Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vantage - surviving the wild... caveman-style!!

Red Russian

Scholar
Going ape-shit

It's like UnReal World except it's not. You have to survive in prehistoric times as a caveman. There's quite a lot of items to craft. I haven't played it much since whenever I start the game I see the trees appearing (slowly and erractic). It's not lagging or anything. It's almost as if the engine is having trouble loading all the models fast enough into the world.

Actually, it's more like Stranded 2 than UnReal World, come to think of it.

Phelot

Arcane
Sounds cool, though I almost wish they didn't go for first person. Anyways, thanks I enjoyed Unreal world so I'll check this out. I love me some massive skill lists!

Red Russian

Scholar
They've got quite a collection of skills, I must say. Also, the interface can be a bit clumsy at times. Granted, I haven't played his latest version yet so I'm not sure what has been fixed if anything.

MisterStone

Arcane
Sounds pretty cool, but...

SC25.png

Derek Larp

Cipher
Hmm... I just downloaded it and played it for a while. I didn´t like it.

It´s like an extremely inferior version of Wild with better graphics. Srsly, a livebar? That degrades when it is night and that fills up if you eat? That´s your whole survival mechanic? I was walking bare naked over a snow covered mountain and eating a few bananas straightened things out, jesus christ.

And hunting is like the worst thing ever. Hunting a bear should be a dangerous, daring enterprise for a caveman, and not like killing cattle with a high powered rifle.

But in all fairness, I didn´t play it very long. Maybe some cool stuff happens somewhere in the game.

Come to think of it, maybe I was mistaken. I expected a cool survival simulation in prehistoric times, and all I got was this crafting/hiking simulation.

Raapys

Arcane
Got bored as soon as I figured out how to do things. Nowhere near enough stuff to do, no real threats, nothing interesting in the world, etc. I am disappoint.

zeitgeist

Magister

Apart from Robinson's Requiem and Deus, were there ever any survival games that weren't absolutely horrible? It was an interesting genre with practically inherent complexity, and I can't even recall any major post-2000 titles, except the Lost in Blue series on the DS (which was rather silly). How did the genre die? Have the survival elements been absorbed into the first/third-person RPG genre blob and then discarded in the overall "streamlining" of said genre?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
zeitgeist said:
Apart from Robinson's Requiem and Deus, were there ever any survival games that weren't absolutely horrible?
Unreal World.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Wilderness. The 3D terrain engine must have been really impressive when it came out in ´86. And it even features 4-Color graphics! :D

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
laclongquan said:
Unreal World is still too easy. Fighting a wild animal should be a life and death situation, not a heavily injured one. And there's a bit too much stuffs to trade.
Say this to lynx or bear. If you are lightly or medium armored you are pretty much fucked. Typical bear encounter.

FUCK!!!! ITS BEAR!!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
Brave and stupid warrior attacks ferocious bear for 1 hit.
Ferocious bear shake hands with stupid warrior. Hand crushed.
Brave warrior misses.
Bear attacks, leg broken.
omnomnomnomnom

Certainly, if you are properly equipped and have good weapon skill, encounter with bear may be easier. But "easy"? No way.

Red Russian

Scholar
Problem was that once you have your first batch of dried meat it's all easy from there. Fighting animals isn't necessarily easier from there, but two of the major problems when trying to survive in the wild has already been solved. Food and Water. Keeping yourself warm in winter is the only problem I might actually still see provided you don't want to be nailed down next to a cabin-fire for 3 months. And in order to get those batches of meat/skins all you really need is a trap-fence.

Granted, the start of Unreal World is always the most difficult.

Still the best survival-game I've played.

drunkpriest said:

I particularly liked the idea of being able to setup sort of a base-camp and work from there as you explore the planet. Also, you can raise your own alien. Never have gotten it though but it sounds pretty hip.

Zeus

Cipher
Thanks for the heads up. I love survival sims. Regardless of how this thing plays, there's something cosy about your lifegiving campfire being rendered in 3D like that.

vantage-campfire.jpg

Reminds me of the campfire scenes from the original Pool of Radiance.

While searching for more on this game, I came across this:

http://www.human-age.com/

Man, check out the trustafarian in the tube top. Art design doesn't get much better than that!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom