Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 Extended Gameplay Reveal

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Bloodlines is supposed to be about modern vampires, in the modern world.
The Devs really want this game to be A VAMPIRE GAME, so no Guns, you need to do stuff and do stuff that a Elder vampire would. I think that's super silly, vampires use Guns and weapons despite being super powerful beings , at end of the day , a shotgun blast to your face still a shotgun blast.
Did they never watch Near Dark? Hellsing? Nazi vampire Rip van Winkle has a gun that fires magic bullets!

A huge appeal of a contemporary setting is the presence of guns. Otherwise you might as well use another generic medieval fantasy setting

ArchAngel

Arcane
The Devs really want this game to be A VAMPIRE GAME, so no Guns, you need to do stuff and do stuff that a Elder vampire would. I think that's super silly, vampires use Guns and weapons despite being super powerful beings , at end of the day , a shotgun blast to your face still a shotgun blast.
Did they never watch Near Dark? Hellsing? Nazi vampire Rip van Winkle has a gun that fires magic bullets!

A huge appeal of a contemporary setting is the presence of guns. Otherwise you might as well use another generic medieval fantasy setting
Even in that setting they would be using melee weapons or bows. I could even live without guns but not having access to swords and shit is stupid.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
That's what made VTMB so interesting. It was a mixture of the mundane and the vampire mumbo jumbo. Some people took it seriously as a means to gain power (Nines and LaCroix), others went along with it (Strauss), some got caught up in crackpot theories (Skelter and Copper), and the one that knew the most didn't show his hand (Jack). But for the most part people were the same people they were when they "received the embrace" only now they were Vampires and they ran businesses, hung out, and carried on only with slight modifications to their former selves (except the Sabbat, but whatever.) Some had the same regional dialect from wherever they were from, but for the most part had the local dialect. LaCroix was in the French army, but he didn't speak with an outrageous French accent. Same with Jack, and others. E didn't start talking out his ass once he realized he was a vampire, and neither did whatshername his girlfriend. Julius didn't even lose his stutter, that poor slob!

What they didn't do? They didn't have video game names (Phyre, Ysabella, Willem), speak in a melodramatic manner ("You are called The Slayer" or "I am known as many things to many people"), and talk with a Transylvanian dialect just because their now a vampire. Is Phyre an Egyptian name? No. Then why the fuck... ah, I'll stop. This game is way too rooted in video game reality, not reality reality.

Note: You know, they could still pull something out along the lines of the original. Suppose the did dialog like this:
Guy: "How does anyone find anything in a mess like this?"
Research check (passed): "Perhaps to him this is an orderly chaos. Nosferatu trade in secrets. This is merely another way to hide them."
Research check (failed): Keeps her mouth shut.

*music plays*
Knowledge check (passed): I recognize this song from before we turned into a vampire!
Knowledge check (passed): Keeps her mouth shut.

Woman check (passed): "We may be near the end of our search" and "William knows something. We have to find him."
Woman check (failed): Keeps her mouth shut.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
the whole changing to 3rd person on every action is fucking annoying, its like they wanted to make doom eternal.

I was thinking "How could Arkane do this" but realized this isn't an Arkane game. Could've fucking fooled me.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I think devs should make new games with new IPs rather than cynically trying to cash-in on a brand name. This IP in particular is extremely generic anyway and liberally rips off prior works like Dracula, Conan, Sazan Eyes, Necroscope, Vampire Chronicles, etc. You could easily file off the serial numbers and avoid paying royalties to Paradox. Just look at how well WRF Studios did with its three Bloodlust games. The mechanics are fun, it just needs deeper storytelling.

0wca

Learned
I hate repating myself but what did the hopefuls think this game was going to be?

If you have a bowl made of shit and you fill it with more shit and then stick it into an oven, what are you gonna get?

A steaming bowl of shit.

But I guess the Twilight faggots are gonna call it chocolate cake regardless.

std::namespace

looks better than avowed or any obshitian shit, if you remove the nigger protag

i gotta give one to obshitian though - i have a really hard time to make a curse word pun with avowed... they really nailed it this time! i also dont know wtf it means

Mortmal

Arcane
Females and adjacents that are into Twilight and Interview with the Vampire will love this!
No they won't, girls want to be sexy blood(cock)sucking vixens and fuck chad dracula impersonators, not whatever this shit is.
Not enough to get women to buy this; there's a lot of money with that audience, and this game does not have the right formula. You are not completely wrong, but that's really not enough. They all want more complex and sophisticated games than this. If you want the formula, just have a look at Baldur's Gate 3. Lots of customization, deep storytelling with characters you care about. A turn-based system is also far superior to an action game, especially if they have children at home.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is peak modern game writing in here too:

PC: "Do you know anything about it?"
NPC: "No no no I just needed to keep my head down a few nights!"
PC [Intelligence 99, Wisdom 99, Perception 3000]: "HE'S HIDING SOMETHING!"

HOLY SHIT WHAT THE HECK THAT WAS UNEXPECTED! GEEZ, THIS WRITING IS GENIUS! I'D HAVE NEVER GUESSED HE'S HIDING SOMETHING, AND HE'S ACTING SO GREAT, A TRUE TRICKSTER!!! GAMING WRITERS COME TO GREAT LENGTHS TO DELIVER SCHEMES AND INTRIGUES!
10/10 - "A true masterpiece of our times" - IGN
10/10 - "Let us truly experience what it means to be a 100 year old vampire who wakes up from a coma with a modern hairstyle" - Cucktaku
10/10 - "This is what women and minorities struggle with" - RetardEra

Now with AWESOME CLICK-A-BUTTON AND FEED-KILL YOUR ENEMIES, OR CLICK-A-BUTTON AND PUSH THEM AWAY 20 METERS!!! SO AMAZINGLY MINDBLOWING PURE AWESOMNESS 11111111111111111/10

guy-singing-opera-opera.gif
sam-and-colby-open-mouth.gif
1707032554699.jpeg

This game is made for gaming journos!

Ryzer

Arcane
This is peak modern game writing in here too:

PC: "Do you know anything about it?"
NPC: "No no no I just needed to keep my head down a few nights!"
PC [Intelligence 99, Wisdom 99, Perception 3000]: "HE'S HIDING SOMETHING!"

HOLY SHIT WHAT THE HECK THAT WAS UNEXPECTED! GEEZ, THIS WRITING IS GENIUS! I'D HAVE NEVER GUESSED HE'S HIDING SOMETHING, AND HE'S ACTING SO GREAT, A TRUE TRICKSTER!!! GAMING WRITERS COME TO GREAT LENGTHS TO DELIVER SCHEMES AND INTRIGUES!
10/10 - "A true masterpiece of our times" - IGN
10/10 - "Let us truly experience what it means to be a 100 year old vampire who wakes up from a coma with a modern hairstyle" - Cucktaku
10/10 - "This is what women and minorities struggle with" - RetardEra

Now with AWESOME CLICK-A-BUTTON AND FEED-KILL YOUR ENEMIES,

guy-singing-opera-opera.gif
sam-and-colby-open-mouth.gif
View attachment 46290

This game is made for gaming journos!
The first bloodlines game already had that, you try too hard..

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
The first bloodlines game already had that, you try too hard..
The original game didn’t have Wisdom checks that revealed new information a la Planescape. It just had Persuade, Intimidate, and Seduce, plus Dominate or Dement if that was your class advantage.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The original game didn’t have Wisdom checks that revealed new information a la Planescape. It just had Persuade, Intimidate, and Seduce, plus Dominate or Dement if that was your class advantage.
Investigation was in fact used in a couple of spots to get more info if it was high enough.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
From the trailer it looks like we are in the RPG-should-be-like-CoD craze of the '00-'10s again.

Rarre

Educated
I shut it off about 1/3 in, it was boring.
Same here, never imagined the gameplay traiker of the sequel to one of my fav games got me bored after 3 minutes... I life waiting this game and we will have to wait for the 3rd hahaha

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom