Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong - narrative RPG from The Council devs - now on Steam

Berengar

Learned
I got this for some insane discount on Epic and still haven't got round to playing it lol. I'm not exaggerating when I say I forget it exists sometimes.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I’ve been told that Swansong is a more accurate presentation of the IP than Bloodlines. Given my personal experience with the tabletop, I concur. Coincidentally, the accurate atmosphere and tone is mall goth vomit that won’t attract the broader (but still niche) audience Paradox needs to be successful.

As has been pointed out in this thread before, the characters are assholes with no redeeming values. This can be entertaining if you portray them ironically (a la What We Do In The Shadows), but this script doesn’t do that. The monster hunters come across more sympathetic.

Not to mention the jank. The characters all look like mannequins on marionette strings when you’re supposed to connect with them emotionally.

The game requires you to read the in-game dictionary every other word. The IP loves to obscure even the most simple concepts behind layers of nonsensical jargon. Mitsoda at least knew enough to write around that. This shit makes H.P. Lovecraft, J.R.R. Tolkien, and J.K. Rowling look blunt and efficient.

You don’t need to be a marketing major to see there are problems.

agris

Arcane
Patron
In contract-speak that reads like:

“Our shit was so broken that we would be in breach of contract with our publisher if we released it now, so we’re going to back it up and patch it up so that we can still get paid for this turd”

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In contract-speak that reads like:

“Our shit was so broken that we would be in breach of contract with our publisher if we released it now, so we’re going to back it up and patch it up so that we can still get paid for this turd”
The game's been out for a year and has been patched multiple times, including one released a few weeks ago. I imagine it's some contract thing with Epic that's the "technical issue."

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
agris
FwLVxvaXoAIqj7k

FwLWGSbWIAEOWOh

Console and EGS people can play it right now with seemingly no problems.

Modron

Arcane
I imagine it's some contract thing with Epic that's the "technical issue."
Don't forget the old standard of didn't/plain forgot to hit the publish button(whatever) on steam early enough for valve to approve it by x date. Seen big and indie studios hit that speedbump.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I had no idea this received DLC at some point featuring one of the most beautiful canonical characters ever with Appearance 5.

va.jpg

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I had no idea this received DLC at some point featuring one of the most beautiful canonical characters ever with Appearance 5.

va.jpg
Day 1 DLC too, just to clarify for those who are annoyed by that type of thing.

I bought it today on steam (without the cashgrab DLC) cuz i'm a sucker for WoD (can you tell by my avatar?) and I liked the council a lot. So I am certainly target audience for this trash. This looks worse than the council but whatver.

One thing to note is at least they had the common sense to release it at a 40% discount on Steam (should be discounted even further, but fair enough)
It's been out for a year on epic so it would have been infuriating to see it released at full price or 10% off, which has happened so often in the past.

Longes

Augur
I bought it today on steam (without the cashgrab DLC) cuz i'm a sucker for WoD (can you tell by my avatar?) and I liked the council a lot. So I am certainly target audience for this trash.
I "obtained" it on the exact same basis back when it released, and the game is absolute shit. I don't know if they have fixed the numerous gamebreaking bugs by now (I sure hope so!) but even without the bugs, the game is just awful. It's lifeless and boring and the story is terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom