Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 Dev Diary #1: Welcome to The Chinese Room

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Paradox Interactive; The Chinese Room; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...bloodlines-2/news/welcome-to-the-chinese-room

This is Studio Design Director Alex Skidmore from The Chinese Room; excited to finally be able to say this out loud. I'm writing today to introduce you to our studio, its history and, in the future, the people behind making Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2.

The Chinese Room is the award-winning studio focused on telling grounded, believable and rich stories - these are the traditions behind our ground-breaking games in our portfolio, like Dear Esther and the internationally acclaimed Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Over 100 talented game developers were all drawn here by a passion for the kind of storytelling we do. We also have a strong history of supporting diversity in our development team and our games.

In early 2020, we moved to our studio in sunny Brighton and built our award-winning mobile game Little Orpheus… a warmup for the ambitious titles ahead. Later the same year, the company moved to two narrative-focused projects, Still Wakes the Deep and V:tM - Bloodlines 2. Still Wakes the Deep builds on The Chinese Room’s heritage, and Bloodlines 2 is about looking to the future for our games, taking a big leap forward into the action role-playing genre while bringing our narrative expertise to bear.

Making Bloodlines 2
A look at TCR's portfolio shows believability is the basis for any of our game worlds, allowing greater immersion. Vampire: The Masquerade’s origins as a TTRPG and broad transmedia portfolio gave us this foundation of believability from the get-go. We love how it lets you express your monster in a world full of supernatural secrets. That just fits our style of storytelling. Bloodlines 2 asks us to believe that blood-sucking monsters could inhabit our world, that you are one of them and how would you deal with that world while navigating the darkness within. Bloodlines 2 is designed with a balance of roleplaying game and adventure story. A compelling and rich plot you’d expect from an adventure game, but with RPG agency allowing you to act out your vampire fantasy.

Throughout development, we’ve been regulars in Stockholm at World of Darkness HQ to discuss and align the opportunities for stories, characters, gameplay and crossovers that this IP gives us as creators and fans. We’re thrilled to bring World of Darkness off the page and character sheets and into an Action-RPG video game.

Feel Like a Vampire
While making decisions about Bloodlines 2, one constant reference is our first game pillar: “Feel like a Vampire”. Everything you do in this game should make you feel like a predator of the night.

In video games, we often get to be a mighty hero fighting against the darkness. Vampires, especially as playable characters, are underrepresented. We’re building the game around the experience of doing things only a Kindred can. With non-combat gameplay, we found early on we were doing the RPG tropes: find a keycard to open a door, turn on a generator to restore power to a lift. We put in a rule that the non-combat gameplay should be about something only a vampire could do; keep it aspirational.

When we were exploring combat, it started off playing like Dishonored (which we love), but that didn’t feel right for a vampire: players were very cautious and afraid of the enemies they encountered. To us, a Kindred should stalk its prey and strike fearlessly like a predator. We want to build an action experience where players feel confident, almost trolling the enemies with their disciplines. Testers use the phrase “playing with your food,” which we love and illustrates how we think a Vampire: The Masquerade ARPG should feel has come up in playthroughs.

Most action games offer a power fantasy; I like to call ours a confidence fantasy. When you have a supernatural edge and immortality to back you up, there should be a sense of “I know what is going on and, I can control this situation.” We want to give you the tools to do that in combat, conversations, or travelling across the city. When they come together, you should be immersed in the feeling of being a Vampire.

We have two more game pillars. “Visceral, Immersive Combat” and “Exploring the World of Darkness”. We’ll explore these in-depth later down the line.

We look forward to telling you more. Until then, good night!

Alex Skidmore, Studio Design Director

What’s next?

We’re all working hard to make this game amazing because we love Vampire: The Masquerade and the chance to tell impactful stories. We know you’ve been waiting a while, so we’re dedicated to honesty and keeping you informed. Together with Paradox, we will give you as much info about the game as we can without spoilers and always tell you when the next update will happen and what it will be about.

Our next Dev Diary will be about the “Narrative Themes and Atmosphere.” You will learn more about our Neo-Noir thriller story and how the World of Darkness threatens to spill over into the mortal world… In just two weeks!​

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Chinese Room is such a weird studio to have develop the sequel to Bloodlines. I still don't understand the decision.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Chinese Room is such a weird studio to have develop the sequel to Bloodlines. I still don't understand the decision.
They had the best pitch and Sumo Digital was willing to pay the cost of having their other studios support them.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, I think it's safe to say this is going to be a disaster. It would be a miracle if it turned out even mediocre.

aratuk

Cipher
:nocountryforshitposters:

Wow. Y'know, I tend to be an optimist, so… maybe they're better at executing what they do than they are at, uh, talking about it?

Vampires, especially as playable characters, are underrepresented. […] We put in a rule that the non-combat gameplay should be about something only a vampire could do; keep it aspirational.

It's surprising how awful they can make it sound, in a prepared statement they would have presumably had time to put thought into.

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
"Post-Hardsuit Labs Manifesto"

Give up your previous game, all the decaying mechanics,
This vessel of misery
Restructure your ego and filter the lines of your code
This obsolete frame starts to disintegrate now, conform to the current trend.
Choose the latest tools for improved content
You want it, you need it, don’t wait.

Let’s disgorge the poison of retrogression
And reconstruct your visuals remains

(chorus)
Embrace the product we’ve designed
Become a flawless RPG and behold your brain quite amplified.
Embrace the game we’ve designed
Become a flawless action-adventure, a modern delight to free your mind.

Vyvian

Educated
I worry it's going to try way too hard to touch on Bloodlines Member Berries and end up falling short which will drag the entire game down.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Easy when none else wanted this bum project
Paradox claims they heard a lot of pitches. You think developers don't want to get paid?

You think they would've learned after Hardsuit Lab fiasco

Good pitch =/= actual ability to make the pitch a reality

That being said what other independent studios these days has much portofolio for ARPG anyway? PB? Mars War Log guys?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I worry it's going to try way too hard to touch on Bloodlines Member Berries and end up falling short which will drag the entire game down.

They claim they're not going to be doing this.

"We don't want it to be just a sort of poor homage or pastiche of Bloodlines 1. We want it to be its own thing,"

You think they would've learned after Hardsuit Lab fiasco

Good pitch =/= actual ability to make the pitch a reality

This time the pitch didn't rely entirely on "We have Brian Mitsoda and Chris Avellone on board" doing all the heavy lifting.

Of course it may have also been "We're a BAFTA-award winning studio with Dan Pinchbeck"

That being said what other independent studios these days has much portofolio for ARPG anyway? PB? Mars War Log guys?
Neither of those are independent, PB is owned by Embracer, Spiders by Nacon. Of course TCR is owned by Sumo Digital so they're not independent either.

negator2vc

Scholar
That's one crap prepared statement!
But the worst offender especially in current year is
"Vampires, especially as playable characters, are underrepresented."
Yikes
Like the project didn't already had big problems!

Katerina

Novice
I was super hyped for this game when they announced it. But my excitement dipped a bit when the former dev said there wouldn't be a 3rd person perspective. I mean, I play FPS games now and then, but why? Seriously, why?

I'll probably still get it and give it a shot, but I'm not expecting much. The (other) Chinese Room games, don't inspire me much confidence. But I guess Paradox knows better. Right? ... Right?

Does anyone else wish Larian was behind this one?

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I was super hyped for this game when they announced it. But my excitement dipped a bit when the former dev said there wouldn't be a 3rd person perspective. I mean, I play FPS games now and then, but why? Seriously, why?
It increases the amount of animations required. It's my vague recollection that the third person mode came to be something Troika regretted due to the cost involved. Boyarsky/Cain didn't bother with it for The Outer Worlds.

Does anyone else wish Larian was behind this one?
Most people here have a great distaste for Larian writing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom