Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Vote for Codex's best (space)4x

Which is the best space 4x out there?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
From your list, Endless Space. Looking forward to the 2nd one with actual shootan included.

From all 4X games, MoO3 with a few graphics and diplomacy mods. There, I said it. Let the :butthurt: commence.

Also: You have Star Wars Rebellion but not the far superiour and more modern Empire at War? Dafuq?

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Voted for the original Master of Orion, although it seems the sequel will win. No space 4x strategy in the last two decades approaches the quality of these two games.

tindrli

Arcane
id say its difficult to objectively order them wich one is better from other since BOTF while its a great game that i still play from time to time is very simple compared to many others but i still think that space empire IV & V are best of the genre and stellaris, well maybe in a year or two but franky i dubt that some elements that other 4x have will never exist in it
so here it goes IMHO
-Space Empires IV & V
-MoO 2
-Imperium Galactica 2
-Distant worlds
-Star Ruler 2
-Star Trek BotF

kyrub

Augur
At times, I try to imagine what Master of Orion I could have become with a better AI and a deeper diplomatic system.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
The X saga (x3: Terran Conflict f.e) are the truest 4x experience. All those games in the poll follow the same Civilitation patron where you are already a power of some kind especially when we talk about a space theme background, those games feels more like countries simulators than 4x games (like f.e Freelancer).

Intrigued - tell me more. I have been looking for a decent Space 4X game and although I have lots of them - can't really get into any. I also have a decent collection of X games too.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
I have yet to find a space 4x that doesn't make me uninstall it after less than an hour and play MoO2 instead - MoO1 included.
Same with not-space 4x and Civ4.

;( ;( ;(

Dayyālu

Arcane
Why no love for SotS?

SotS for the combat and racial variation in hulls, FTL, and technology distributions. I never felt like every faction was headed for being a reskin of everyone else in the lategame, which is my usual issue with this sort of setup.

Not even on the list, because SotS is not a proper 4x game. You know, the combat is fun in SotS. We can't have that.

Of all the 4x I've played, I do agree that MoO2 is teh best, but for some weird reason SotS is my second-best. I mean:

+ Economy and trade are a skeleton (economy) or require too much micro (trade).
+ Diplo AI is schizo and bound by weird scripts. So you will have to kill them all.
+ The developers are a bunch of aggressive SJW asshats that got fucked by Paradox. Plus, too much in love with their shitty lore.

Yet, compared to the soulless slog that is Stellaris, fun tactical combat, a logistic system that is simple yet rewarding and a tech tree full of interesting toys is enough for me. Maybe Stellaris after three years of DLCs will be better, but in SotS the single moment when you get the Siege Driver and go full Holocaust on the freakin' space dolphins has been more fun than all the time I had on GalCiv2, Space Empires V or else.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll add SotS if someone explains what the name means.
I've nothing against a game I don't know, ffs.

Screw it, I found it. Added Sword of the Stars in the list.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
From your list, Endless Space. Looking forward to the 2nd one with actual shootan included.

From all 4X games, MoO3 with a few graphics and diplomacy mods. There, I said it. Let the :butthurt: commence.

Also: You have Star Wars Rebellion but not the far superiour and more modern Empire at War? Dafuq?
Added these two as well.
One thing I'm learning here (apart from the obvious MoO2 dominance) is that there are a LOT of 4x out there

Beowulf

Arcane
And there are few more coming this year (Stars in Shadow, Lords of Rigel, EL 2; possibly Predestination in some form, Stars Beyond Reach and Deep Space Settlement, but those 3 will most likely go for the 2017 release, if not even later).

Edit: Also Dawn of Andromeda, but given the developer/publisher history, I'd wait for some solid gameplay footage and reviews.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Added these two as well.
One thing I'm learning here (apart from the obvious MoO2 dominance) is that there are a LOT of 4x out there

Doesn't matter, the hivemind will keep voting for Moo2. It is a great game but for sheer scale and actually feeling like you're running an empire, not just a small cluster of stars, it can't compare to the sequel.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
MoO 2 is probably the better game, but MoO 1 is without doubt the better 4X.

2 has some of the worst colony management ever conceived (it's a micro hell with absolutely no strategic significance), a poorly designed UI (click on a star, click on a planet, click on the build queue, click on design), a worse research system than 1's awesome semi random approach, has an AI that rewards turtling, and features a tactical combat system that breaks completely in the late game.

On the other hand, they absolutely nailed the feel and atmosphere in a way that no other 4X has been able to. And it helps, of course, that the vast majority of 4X games are even worse than MoO 2 in terms of design.

Now I'm going to be mean and troll the codex a little bit: Skyrim is a good game, but it's a bad RPG. Age of Decadence is a great RPG, but at the same time is a rather terrible game. MoO 2 is a good game but, like most 4Xes, is a bad 4X. Ergo, a vote for MoO 2 is analogous to a vote for Bethesda. ;)

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
Are there any other 4x like MoM/MoO2/SMAC that are packed full of personality and style? I pretty much lost track of the genre aside from being a good sheeple and playing the latest Civ for a couple weeks every few years. Doesn't help that I have zero interest in grand strategy so that's a whole genre fork I've ignored.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I only have one vote, so MoO2.
If I had two, it would MoO2 and GalCiv2 (with expansions).

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Should I allow more than one? Nah fuck it, too late.
Also yeah I thought Sins is more of an RTS . I loved that game though truth be told

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Inb4 Rougey and Shillfinitron tell us how Sins of a Solar Empire is really a 4x because you can expand and exterminate, how Ass Effect 2 and 3 and System Shock 2 are RPGs and how Dear Esther is a deeply interesting strategy game. Because, you know, you have to pick a strategy with regards to which button to press first, W, A, S or D.

On the other hand, they absolutely nailed the feel and atmosphere in a way that no other 4X has been able to. And it helps, of course, that the vast majority of 4X games are even worse than MoO 2 in terms of design.
if alpha centauri does't qualify, i'd say that the only (sort of) 4x which had an actual, working, thick atmosphere was "deuteros", coming straight from "millennium 2.2". i like 4x for the numbers, but only in those two games i felt inside the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom