Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Vote for Codex's best (space)4x

Which is the best space 4x out there?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Armada 2526 Supernova is one of the better ones and Lost Empires: Immortals, while being very basic, is unmatched in scope.
MoO 2 is still my favorite with Endless Space being 2nd.
I fail to see why 4x should be limited to turn based and Distant Worlds is a 4x and Sins is not.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Sins of a Solar Empire is a subpar RTS trying to be a bad 4x game. Distant Worlds is a 4x because it actually is one.

Hmm, doesn't convince me. Distant Worlds is a deeper game, but Sins does everything a 4x has to do, just in sloooow real time. You have every right to think Sins is a bad 4x, but it is a 4x nonetheless.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
MoO 2 is still my favorite with Endless Space being 2nd.
Same.

Endless Space is underrated imo. It doesn't have the complexity of most others on this list (though deep complex mechanics is generally what i look for in the 4x genre) but i found Endless Space's simplicity and easy to learn mechanics a breath of fresh air, particularly having played GalCiv 2 and other paradox titles for a long time. I also enjoy the combat more in ES than Galciv 2 even though they are more or less the same. Highly recommend to anyone who hasn't played Endless Space to give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised. ES 2 should be out some time at the end of this year.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Yes, it's underrated. To add to your points: The tech tree is much more interesting than GalCivs +2% phasor damage and it has large skill trees for heroes (really making a big difference). As far as I know no other 4x has that feature.
While combat isn't the holy grail of joy, it's still better than what most other 4x bring to the table and it's skippable.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Birth of the Fed is my favourite, but I know enough about it to never call it the best. It's a nice simple and fun little game to play every so often, but the amount of clicking in it makes me feel bad for my mouse.

MoO2 is still my favorite.

Also The Last Federation

Every single time someone mention that game I instantly think of Birth of Federation, which I hope will get to GoG during my lifetime.

http://www.armadafleetcommand.com/get-files?cw_action=catview&scat=21&ssid=4

Hmm, doesn't convince me. Distant Worlds is a deeper game, but Sins does everything a 4x has to do, just in sloooow real time. You have every right to think Sins is a bad 4x, but it is a 4x nonetheless.
The only reason anybody thinks it's a 4x is because it takes a long time to play it, the maps are large, and the diplomacy system has more functions in it than "FRIEND" and "ENEMY". I mean if your definition is literally the meanings of the "four Xs" then Starcraft does everything a 4x needs to do as well. You explore the map with scouts (if you're good), you expand to new locations and exploit them to improve your economy, and you then exterminate the enemy.

The unit roster is one thing that should tell you it's just an RTS. In Sins (and Starcraft) you basically research better factories to bring your faction's more advanced units into the field, however in any other 4x your army (sometimes visibly) progresses through the eras as your empire's technology improves. It's like the difference between Homeworld and Sword Of The Stars. Empire management in Sins is pretty much non-existent, too.

Last edited:

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I can't deny you're having some kind of a point. Maybe let's call Sins a 4x RTS ?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I have yet to find a space 4x that doesn't make me uninstall it after less than an hour and play MoO2 instead - MoO1 included.

Installing MoO2, reading the manual and playing for half an hour made me play MoO1 again. Still haven't given MoO2 a real try, but at least now I won MoO on Impossible with all races.

Haven't played any of the other games, so I voted MoO by default.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
I tried to play MoO 1 again today, but I couldn't get past the first few turns. The early game in DG is way more engaging and plays better in general (few clicks, less micro, better UX, etc) and I think it has spoiled me :)

Unfortunately, the fact that diplomacy/espionage are currently missing, and the way some techs scale right now, makes DG's late game less appealing. That's why it's still a work in progress though ;)

Last edited:
You could level that same criticism at practically any 4X game.
That's true, except that it's not a criticism when you bring it up in other (4x) games where these things aren't a detriment. You can remove most of that stuff from Sins in the lobby without changing the experience significantly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom