Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampire: Redemption

nikpalj

Novice
i'm interested in the game... anybody remember this, I don't see it mentioned in the people's posts here... What are the general opinions - should I give it a try?

Can't run Bllodlines because of crap comp of mine...

Texas Red

Whiner
Eh, I tried it. It had some really crappy check point save system. After going through a dungeon I had extremely low health and it saved. A moment later I was ambushed by a group of swordsmen. I couldnt get out of that situation, the only way was to replay the whole game. Then I quit.

*shrugs*

hicksman

Liturgist
The original version of the game had checkpoints which were incredibly annoying, but they put out a patch that fixed that. Now you can save anywhere.

I liked the game, but walkin dude eludes to something that i didn't like about the game. It's relentless at times. There's just wave after wave of guys to kill and if you don't have your characters under control you can run out of heals and run out of health, and then you're doing a lot of saving and loading.

But, the game has some pretty nice graphics and there's a pretty cool skill system, so I would say it's at least worth a shot.

obediah

Erudite
If youl like gay sex, erh I mean vampires, you might like it okay. I hate that "We're just like you, but with pointy teeth, and better hairstylists, techno boop-boop, fear the charades" crap so much that I can't even get past the first level of bloodlines.

I actually got further in redemption because vampires in the olde world are somewhat more pallatable, even though the game was inferior.

obediah

Erudite
VenomByte said:
Shame. You're missing out on a pretty good RPG.

No kidding. I was getting along pretty well, but now I have to go talk to some uber hipster she-vampire that dresses like jailbat and runs a danceclub. I've played a lot of jrpgs, and I've never encountered anything that lame before. *shivers*, the whole thing just makes me want to go out and kill larpers. I guess I'm a vampireophobe.

fraunclein

Novice
I just tried it few weeks ago out of curiosity after having loads of fun with Bloodlines. Generally, it's straightforward Diabloesque hack & slash with cheesy plot & writing, cartoonish but pretty stylish art direction, party-based gameplay and a much better character creation system. Bored me to death, personally; uninstalled it pretty soon after leaving the first hub.

Data4

Arcane
obediah said:
VenomByte said:

No kidding. I was getting along pretty well, but now I have to go talk to some uber hipster she-vampire that dresses like jailbat and runs a danceclub. I've played a lot of jrpgs, and I've never encountered anything that lame before. *shivers*, the whole thing just makes me want to go out and kill larpers. I guess I'm a vampireophobe.

Ah, Jeanette... Yeah, it's campy as all get-out, but there's an interesting little twist between she and her sister, which I hope no one here spoils, should you decide to play some more. Plus, there's the Ocean House quest shortly after you talk to her for the first time, which is a nice little funhouse-style scarefest.

-D4

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
obediah said:
VenomByte said:

The whole Jeanette\Therese thing was quite interesting, I thought.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
As fraunclein wrote Redemption is rather hack'n'slashy - you fight a lot and dialogues are only as a moment to catch your breath (still the game is far from breath-taking :)). Story is railroaded and all quests have only one solution - fighting mobs. All 3 endings are branched from one dialogue at the end. The game is far from Troika-style RPG... You can easily abuse game mechanics - Agility-or-what's-it-called raises your chance to one-hit an enemy thus making Strength obsolete etc.

Drakron

Arcane
Redeption endings depend of humanity score and you dont affect it much in the "final dungeon".

But its true, its dungeon crawl ... still I am a sucker for love stories so ...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Redemption was absolutely horrible. Complete, and utter trash. BL was much, much, much better.

elander_

Arbiter
Vampire: Redemption was an action/adventure game, with an atrocious save system and party control, still it was a somewhat interesting game when we find ways to dodge the crap. It become more interesting when the game switched from medieval weapons o modern weapons.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Drakron said:
Redeption endings depend of humanity score and you dont affect it much in the "final dungeon".

I guess I got high humanity score 'coz I picked only the good answers... still I could choose all endings including the worst *cough* diablerie *cough* ending.

denizsi

Arcane
It become more interesting when the game switched from medieval weapons o modern weapons.

Exact opposite for me. Medieval period was fine and interesting to a degree. The whole game went deep into retardation when the period changed to modern day.

Party AI was retarded but it didn't show much with melee weapons in medieval Prague. With firearms however, they became an unforgiving burden.

I played the game once and without much regard to humanity score and I could see all three endings, only by answering differently at the end.

But its true, its dungeon crawl ... still I am a sucker for love stories so ...

It was a retarded love story without any characterizations or intrigues.

Christof's everlasting goodness in his attitude sickened me, though that was to be expected I guess, since he probably isn't a character particularly created for the game ( I heard he gets mentioned or depicted in some Vampire books written before the game. Anyone have information on this? Character's name was Christof Romuald ).

Music was silly and voices were forced.

The game had some very nice art assets though and interesting architecture at some points. I also liked the usage of vampiric disciplines. They were done nicely in my opinion.

elander_

Arbiter
denizsi said:
Party AI was retarded but it didn't show much with melee weapons in medieval Prague. With firearms however, they became an unforgiving burden.

Yes their AI was very retarded. I had to use stealth magic a lot and some exploits to position my team before they were seen or to make oponents pursuit me and fall into a trap.

We would expect that 20 years after chess programs were created that can beat most humans someone would be able to do a decent path-finding algorithm.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
You actually have to figure out how to use the AI. It does not work in a sane kinda way, but it works pretty well.

Defend means to defend you and stay close and not use powers. Attack means to go insane and use every power you have. The middle means to waste their powers randomly.

It is actually much better to use a combo of defend 80% of the time and attack the rest of the time, normally.

As for ranged weapons sucking with the AI they do OK with them if you follow the above guidlines, but melee weapons are much better - though the compound bow shooting magnesium arrows is pretty nice as well. Nothing is quite so fun as to max out celerity and run through a horde of rocket launcher hanving goons and have them literally explode or be decapitated with every swing....

xemous

Arcane
The bit where you break out of your coffin in the modern part was gold, and getting revenge on that smart arse (the guy who says that if the slaves blood isn't to your liking `I shall have them flogged!'' and he traps you in a jail (demo part).'' Great game I might fire it up thanks for reminding me.

elander_

Arbiter
The problem with defend is that team menbers only atack if someone in the team is atacked and when that happened they would still incinerate the team by accident if they have a grenade/rocket launcher. Also sometimes they would simply refuse to heal themsleves near dead even with 5 points on healing which wasted only a tiny bit if blood. The AI was very buggy.

But the game had a suprising number of tactics we could use for an action game mostly thanks to the magic powers riped off directly from the pnp setting.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Well, they will heal, but only if they have their mana about 25% or so. that's why it's critical to keep them in defend mode when not actualy fighting. It is goofy and kinda stoopid and in a fair world you would be able to tell them to heal and use NO other powers, but you get used to it. Grenade launchers and such suck anyhow, so it is betetr not to use them.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
obediah said:
I've never encountered anything that lame before.

What you need is some cross dressing and doing a push up battle against a gay wrestler with an obsessive fanbase. Obediah, meet FFVII.

the whole thing just makes me want to go out and kill larpers. I guess I'm a vampireophobe.

It is annoying to a point but it's much worse in Redemption. Christopher is the worst offender, and considering he talks in that old medieval discourse most of the time it's pretty bad.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Redemption was true to its source material so you can't really fault it for its pretensions, either in dialogue or story. Bloodlines was far poorer in that regard. Its like picking up a Danielle Steele book and complaining about the lack of space-ship battles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom