Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller and Marsal: Designers vs Programmers Cage Match

Marsal

Arcane
And yet it is about the graphics. You've bitched about DS quite often and never about the mechanics. Your issues are: bad portraits, bad AI, bad animations, bad visuals, long development time.
What mechanics have been shown, bro? You finally recognize the problem? Except for one video, which was released quite recently, all we had the "pleasure" of seeing is some amateurish artwork and UI. Are you seriously telling me that pretty much every piece of "art" hasn't been laughably bad? From "dinosaur lady" to "crayon UI" it's all garbage. Post a single decent piece of DS artwork. Please. I fucking dare you. Can you even imagine how horrible the rest of it is, when what little they show to public is that bad?

Oh, and gameplay shown in that video is also embarrassingly bad both from design and technical perspective. Honestly, I'd be surprised they released that video at all, had I not seen the concept art. It's obvious their sense of good gameplay and aesthetics is way off. AoD is easily better in every way. Yeah, DS is that bad. :boom:

Let's go into double OT and settle this martyr complex you have going on. I've bitched (I'd call it giving high information value feedback, but bitching does have a nice ring to it) about AoD's mechanics, because you put couple of demos out. You have only yourself to thank. Here's how it went down and feel free to dig through my posting history (as if you need encouragement) to confirm. Seriously, you should be working for NSA, bro. You're wasting your talents making third rate RPGs. I'm on a roll!

I was pleasantly surprised at the combat demo and had some positive comments along with some suggestions. It was a solid foundation to build upon. As you kept putting out "improved" demos/betas/whatever it became more and more evident that you either have no idea what you're doing or that your concept of RPG is, in a word, dumb. Cue the "bitching".

Which part of the following is inaccurate/false/lie/slander/character assassination ("it's shit, but other games have done this too" is not a valid comeback):

Combat is static, repetitive and too random for a single character RPG (and I love RNG and think it adds greatly to games if used correctly).

Character system is too complicated for what it is (not complex, complicated). Synergies are "inelegant" (some kind of skill hierarchy, with cumulative improvement would be better).

Dialogue mini games are not engaging enough to be the main attraction, with binary checks and sudden death mode (yes, spitting in king's face in his court should be an instant death, failing a charisma check while trying to get paid more should maybe cost you only an arm... ok and a leg).

It feels like a big chunk of the game is missing (sneaking, exploration walking around, interaction bashing barrels). I can only assume your intention was to surgically cut out the "boring" parts, but instead you just took a chainsaw to the game and butchered it. Oops, context matters, bro.

You built your game around save/load functionality and use it as a crutch for failed design, when it should be only used as a convenience for the player.

You've surely noticed I mentioned your writing only in context of too much profanity/edginess (entirely subjective and not relevant). That's because I can't complain about the writing/characters/setting/quests. All is, if not great, at least better than most RPGs have to offer. I see no need to participate in the circlejerk that serves only to further steer you away from the real problems the game has (sup likaq), just to mask my "bitching".

And here you can see why we disagree. Even though you do have interesting and potentially engaging writing/characters/setting/quests, your game on the whole is just not good. I'd liken it to Alpha Protocol. Very interesting quest structure/C&C, high replayability, good ideas, original setting (for an RPG), decent writing, mediocre graphics, shit gameplay and character system, overall... good for what it is? And that's not good enough for a game that's supposed to be a "hardcore RPG". I don't accept a disjointed collection of game mechanics, when I had been promised an RPG.

Does that settle the whole bitching thing? Can you accept the criticism like man or are you a fish?

As for engines, not sure how far your understanding of engines goes, but what we've seen in Sui Generis KS is an engine with the most basic functionality. For example, if you were to get Unity, you'd be able to get to this stage within a few weeks, just to give you an idea. It would take at least a year to turn Unity into an RPG engine.

Now, again, the SG programmer deserves everyone's respect for making his own engine from scratch and achieving such stellar visuals. I think we all agree that when it comes to visuals, the engine is much better than any other engine, so I'm not criticizing what he did. I'm merely pointing out that we haven't seen the rest and the rest is the most important part. Even the last development update talks about the challenges of implementing dynamic stories but shows nothing but multilayer clothing on different characters.
This is getting a little repetitive... Let me change my approach.

Sure you could use Unity. There is a difference in using an engine/having access to source code/writing your own engine. Deciding to write your own engine is in most cases a stupid choice. However, if you take into account that he already wrote the engine and it seems to be a good engine, things change. You underestimate the overlap in skills between what he has and what he has yet to implement. Is it possible that he'll fuck it up? Sure, I'd even say it's probable. It'll probably end up like SR:R. Shit game, good engine. Mods will fix it and sequels should greatly expand and improve the game. And I think that's acceptable worst case scenario.

DS is going to have good writing, shit everything else. No mods will fix it, it will forever stay shit. Follow up games will have no base to be built upon. Everything will have to be scrapped.

It took InXile a year to show the first gameplay video. Why? Because you need to do a shitload of systems that form gameplay. Developing and integrating these systems together takes time. So, a year, with a decent size team working full time, and 3 mil budget.

Compare it to working with 3 people part-time on pure enthusiasm. Look at how long it took us to get to demo stage. I know you think that AoD is shit and all, but it takes many years, when you work part-time, to make a game like AoD. Or Dead State.
Bro, don't go there. If you can't make a prototype with a fully featured RPG engine in 3 years, WTF are you doing making a game at all? It either means that the engine is shit and/or that the people working on the game are shit. And you claim your engine is fine.

But, let's just go with your theory: lack of time. Working full time should quintuple the development speed? Let's make it sextuple, I'm feeling generous today. So if it takes 3 years to produce almost nothing working part time, the game will be completed... on Thursday? Math checks out! I guess you were right all along! My bad!

On the subject of AoD, you do know you wasted all that time switching engines, building a 3D world and prettifying the graphics? Not only wasted, but I actually think it works against your design philosophy (or at least the current state of AoD). Teleporting and environmental interaction would be way less of an issue if there was no world to want to explore and walk in. And I'm the graphics whore here...

One last time, the visual aspects of his engine are amazing. The guy did a fantastic job there, but I don't care about pretty games where you run around battling monsters. Until I see the rest, until I see the RPG aspects, especially those related to dynamic storytelling, his work, as impressive and praise-worthy as it is, doesn't have much value.
SG: "I must see everything!"
DS: "I don't need to see anything, some static is fine. Keep up the good work!"

The problem is you value bullshitting over technical expertise. Not surprising, but needless to say I disagree.

Because you need more than some editors, some scripts, some 'character manager' to make what he promised. I'm curious to see what he can do, which is why I check the updates, but it's not as easy as you think. Now, since you think that I'm dumb and can only do teleporting scripts, let me quote the developer himself
I don't think you're lots of things, but dumb isn't one of them. It's not really a question of what I think, there is quite a lot of evidence that you are far from dumb. I do think you are not qualified to judge everything and your opinion is invalid in same cases. I think you are aware by now that you're not as good designer as you thought you were all those years ago, but your life has taught you that hard work can make up for talent, so you doubled down and quit your job. (I'm just fucking with you.) And, of course, a hypocrite, who by deliberately twisting the logic and selectively skewing and/or omitting the facts, produces some "dumb shit" in written form. Almost forgot that last part.

[Seriously, although I enjoy "bitching" about AoD, I don't hate you or your game. Your persistence is admirable. Of course, so is Cleve's. If you want me to stop bitching at you, but ignoring me is tabu, just say the word, I'll never reply to you again.]

What's not as easy as YOU think is implementing all that stuff he did show. That is his "collateral" that offers a guarantee he has the skills to deliver other elements.

DS has no such thing. There is no design document, no evidence of 3 years of work. You could say that Mistsodas' careers are a guarantee, but what have they exactly accomplished? This is not a rhetorical question. I love VTM:B, a great game. Just finished Tremere playthrough. But Mitsoda was only a writer/voice actor(?) AFAIK. He did a great job, but he wasn't exactly a project lead. Apparently these days you can't trust the very best RPG writer to even play a TB RPG, let alone design one.

If a programmer shows his work in a form of an engine and says "this is what I can do, give me money to make my dream game", that's not relevant to making an RPG in your twisted logic.
Because it is design not engine that makes a good RPG. There is nothing twisted about this logic, but we've seen a number of really good looking games with poor mechanics, which made these games worthless.

In other words, I'm convinced that Madoc is a great programmer. I have no idea if he's a good designer because I haven't seen anything yet.

Why do you keep repeating "good graphics" as if it was synonymous with a good engine? A graphics engine is only a part of a game engine. You know this! You make games for a living. I'm all for quote battles and "augmenting" your arguments, but this is getting a little old, bro. Mix it up a bit!

You do realize that my point is that DS didn't show anything AT ALL. Something beats nothing. Why are you convinced Mitsoda is a good designer? Because he said so? What has he designed? Until design is implemented, it's just empty talk.

Why didn't a "designer" show a design document, as an example of his work? "I don't do engines and don't really have any gameplay to show you, but here's my 50 page awesome design document, here's all the characters and locations I've made in the 3 years slaving on my dream project. This is how combat works. These are the skills. Look at these awesome perks! Give me money to make my dream true!" Was there a DS design document floating around Kickstarter? I must have missed it.
I didn't pay much attention to Brian's KS updates, so I have no idea what he did show there and what he didn't, but I know that he made a LOT of detailed posts on the forums prior to KS, during the 3 years, explaining different mechanics in details. So, the info was definitely there.
Not everyone shares your thirst for digging through obscure forums, VD. So he blogged about his game? Who gives a shit! I'm not a DS scholar. There was never a cohesive vision expressed in a form of a design document, that would make me believe his talk was anything but empty. Let's stop pretending DS Kickstarter was anything but a quick cash grab. You feel obligated to defend your pals, but we both know the game was on its death bed when Kickstarter suddenly came crashing in with a defibrillator.

Ideas are a dime a dozen. Good design isn't, which is why the list of good RPGs is very short, while the list of forgettable RPGs grows with every year.
"Good" game design is not something you can conjure via mental acrobatics. It's a journey, not a destination :oops: You can't always predict how different mechanics interact. "Standing on the shoulders of giants" helps, but you need to iterate, tweaking and cutting features to approach your ideal design goal. The faster you iterate, faster you converge. Knowing your engine and being a capable programmer => very conductive to good design.

His heart seems to be set on an action RPG and he doesn't seem to like the traditional PnP mechanics (numbers and all).
So hardcore RPGs are the ones with numbers? Diablo 3, the most hardcore of them all! Just kidding, but that's how your arguments usually go (You criticize graphics, you graphics whore! Repeat 10x so it can sink in.).

I don't really see a problem with SG being an "action RPG" (I guess that's every RPG with RT combat?). I'd actually like to play a good action RPG, with decent exploration and non click-click-click combat for a change. After all, Dark Souls is a good game, if we disregard the whole porting to PC fiasco.

You omitted to answer what hardcore RPGs were made on Torque 3D, that you decided to use it? Just an oversight, I'm sure. A second chance!

When you license an engine, you get access to the source code. It takes time to learn the engine (at least a year in Torque's case), but eventually you'll learn it. Naturally, working with your own engine is better, but it will take a long time to get your engine to the stage that you need. I'm sure that eventually Madoc can get it there, but by doing KS he sort of forced his hand. Sure, he can delay the game, but he can't delay it for years and years are what he needs to make the rest as impressive as the visuals.
Depends on the licence. A year to learn Torque? So your team has complete mastery of your engine by now? Really? Maybe you should make them apply their skills to AoD? :boom:

What makes you think he needs years? How did you arrive to that conclusion? At least he already saved "a year" for learning the engine and he can iterate on the design faster than DS guys can.

I do enjoy your condescending comments about AoD, so keep 'em coming.
OMG! Me too! Did we just become best friends?!

And the best thing is I've got loads of them left! It really speaks volumes about the majesty of your creation, that I'd have so much ammo left after "bitching" for so long!

Indranys

Savant
:what:

Isn't this the right time to summon Wyrmlord and Hiver to join this hearty debate guys?
Surely their wisdoms are much needed here.
:M

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
gpsGjz.gif

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
One time, when I worked at a pre-school suddenly a dead bird fell out of a tree. It looked a lot like this, complete with the googly eyes and fucked up everything.

:dead:

Now, I don't know how other cultures handle this sort of thing but as a Swede when I grew up, finding dead animals was the next best damn thing after poking dead animals with sticks and carrying them around and throwing them at other kids (i.e. girls, since they tended to scream the loudest). So, working at a pre-school and having this invaluable life experience at hand, I was ready. I would scoop the dead bird off the ground and dispose of it in the nearest suitable trash bin that was out of all children's reach.

And I did.

True story.

MCA
@Marsal,

You are a moron.

:troll:

It is obvious that SG is going nowhere, that the project is a pipedream. The net is full of very similar pretty graphics renderers that never went anywhere. They will release a wobbly shallow action game, give you a basic level editor with a generic art pack and be done with it. Then the main guy who built the engine will be hired by a development company somewhere and live happily ever after while you are left with nothing.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I was one of the most popular substitutes, in no small part thanks to being a man with long hair. I was the fun uncle kind of guy but I absolutely sucked at workshop and I'm determined to improve because I've never felt more shit than *that* time. See there was this time when we were all just sitting inside, cuz it was raining, and we're just doing different stuff. Some kids are painting, others are playing with toys, and so on. One group of kids are making small boxes out of arcs of paper with my, I dunno, mentor (for lack of better word) showing them. She sees me and says "oh great, take over" and you know, she shows me how its done and it looks real goddamn easy and then she goes off with some other group and leaves me there. And the kids are all, hey Andy, help me with my box, help me with my box and I'm there alone and I don't know what the fuck. It was easily the worst time of my life because I tried making a box and the kids just fucking saw through it. That huge disappointment in their eyes, that their favorite substitute couldn't make a fucking simple paper box is forever burned into my brain. We ended up making necklaces instead because at least I can fucking tie two ends of a string together!

And that's why I drink.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom