phased based combat lifted straight out of Wizardry. Are we going to exclude them as well?
Combat is one part of the equation jrpg's lifted from the west.
Etrian series are a blobber because they have a nonexistent focus on story and the only form of exploration is dungeons.

Even early stuff like dq and ff have the typical console style rpg elements that etrian only has in combat.

Alex

Arcane
No, but none of these have blobber exploration. You could remove the first Phantasy Star, though.

Edit:

To be clear, I consider "jrpg combat" to be similar but not equal to early blobbers like Wizardry. Like Wizardry, you have turns where each character acts, usually according to some initiative. Unlike Wizardry and most blobbers, positioning matters little or not at all (Wizardry for instance won't allow a character on the back row to attack with a melee weapon). Instead, most of the gameplay in these games come from having interesting abilities/weapons/items to use during combat. Frequently, the smart use of status effects and boosts are what make them fun to play.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
But before we vote, we must first define: what is a jrpg?
Any game made in Japan that has you playing a role.
My new favorite Jrpg:
cy1sNDAwLmpwZw

You play the role of a Yakuza,even has a level up system.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The only thing that Dark Souls and JRPGs have in common are the respawning enemies. And many JRPGs don't even have those.

Yosharian

Arcane
Why is Dark Souls up here but not Elden Ring?

I voted, anyway. Haven't played most of these games though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom