Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller: Age of Decadence needs to sell 45,000 copies to be successful

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I told Vince years ago no one's gonna buy this game if the price tag is what it is. :lol:
I'm nobody and I just bought this game.

:mrpresident:

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Waiting until official 'release day' so I can get the shirt. I get a shirt, right? I mean, I don't want to have to say, "I waited 11 years for Age of Decadence and all I got was Age of Decadence."

Plus :d1p:

GloomFrost

Arcane
I'm nobody and I just bought this game.

:mrpresident:
So did I, so did a lot of people on Codex. Doesnt change anything. The price is still a bit steep for an an unknown indie game. (yeah I know its going to be awesome but most of the steam users dont)

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
So did I, so did a lot of people on Codex. Doesnt change anything. The price is still a bit steep for an an unknown indie game. (yeah I know its going to be awesome but most of the steam users dont)
Or maybe they will think that since it's 28 euro/30 USD it must be really good (especially after reading Steam reviews).

GloomFrost

Arcane
Or maybe they will think that since it's 28 euro/30 USD it must be really good (especially after reading Steam reviews).
Well they certainly will not think that graphics look nice (yes it is very important for a lot of gamers). Also compare it to the price to other similar indie titles like Shadowrun, Banner Saga, Dead state, Legend of grimrock etc. Oh and lets not forget about another Post Ap indie RPG called the Underrail ;)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah AoD is p. overpriced specially for our third world wallets but what can you do. I wonder if it will be on sale on christmas?

likaq

Arcane
Also compare it to the price to other similar indie titles like Shadowrun, Banner Saga, Dead state, Legend of grimrock etc. Oh and lets not forget about another Post Ap indie RPG called the Underrail ;)

Don't ever dare to compare AoD to shovelware like shadowrun, banner saga and grimrock.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Don't ever dare to compare AoD to shovelware like shadowrun, banner saga and grimrock.
OMG I m not comparing the quality of the games, I know that AOD is better then all of them put together but for people not familiar with AOD price could be a decisive factor and it could affect sales big time.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Well they certainly will not think that graphics look nice (yes it is very important for a lot of gamers). Also compare it to the price to other similar indie titles like Shadowrun, Banner Saga, Dead state, Legend of grimrock etc. Oh and lets not forget about another Post Ap indie RPG called the Underrail ;)
There is a demo which shows that graphics are irrelevant. If someone will bother to download it there will be a very good chance they will buy it. Happened to me, I also thought that a game with such old graphics probably won't be anything special - how wrong I was. And now I find graphics very pleasant and beautiful even.

I would be more concerned with this game not having localization (other than Russian). That will deter a significant number of customers (either kids or older gamers who would gladly play it otherwise).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The price may as well be 60E for how much replayability it has, but obviously you have to buy it in a first place to know that it has replayability.

AoD is really hard to sell to the uninitiated. Its a game that needs to be explained. I've been attempting to write a preview for gaming forum where I routinely do RPG previews, and so far I came up with nothing. Its not easy to keep reader's attention in a long piece that explains things properly, and short piece won't explain it nearly good enough.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I would be more concerned with this game not having localization (other than Russian). That will deter a significant number of customers (either kids or older gamers who would gladly play it otherwise).

Older gamers, which have the capacity to master AoD, can read in English. Kids nowadays would only touch this game by mistake, or if they were drunk or high on drugs*. The localization project is only good to get players involved and promoting the game in their own country, nothing more.

*Exactly, drunk and high kids.

SniperHF

Arcane
The price may as well be 60E for how much replayability it has, but obviously you have to buy it in a first place to know that it has replayability.

Obviously solution, 3 backgrounds included by default; The rest sold as DLC :lol:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Every Codexer just needs to write a Steam review once the final release happens. Apropos, do reviews reset once a game leaves EA?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
No, they get an "early access" tag.
Anthedon, you can always (fake) edit your review after it gets released and it won't have this tag any more.
Older gamers, which have the capacity to master AoD, can read in English.
Not in Poland and I assume that it's the same for many other countries. There is a difference between learning the system (which you don't need English for) and enjoying AoD complex story, characters and dialogues. As for kids, I've had in mind those above 14+ old. There are intelligent gamers among this demographic that would enjoy AoD if they had known English at a certain level.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Age of Decadence: The Definitive Version:
- with overhauled graphics more in tune with the third millennium
- rebalancing of game mechanics to feel like a badass in the lategame
- with new price tag inversely proportionate with the number of years in the making

Cadmus

Arcane
for the time VD has spent on this, it should cost 2000 EUR at least, Grimoire going on 15 000 EUR already.

covr

Prophet
Patron
So you should postpone release until 2017 - it can give you 10 000 sold copies per year. Think about possibilities, so much time to redesign combat, add some minigames.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom