Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VD's Gothic 3 impressions

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, I meant the quality of the actors, not of the language itself. Even if I might prefer the sound of the German language to the sound of the English one, that does not change the fact that the acting skill of the actor is the most important part of voice acting. For this reason I worked hard to get an English version of Thief 3, and am still looking for an English version of Bloodlines

Magistrator

Novice
Drakron said:
Its not a spoiler when its within the first 5 minutes of the game.
I don't know about 5 minutes, but yes, I know the Wikipedia-definition of a 'spoiler', but it's not objective. Personally, this kind of information I'd rather not see.

sabishii

Arbiter
Magistrator said:
Drakron said:
Its not a spoiler when its within the first 5 minutes of the game.
I don't know about 5 minutes, but yes, I know the Wikipedia-definition of a 'spoiler', but it's not objective. Personally, this kind of information I'd rather not see.
It's not a spoiler when it's within the first 5 minutes of the game.

Maia

Novice
Jasede said:
No, I meant the quality of the actors, not of the language itself. Even if I might prefer the sound of the German language to the sound of the English one, that does not change the fact that the acting skill of the actor is the most important part of voice acting. For this reason I worked hard to get an English version of Thief 3, and am still looking for an English version of Bloodlines

Then rejoyce! There is no German version of Bloodlines. The jewel-case CD version that can be be bought in German-speaking countries is wholly in English, apart from the very first start menu. I am currently playing through it and enjoying it very much. OTOH you need an 2.8 GH, 1+ GB RAM and a medium graphic card to enjoy it. On the plus side, it can be had for 5-10 Euro.

Amasius

Augur
Jasede said:
I worked hard to get an English version of Thief 3, and am still looking for an English version of Bloodlines
Get the 10-€-bargain-bin-version, it's a DVD and you can choose the preferred language. Yep, even the english one.

Fuck it , i'm going to get Gothic 3 after work instead of World of Warcraft. This may well have saved my secular non existant soul.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fuck Gothic 3, Bloodlines, here I come! 512 MB of RAM will do. Will give me more time to read between loading times.

Focus: Excellent choice, SLD.

Maia

Novice
Jasede said:
Fuck Gothic 3, Bloodlines, here I come! 512 MB of RAM will do. Will give me more time to read between loading times. .

No, it won't! You won't be able to use a lot of Disciplines, because the computer will stutter! And you'd have huge problems with mass combat scenes. And load times are long enough even with 1.5 GB RAM. I really didn't want to misle you like that, but for all the charm of Bloodlines, it is really very, very resource hungry and poorly optimized.

Inziladun

Magister
Maia said:
Jasede said:
Fuck Gothic 3, Bloodlines, here I come! 512 MB of RAM will do. Will give me more time to read between loading times. .

No, it won't! You won't be able to use a lot of Disciplines, because the computer will stutter! And you'd have huge problems with mass combat scenes. And load times are long enough even with 1.5 GB RAM. I really didn't want to misle you like that, but for all the charm of Bloodlines, it is really very, very resource hungry and poorly optimized.

Nonsense, my old machine could handle Bloodlines perfectly, with the exception of that wind effect in one of the last battles (people who've played will know what i'm talking about).

My specs were Pentium 4 2.6GHZ, FX5700(slightly OC'd) and 1gb low-grade RAM. Could handle it high settings, no noticeable performance decrease and minimal loading times. I'm sure if he has a decent brand of RAM it should be fine.

Texas Red

Whiner
Maia said:
Jasede said:

Yeah, the loading times are especially annoying. I remember counting it by the clock and it took about 10 minutes or even more.

And the game is quite boring if you arent playing one of those persuading clans.

suibhne

Erudite
Everyone else has been smart enough to ignore you so far.

I'm an idiot.

Excrément said:
VD is the more biased reviewer I ever seen.
If he review Gothic 3 based on his proper RPG principles (choices and consequences / dialogue/ storyline...) he will arrive to the same conclusion he had for Oblivion.

That it's a bad RPG? Sure, that's perfectly possible. Doesn't mean it won't be a far better game than Oblivion.

Fwiw, G2 had many more instances of multiple solutions and a much more flexible world than Oblivion. It remains to be seen whether that's also true in G3.

he just decided for marketing purposes to define this website as the anti-bethesda and the anti-oblivion place, so he decides to review video games in function of this philosophy and ot in function of their quality he pretends to defend.
Gothic 3 = potential competitor which can piss Bethesda off so Gothic 3 = Great Game (with great arguments like "I love the graphics!!" and "the combat are not that bad...")

You make my head hurt.

A. This isn't VD's site (tho he's probably the most active staff member right now, which can confuse a newbie like you).
B. This site isn't defined as "the anti-bethesda place".
C. This site doesn't "review video games in function of this [anti-Bethesda] philosophy".

Ex, this site has been around far longer than I, and I've been hanging out here (off and on) far longer than Oblivion has been on shelves. The earliest editorial content here predates Oblivion by maybe five years.

so Gothic 3 is only different from Oblivion because of the atmosphere of the game. but that's a question of taste, some can prefer the gritty graphics and the less childish G3 others prefer shiny graphics with the elderscrolls lore depth.

Oblivion didn't provide that. It handled lore very poorly and broke continuity with TES in serious ways. I personally love Oblivion's world design - it's the only thing about the game that I love, in fact - but that's your first clue that Bethesda decided to take a steaming dump all over TES lore: Cyrodiil is supposed to be a jungle/rain forest. :lol:

RPG Codex has the honoour to announce the beginning of the "Graphic Whores Contest 2006"
let's initiate to the rules :
shiny = bad, xbox kiddie graphics
gritty = art!

IRUNY

ok u win :arrow:

Seriously, VD's high praise was for the game's art, not graphics. If you don't understand the difference, go play in another thread.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jasede said:
post post post scriptum: VD, really? What are your detail settings?
No clue. I didn't have time to tweak anything. Installed the game, installed the patch, pressed play. The quality was very decent.

Excrement said:
VD is the more biased reviewer I ever seen.
If he review Gothic 3 based on his proper RPG principles (choices and consequences / dialogue/ storyline...) he will arrive to the same conclusion he had for Oblivion.
It's not a review, surely you understand that? These are early impressions, nothing more. Besides, I didn't review Oblivion based on the choices/dialogues/storyline criteria as it's a TES game (in other words, a series not known for any of the above). I reviewed Oblivion's features and I'll do the same with Gothic 3. So far, I like G3 a lot more.

...he just decided for marketing purposes to define this website as the anti-bethesda and the anti-oblivion place
For marketing purposes? I'm surprised that so many people can't get a simple fact: I didn't like Oblivion. I didn't like what I read about when it was in development, and I didn't like the final product. I explained why in many details. Yet some people are still trying to find the *real* reason. The other day I read on another forum that RPG Codex would have loved Oblivion if Bethesda didn't get the Fallout license. I mean, is it that hard to accept the fact that Oblivion had many flaws and overall was nothing but a fantasy shooter with overly linear quests that held your hand so tight they left marks?

Again, I explained my reasons many times; do they make no sense at all, while that "marketing purposes" crap does?

Gothic 3 = potential competitor which can piss Bethesda off so Gothic 3 = Great Game (with great arguments like "I love the graphics!!" and "the combat are not that bad...")
A few hours long impressions, moron, without any "great gaem! lol" conclusions.

As for the graphics and combat, here are some quotes from my Oblivion review:

"Oblivion's dungeons are somewhere in between, and overall, superbly done. They are well designed, very atmospheric, with levers, buttons, and secret doors, and everything else you might expect from a good dungeon."

"Now, let's take a look at the combat from the action point of view. Hmm, not bad. I can hit anything that my sword connects with, I can jump back and forth, I can cast spells without having to disarm, and I can block manually, holding my shield up, while advancing in a totally menacing way. A big step forward from the MW's system."

For the moment Gothic 3 looks to be an excellent action RPG with the specific atmosphere the gothic fans enjoyed but in terms of pure role-playing, sorry to say that, but all the people who played the game didn't show me the famous "consequences" we all want!
Being able to take sides in the conflict already places G3 above Oblivion in terms of role-playing.

Oblivion because of the atmosphere of the game.
No. See above.

but that's a question of taste, some can prefer the gritty graphics and the less childish G3 others prefer shiny graphics with the elderscrolls lore depth.
First, the lore was fucked and there was no depth to it in Oblivion. Second, it's not about who prefers what. It's about a game that was supposed to be dark and feature a demonic invasion, yet ended up looking like Disney's Bambi.

from the art point of view this game is a marvel
RPG Codex has the honoour to announce the beginning of the "Graphic Whores Contest 2006"
let's initiate to the rules :
shiny = bad, xbox kiddie graphics
gritty = art!
Art, moron, not graphics. For example, Fallout had great art that still stands out even today, even though its graphics have faded. MW had fantasic art, Oblivion looks generic and plain. Do I really have to explain that to you?

Maia

Novice
The Walkin' Dude said:
Yeah, the loading times are especially annoying. I remember counting it by the clock and it took about 10 minutes or even more.

And the game is quite boring if you arent playing one of those persuading clans.

Well, loading times are really improved with decent amount of RAM, but there is a _lot_ of loading. And you don't need to play a persuading clan to get good persuasion. Anyway, I am currently playing Bloodlines and I told about my current impression and tips how to get the most out of it here:

http://rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... c&start=25

Inziladun, you had 1GB RAM. That's feasible. 512 MB, like Jasede has, is going to be a disaster.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Maia said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

Well, loading times are really improved with decent amount of RAM, but there is a _lot_ of loading. And you don't need to play a persuading clan to get good persuasion. Anyway, I am currently playing Bloodlines and I told about my current impression and tips how to get the most out of it here:

http://rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... c&start=25

Inziladun, you had 1GB RAM. That's feasible. 512 MB, like Jasede has, is going to be a disaster.

I first played it with 512mb RAM, a 5700LE and a 1.5ghz Pentium 4. It was playable, though loading times were excruciating - particularly in those quests which required you to go to your apartment, leave, go across the street, into a building, leave, go back to your apartment, leave... OH DEAR GOD THE PAIN.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Mefi said:
VD - how is the combat exactly? Is it as twitchily clunky as previous Gothics?
Not in my opinion. It's fluid. You have 4 or 5 different attacks, I think, (using the two mouse buttons), which are very easy to use and combine.

How about the bugfest?
Haven't seen any yet, but I played only for a few hours.

Excrément

Arbiter
suibhne said:
Fwiw, G2 had many more instances of multiple solutions and a much more flexible world than Oblivion. It remains to be seen whether that's also true in G3.

sorry, I didn't noticein G2 (even if I did enjoy the game), I didn't play G3 yet.

suibhne said:
You make my head hurt.

A. This isn't VD's site (tho he's probably the most active staff member right now, which can confuse a newbie like you).
no kidding? I didn't notice also!!!! (even if I was a lurker for 2 years) I am such a dumbass! TEH ULTIMATE ARGUMENT : TEH POST COUNT!!!!
suibhne said:
no, but it has become since the fallout 3 license which piss a lot of people over here.
suibhne said:
C. This site doesn't "review video games in function of this [anti-Bethesda] philosophy".
read again the review.
suibhne said:
Ex, this site has been around far longer than I, and I've been hanging out here (off and on) far longer than Oblivion has been on shelves. The earliest editorial content here predates Oblivion by maybe five years.
me too and that's why I am now tired of the constant anti-bethesda bashing over there, it was fun at the beginning, now this place is besoming as dumb as the ESF.

Oblivion didn't provide that. It handled lore very poorly and broke continuity with TES in serious ways
The aim of my post wasn't to defend Oblivion flaws, I really don't care about Oblivion, even if I enjoy the game, it is to my mind charmless and repetitve

Seriously, VD's high praise was for the game's art, not graphics. If you don't understand the difference, go play in another thread.

graphics is the pejorative art and start with a "g" and not a "a".coool.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Art, moron, not graphics. For example, Fallout had great art that still stands out even today, even though its graphics have faded.

It has brilliant texture work, i just wished i could run it in a higher resolution.

But anyway, i'm sure i've said it before, but if you love the look of the game now, wait until you reach montera, i'm amazed at the place, very post war/apoc, a real shithole, and i love that sort of thing. I'm sure you could also use a few ideas from there in AoD as well. (no offense there, but i'm sure you understand what i mean)

fizzelopeguss said:
Vault Dweller said:
Art, moron, not graphics. For example, Fallout had great art that still stands out even today, even though its graphics have faded.

It has brilliant texture work, i just wished i could run it in a higher resolution.

But anyway, i'm sure i've said it before, but if you love the look of the game now, wait until you reach montera, i'm amazed at the place, very post war/apoc, a real shithole, and i love that sort of thing. I'm sure you could also use a few ideas from there in AoD as well. (no offense there, but i'm sure you understand what i mean)

Agreed, Montera looked amazing, and the atmosphere was brilliant. You really got the feel of this civilization recovering from war, struggling to get by, just beginning to recover when a nutter with a goatee came in and killed them all with fire rains and lightning bolts.

VenomByte

Scholar
A quick question since I've never played any of the Gothics before this:

Can I actually die in combat after a certain time/level, or am I roleplaying The Highlander with sweaty palms and dodgy balance, so I just keep on falling over and dropping my sword?

Ladonna

Arcane
The kids may cry, but I will ask this anyway.

Vince, what are your computers specs?

suibhne

Erudite
Excrément said:
suibhne said:

sorry, I didn't noticein G2 (even if I did enjoy the game), I didn't play G3 yet.

E.g., at the opening of G2 there are 3 ways to get into the first town (including one pretty tough, semi-secret way); with NotR there are 4, maybe 5. Oblivion didn't have even 3 discrete solutions to any quest that I saw, unless you count all the different Daedric artifacts you could give to Martin. :lol:

suibhne said:
no kidding? I didn't notice also!!!! (even if I was a lurker for 2 years) I am such a dumbass! TEH ULTIMATE ARGUMENT : TEH POST COUNT!!!!

Yeah, I shouldn't have called you a newb. You seem to have posted a lot in the year that I was gone, so mea culpa. Anyway, my point wasn't that you're new and therefore don't have a right to post; it's that you were truly ignorant. Which you still may be despite your 600-some posts. :P

suibhne said:
no, but it has become since the fallout 3 license which piss a lot of people over here.

I think Oblivion would have people just as exercised even if Beth didn't have the FO license.

suibhne said:
read again the review.

Er, you mean the Oblivion review? Or the Gothic "unofficial first-look impressions based on an hour or so of play" or w/e?

Find me a profeshunal review of G3 that doesn't mention Oblivion at some point, and you'll have a leg to stand on when you cry foul about Codexers comparing the two games.

suibhne said:
me too and that's why I am now tired of the constant anti-bethesda bashing over there, it was fun at the beginning, now this place is besoming as dumb as the ESF.

Oblivion is a symbol of how out-of-step the market has become with good RPG design. Combine this with the practically endless hilarity of Bethesda's own PR idiocy, and I'm not surprised a lot of people are still hung up on it.

graphics is the pejorative art and start with a "g" and not a "a".coool.

Not what I meant. Nothing wrong with praising graphics; it's just not what VD was saying, that's all. You were beating up on a straw man.

I disagree with VD about Oblivion's graphics. They were all wrong for TES lore, but I really loved exploring Oblivion's world and I think a lot of thought went into designing the look and feel of different areas within Cyrodiil; I really felt that each region was distinct, and that was pretty damn cool. For me, the game fell horribly flat in boring gameplay with no achievements or consequences, rather than lack of artistic atmosphere. At least with G1 and G2, tho, I got both a well-designed gameworld (with better-designed NPCs and enemies than in Oblivion) and a feeling of achievement and consequences, and I'm hoping G3 will provide the same experience once the dust settles.

VenomByte said:
A quick question since I've never played any of the Gothics before this:

Can I actually die in combat after a certain time/level, or am I roleplaying The Highlander with sweaty palms and dodgy balance, so I just keep on falling over and dropping my sword?

You die after the first in-game day or once you've reached level three.. one of those. First half an hour of play, either way.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Spacemoose - it's a pity you didn't begin with playing Gothic 1. It's the better of the first two games, and I suspect your impression of 2 would have been much improved had you started with 1. I'd recommend you give 1 a go anyway, the opening phase where you work your way up the Old Camp is magnificent, and the atmosphere is superb
(the Sleeper Camp was more atmospheric than anything in G2).

Grog

Educated
Something that's always bugged me about the Gothics is how you're always playing the same character, yet you start every game as a fairly weak shmuck with no equipment and little magic power. I can appreciate that it's easy to remove someone's equipment by saying they were robbed or something. Do they actually have a reasonable explanation this time for what happened to all your uber spells and 1337 combat skills between games?

Spacemoose said:
Wow, Spacemoose used to be one of my favorite web comics. I always wondered what happened to it. It seemed like it just stopped updating one day with no explanation. So is your forum name just an homage, or are you associated with it in some way?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom