Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview VATS slow motion may be the worst crime against video gaming

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

The French do not like Fallout 3. <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=45725">No Mutants Allowed have translated a bit from CanardPC's review</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>From what I've seen, Fallout 3 does not have any of the qualities of the previous episodes. But that was to be expected. However, it has none of the diffuse magic of the Elder Scrolls series. It feels like Bethesda made a break with this new title, a sad bend towards products multiplying "fan service", the dumb, goofy stuff that will make the client laugh, the "awsum roxxorz" elements and micro-gameplay to the detriment of world coherence and deeper mechanisms. To sum it all up, expect loads of shallow combat spoiled by VATS and slowmotion sequences as gore as pathetic, a terribly short main quest - a Spanish colleague has finished it in less than an afternoon, during his first playthrough - nice secondary quests, but which completely missed the intelligence and density of the series, the whole being flavored with failed occasions.
<br>
<br>
VATS slow motion may be the worst crime against video gaming since the invention of the auto-aim and checkpoint based save system.
<br>
I don't know what the people of Bethesda had in mind... Maybe they feared that the game would be too short and imposed a twenty seconds on us at each targeted shot to extend the gameplay length, maybe they really desire that we notice their face modeling with independent eye globes, maybe they simply suffer from blaring bad taste, from a love for Brotherhood of Steel they want to share at any price?
<br>
<br>
Either way, this "feature" that retarded teenagers and moronic fans of "self-confident but still crappy" violence will love (and even then, not beyond the 10 first minutes), guarantees that you will avoid using the targeted shot system at any price. It sucks, it's ugly, it's not funny, it's long et absolutely useless.
<br>
Worst of all, there's no way to skip it or deactivate it in the options. You will be then forced to endure these scenes not even worthy of Soldier of Fortune 3.</blockquote>
<br>
We should add them to the list of known anti-Fallout terrorists I guess. If you want, <a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/diaries_diary6-10.14.08.html">you can also read the beth-blog</a> which talks about why they choose DC as the setting.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Kristian</b>, <b>Brother None</b> and <b>Dandelion</b>!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Horrible review. Almost makes me want to buy 3 copies of FO3 on 1st days release simply out of spit. Almost. Expect the pathetic French (and, yes, I'm technically biologically French myself *puke*) to make me even consider buying another Bestheda product at full price.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Chefe

Erudite
I wouldn't exactly call that a review so much as I would call it a steaming pile of whiny bitch shit. Free game, all expenses paid vacation, work pay for the vacation, and yet he complains about there being rules, then decides to take it out on the product that sent him there in the first place.

If you want free speech then don't agree to the sell-out perks.

Spoiled brat.

Deleted member 7219

How long is the MQ anyway?

I think anything shorter than 15 hours is a bit of a rip-off. Most RPG MQs I've played recently have about 20 hours playtime... The Witcher, NWN2/MotB etc. Mass Effect and Jade Empire had about that length if you really squeezed absolutely everything out of the game. Of course I'm not expecting Bethesda to be able to compete with the likes of those, but I would have thought, with all the cash they have, they'd at least TRY to make the MQ lengthy.

Micmu

Magister
Fucking ungrateful asshole, after all the effort and money they've spent to impress the shit out of him (not enough overseas, apparently), he actually goes and describes exactly what was totally not seen on the gameplay videos.
Prick.
n the other hand, don't expect to be able to convince anybody that originally does not like you. NPC reactions are determined by your Karma and even a professional liar won't be able to convince someone who does not like him to become his partner. But have no fear: you can change your reputation just like you can switch clothes. You're too good to obtain what you wish? Steal, kill generic NPCs (those with no name) and here you are: the incarnation of evil! But don't worry: after three days, people forget about your deeds and you are forgiven.

Your karma is too low for a particular quest? Just kill bad guys and give water to hobos (it comes for free if you have your own house) and there you go: holier than saints. Where the first Fallout episodes where built around balancing your own desires and deciding what sacrifices you were ready to do in order to fulfil them, Bethesda sweeps this and allows you to switch styles at will. Nothing is important any more, everything becomes relative. Everything black. Everything white. No need for grey when redemption and condemnation are made so easy.
Lying French bastard. The game is much deeper than that! It is possible to become super evil by picking up other people's ("owned") forks and cups! You don't have to roalplay a murderous psycho!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It's not even new, paying favours to journalists so they give a good review to your new movie/song/car/whatever has been around for quite some time. Now I do not exactly understand what the guy means about it, might be better if I read the original, but I think he complains mostly about Bethesda trying to influence him by providing those favours. If that makes him a whiny bitch so be it.

Nakuratz

Novice
I wouldn't exactly call that a review so much as I would call it a steaming pile of whiny bitch shit. Free game, all expenses paid vacation, work pay for the vacation, and yet he complains about there being rules, then decides to take it out on the product that sent him there in the first place.

Is this ironic, or just stupid? I can't tell.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Nakuratz said:

It's the Codex, nothing is certain, anything goes.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Nakuratz said:

It's neither, it's chefe.

Nakuratz

Novice
What if it is both and none at the same time? Chefe is like another dimension.

Ooer, seems like i've accidentally trodden in some cosmic integrity. Consider my question retracted. In the spirit of maintaining the metaphysical balance, I'll replace it with an unhelpful offhand commant:

Fuck you!

Chefe

Erudite
Gragt said:
What if it is both and none at the same time? Chefe is like another dimension.

The punctuated equilibrium cannot yet sustain the vast intellect required for theorizing such postulate questions. For, rather, the premise of such gravitational molecularity has achieved an almost singular state in which I respond to one formulating an abrupt and abrasive opinion towards the trans-dimensional computation quandary interactive entertainment device known as the third Fallout. Such questions are postulated at the expense of the reviewer who has been mentioned and known to be of northwestern European origin felt the need to accept the bribes of the American company known as Bethesda Softworks, a division of ZeniMax media. To retract my statement and call afoul of my methods is to deny the very existence of the multiverse and all coherent and intellectual thought and opinion within it. You see, the very balance hangs in the balance due to quasi-questionable circumstances by which laymen do not see the truth behind such accusations and instead stick to the status quo of being negligible to facts because it is, in fact, more popular to agree with the massive constituency of idiocy.

bethesda_pete_hines.jpg

Seboss

Liturgist
Gragt said:
It's not even new, paying favours to journalists so they give a good review to your new movie/song/car/whatever has been around for quite some time. Now I do not exactly understand what the guy means about it, might be better if I read the original, but I think he complains mostly about Bethesda trying to influence him by providing those favours. If that makes him a whiny bitch so be it.
No, he complains about the fact that Bethesda won't be sending review copies before release and that the 16 hour review session supervised by Bethesda with screenshots approval policy and shit is no way to review a game properly.
This is why his (p)review is not rated. They will give a rating after release, when they'll have the chance to play the game free of Bethesda's scrutiny.

Shannow

Waster of Time
DarkUnderlord said:
If it's Chefe, doesn't that mean it's both?
That means it is trying the first and achieving the second.
I'm sure VD lied in his Oblivion review while all the real journalists told the objective truth.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
VD lies no more than your average 'professional' reviewer does. ie. They state THEIR opinions. Not yours. Not mine. THEIRS.

Dumbasses.

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
VD lies no more than your average 'professional' reviewer does. ie. They state THEIR opinions. Not yours. Not mine. THEIRS.

Dumbasses.

I've missed you, Volourn. Where have you been?

Skankster

Novice
Volourn said:

Dumbasses.

Not quite correct. I have lost count of the amount of times where a reviewer says how brilliant a game is, gives it a 10/10 and a month or two later joins in on the dumping if many people actually think it sucks.

Not to join the chorus, but Oblivion is a poster child for this reaction. It is by far the game where the most flip-flops have been produced after the top scoring review.

xuerebx

Erudite
This was nearly as bad as the OXM 10/11 review. What a whinger.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
I think Chefe got mixed up with the alternate dimension Chefe, he was suprised to see Codex hypocritical and bitter.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Seboss said:
Gragt said:
No, he complains about the fact that Bethesda won't be sending review copies before release and that the 16 hour review session supervised by Bethesda with screenshots approval policy and shit is no way to review a game properly.
This is why his (p)review is not rated. They will give a rating after release, when they'll have the chance to play the game free of Bethesda's scrutiny.

Yeah I got that part, I''m just not exactly clear on what review conditions he did not like apart from the time and the supervision, if there are other elements to it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Skankster said:
Volourn said:

Dumbasses.

Not quite correct. I have lost count of the amount of times where a reviewer says how brilliant a game is, gives it a 10/10 and a month or two later joins in on the dumping if many people actually think it sucks.
Volly lives in his own world. And in that world there is only one ultimate truth: Volourn is always right. :honourblade:

Of course, you can react to him as much as you like, but don't expect a sensible discussion on the base of mere facts. Just in case you didn't know.

That said, good to see you're back, volly. You have been missed.

RainSong

Scholar
Volourn said:
They state THEIR opinions. Not yours. Not mine. THEIRS.

Dumbasses.

Some of them are sell out bitches and state developers opinion.

Silly you.

edit. and most of them are a bunch of hype gulping totally unprofessional dumfucks that can be called journalists without laughing only in gaming industry.

Pretty blond princess.

Texas Red

Whiner
I always thought that FPS gameplay as a genre is the biggest crime to gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom