Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valve considering abandoning solo-play games

Pfft, what do you expect? Every time a new IP is previewed, people start clamoring for multiplayer even when it doesn't fit the game.

Eventually companies just realize they can cut to the chase.

UserNamer

Cipher
they said no more isolated single player games, no "no more single player games".

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I support Valve's decision. I play FPS games pretty much multiplayer only anyway, with very rare exceptions (yes, HL series was one of these exceptions, but I won't miss it that much, especially if it means more cool MP FPS).

MikeJahn

Educated
Did anyone actually follow half-life 2's storyline? It struck me as banal shit boring. I actually tried to get into it the first time I played (I looked for the G-man and all that stuff).

Multi-headed Cow

HL2 story: Stuff happens and you just like, roll with it man.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
MikeJahn said:
Did anyone actually follow half-life 2's storyline? It struck me as banal shit boring. I actually tried to get into it the first time I played (I looked for the G-man and all that stuff).

The story itself is nothing special -- protagonist leads uprising against alien occupation. What Half-Life 2 had going for it however was that they actually made use of the fact that video games are a visual medium. That means much of the story telling occurs visually, i.e. showing, not telling. I thought it was rather refreshing myself.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've only vaguely understad Valve haters. They've brought us a platform that has brought a ton of indie games into the spotlight, provide daily discounts on popular games so you can get them for cheap, the download speeds are almost always excellent, and while I haven't liked the half life games because I think the guns suck they brought us the two left for deads and the two portals.

All of the hate just seems to come from a doomsday scenario where a dozen years in the future where Valve has mysteriously gone bankrupt we won't have our games any more, that valve is popular, and a vague evil eye warning against DRM. Valve hasn't rootkitted me and I don't have to enter CD keys, and once my game is registered I can play in offline mode (not that I would ever go without internet connection). DRM is obviously unpopular with pirates, but I don't think pirates have had much trouble cracking Steam games.

Since I have an income nowadays I generally buy my games unless I'm afraid they're shit, so just having to be logged into steam to activate isn't quite a death camp system. Especially since you need to be online to download them anyway.

baronjohn

Cipher
kingcomrade said:
and a vague evil eye warning against DRM.
It's only vague in your mind, BRO.

The reasons to hate DRM are very concrete and very real.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Any DRM ever? Yeah I bet. Anything that makes the instructions in the ROFLXD.EXE file harder to understand is a true trial to mankind. We must also remind everyone who is reading that allowing only 2 installs ever per CD Key is the same thing as every other DRM ever.

Again, I have to repeat how vague and unspecific you're being. Is being very real different from just being real? How about concrete vs very concrete? I'm having trouble finding steam haters being anything besides hysterical teenagers, and you guys aren't helping.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
kingcomrade said:
I've only vaguely understad Valve haters. They've brought us a platform that has brought a ton of indie games into the spotlight

And if Steam did ONLY this, I'd be a happy camper.

If Steam was an ALTERNATIVE to purchasing game, instead of rapidly not only becoming the norm, but the minimum standard, then I wouldn't be anti-Steam.

...provide daily discounts on popular games so you can get them for cheap

But you still pay extra for the "cheap" price, even though it isn't in $. You don't own the game, you're renting it for an indefinite amount of time. It can be taken away from you at any time, for almost any reason.

I've grown accustomed to the RIGHT that if I buy something, I own it and can choose when and where I use it. Steam does NOT permit me that, so I avoid using it whenever I can.

the download speeds are almost always excellent

Tell that to the world in general.

All of the hate just seems to come from a doomsday scenario where a dozen years in the future where Valve has mysteriously gone bankrupt we won't have our games any more

It LOOKS unlikely, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. No one can predict the future. And I repeat, it doesn't take Valve going bankrupt for a user to lose all of his games, he only has to do *something* that Valve deems to be Wrong and *POOF!* goes your game collection. You say the wrong words in chat, post something inappropriate on the forums, use an indecent avatar pic, *POOF!*.

Valve hasn't rootkitted me

Yet. See Sony.

and I don't have to enter CD keys

This seems to be the problem, right here. People are willing to either pay more money to have everything done easy for them, or pay less and lose some basic rights and privileges, just to get rid of some minor piece of annoyance that can be circumvented with a good notebook, a pen, and some effort. Or has the education system really degenerated so far over there that people can't write anymore?

It's crap like this that's dragging the US of A down the toilet. Sadly too many other countries are following suit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's KC. The dude that got lost in Fallout 3. A game with a quest compass.

There's never enough handholding.

As for Valve DRM - didn't Gabe say they are going for a hardware DRM in the near future?
That's in addition to the absolute requirement of running their crappy bloatware whenever I want to play a game.
Steam also made any untalented piece of crap to be able to release his low-grade "indie game" (I believe this is how they call those games with nothing but 2 possible actions you can do for hours in some ugly levels they also call "stylish") only adding to the garbage can that PC gaming market already is

Oh but it has "friends" just like on facebook.

Lunac

Arcane
hardware DRM

It's a feature!!!!!!!!!!!

Fucking Valve cunts and their Tony Hawk fanboi brigade. It's sad LAN parties are thing of a past, because I would so fucken truck bomb a CS/HL oriented one right about now. I don't need no 72 virgins. I would settle for an eternity of gut punching that whale of a man that these little cunts see as a Messiah.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Even though I have 3 chums I play co-op and online semi-often I still very much prefer that single player experience. I'm a solitary person, and I prefer my gaming to be of a solitary experience. To me the lack of proper social interaction adds a layer to the game. Kind of a lonely and distant feel, but in a good way. Kinda like sitting at the beach alone and watching the sunset.
Online, however, just feels troublesome to me. To me it feels like people just want to rush things always. Skip dialogue, skip cut scenes, run by everything while hardly even looking at the surroundings. I completely lose my pace and it just isn't very fun anymore.
Demon's Souls is just about the only game with multiplayer I can really stand to play. Mostly because there is no way to interact with the other players other than with emotes. And even then I usually just disconnect from the internet. Not to avoid black phantoms, but to get rid of those blood stains and messages people leave. Somehow the game feels more bleak and lonely without them, which I find to be perfect.

So in short: fuck multiplayer and fuck Valve. Their games are shallow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom