Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampire Survivors and other top-down arcade shooters (VS discussion now forbidden)

Beastro

Arcane
Christ alive, I wish this autistic obsession with having to see numbers everywhere would fucking stop dead. Can't people judge things anymore without having to have everything spelled out in front of them?

But, but, but.... the dopamine hits. :(

Elttharion

Learned
I am playing this right now:

Forgive me if it has already been posted but I played aprox 10 hours and the game is very good so far. The main gimmick is that you are a necromancer and you have to raise an army of undead and demonic minions with different skills to survive the enemy waves. Apart from that you also equip relics. cast limited use spells and set traps in the map. Another cool thing is that you can upgrade/unlock and customize, to a point, the enemies you will face. The ost is also really really good. Cant talk about the lore or dialogues or story since I dont care about them but the gameplay is really solid and there are tons of unlocks and classes.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked Vampire Survivors and played a clone or two, but at this point I've gotten tired of the formula and don't even add new clones to my Steam wishlist (and I wishlist anything remotely interesting).

It's been played out. There's not enough to this little subgenre to warrant 5000 clones that do the same thing, but different.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I liked Vampire Survivors and played a clone or two, but at this point I've gotten tired of the formula and don't even add new clones to my Steam wishlist (and I wishlist anything remotely interesting).

It's been played out. There's not enough to this little subgenre to warrant 5000 clones that do the same thing, but different.
Halls of Torment = VS with a Diablo 1 aesthetic and its harder than VS

Mauman

Learned
Damnit....bought VS recently, but didn't know it was affiliated with POS Sterling.

Now I feel dirty.

Why must people ruin things by shoving in their (really fucking bad) politics?

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
i also feel cheated. not only because the devs are troon pedophile enablers, but also because holocure exists, is free and a better game.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Huh, first I've heard of this -- so it's a gacha game without an option to pay for the in-game currency? Would be interesting to see more games adopt that model, because it sidesteps the predatory aspect of that model.

When you say the hololive people offered the dev money, do you mean to purchase the rights to it, or...?

Damnit....bought VS recently, but didn't know it was affiliated with POS Sterling.
That happened pretty late in the day, and I mean, it's a writing gig for a game where the writing is pretty much irrelevant. Jvegi is right though, it's unimportant. You can try to "sanetise" your purchases if you want, but there's much better things to be doing with one's short and finite life than worrying about what video game developers (or even, those vaguely adjacent to them) think.

deama

Prophet

biffthestiff

Educated
VS seems to have buckbroken the Codex. I've never seen so many people kvetch over a fun indie game that costs less than a latte.

Anyone reading this who's not a complete retard, play this game. I tried it last night and I'm glad I did. Simple but fun gameplay, addictive progression, no microtransactions (i.e. optimal gameplay loop design), weapon variety (within the limits of the game)...it's certainly the best memorable indie game I've played in a while.

"NooooOooo you're not having fun! It's not FUN! Your brain is just being TRICKED into thinking it's having fun by DOPAMINE HACKING!"

Seethe and dilate. What definition of "fun playing videogames" can you provide that rules out VS but not Zelda or Fallout 2? Am I supposed to pretend Peggle or Arkanoid aren't fun too?

Now I feel dirty.

Why must people ruin things by shoving in their (really fucking bad) politics?
There's no fucking politics in it. There's ZERO story in the game, ZERO dialog, ZERO trannies. I scrolled past 10 bestiary entries looking for offensive content before giving up, I'm not reading 150 entries just to find something that may be an obscure reference to troonsing. Just STFU and play the game or don't.

Christ alive, I wish this autistic obsession with having to see numbers everywhere would fucking stop dead. Can't people judge things anymore without having to have everything spelled out in front of them?

But, but, but.... the dopamine hits. :(
Just disable them in the Options, morons. After about 5 runs I disabled numbers and flashing VFX.
Numbers are useful at the beginning to learn how upgrades impact your damage output. It teaches you to prioritize specializing ASAP rather than spreading yourself over multiple mediocre weapons.

i also feel cheated. not only because the devs are troon pedophile enablers, but also because holocure exists, is free and a better game.
I tried Holocure because of you, and it's disappointing coming from VS. It's a competent clone, for sure, and I guess free is a better deal than $2. But better? I get the feeling this is a political stance.

1. It's way too easy to be considered better than VS. I did 2 runs and won the stages. I'm gonna drop this unless you tell me the game improves somehow.
2. Music is shit compared to VS
3. I just hate the theme. There is nothing more repulsive to me than vtubers. It's men pretending to be little anime girls for the benefit of other men with sexual dysfunction. I think I find them creepier than furries. If VS is for trannies, then VTubers are gigatrannies.

biffthestiff

Educated
Btw if anyone can recommend indie games like VS, let me know. I don't mean other games of this genre, I mean trend-setting indie games that are easily accessible and great for short bursts of gameplay. I never heard of this game before yesterday, and I tried like 10 really shitty indie games this year.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
1. It's way too easy to be considered better than VS. I did 2 runs and won the stages. I'm gonna drop this unless you tell me the game improves somehow.
you seem to be under the narcissistic delusion that i care what you are playing. consider washing your mouth with 12 gauge 00 buck to remedy this.

Gregz

Arcane

I'm in the same boat.

I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the genre, or if none of the clones have managed to capture the magic formula. It reminds me of the wave of Diablo clones that never surpassed the original.

biffthestiff

Educated
you seem to be under the narcissistic delusion that i care what you are playing. consider washing your mouth with 12 gauge 00 buck to remedy this.
Thanks for confirming that your claim Holocure was better than VS is not based on game quality, but perceived slights by a bit-part contractor for the VS team, and/or being a degenerate VTuber watcher, i.e. the lowest form of a man, possibly even below cucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom