Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video Games: a new book about video games history

xEnd3r

Novice
Someone of you may already know me. I'm the author of Through the Moongate: the story of Richard Garriott, Origin Systems Inc and Ultima.
This is the first book of my new series: Video Games: The People, Games, and Companies.
The first part (named Stage one) is about video game history from its origin to 1979. From the second book onward, a five-year period will be covered: 1980 to 1984, 1985 to 1989, and so on until 1999.
Stage One and Stage Two are already published in Italy. Right now I'm working on Stage Three.
If you know TTM, you know how I research and write my books: I like to let the protagonists talk about themselves and explain in their own words how it went. Video Games is very much like TTM, only less focused on Ultima. Anyway, CRPG are very important for me and I included the story from PLATO and early microcomputer RPG to MMORPG.

Like the TTM Kickstarter campaign, I managed to contact a well-known artist. His name is Paul Stinson and you should probably know him for his great Ultima II artwork or for the Wizard and the Princess, by Sierra On-Line. He has already created new artwork for my book and this campaign. I'm very excited and I hope you'll like this new book. For those who missed TTM Kickstarter, I'll add as an optional add-on the last few TTM KS edition books with a little discount (I need to free some space in my small warehouse). There's also my personal Akalabeth For Vectrex!

In addition to the book (it's the main reward, of course), in this Kickstarter you can get a copy of The Sumerian Game. It's a very early computer game designed in 1963, programmed in FORTRAN and stored on punched cards. It was a learning game to teach economics, math, and history but later was used as an inspiration to create Hamurabi and Santa Paravia. The latter is the very first city-building game with demographic interface and grandparent of modern-day games such as Sim City. The Sumerian Game sourcecode was lost but we managed to rebuild it from notes and text outputs (it was played on teletype terminals and print on paper). We reprogrammed it in Basic for Apple II and Commodore 64 and you can get it now :) It is no very fun but it's one of the earlier games ever and it's not lost anymore :)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer.

KS Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...f-the-birth-of-microcomputer-games?ref=egzzlh

Official Home Page of the book ( https://www.retro-game.it/video-games-the-people-games-and-companies/ ). You'll find all the information about the book and you will be able to download and read the preview chapter.

xEnd3r

Novice
Funded :) Last 35 hours :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom