Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valve considering abandoning solo-play games

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
http://kotaku.com/#!5795355/valve-proba ... ayer-games

According to the above article, Valve are considering abandoning games that only offer single-player content. They're not going to focus exclusively on multiplayer deathmatch-gaming, but probably either include a co-op campaign mode or a multiplayer option, or both with the single-player "campaigns" of their games.

Doesn't really concern me in Valve's case, since they've only been pushing multi-player games since 2007, but it does raise questions regarding HL2 Ep 3. In my opinion they should wrap that one up using only a solo-play campaign, and then release whatever sequels they want with co-op/multiplayer content as they see fit.

What this comment somehow makes me think, is that it means that every single Valve game from now on will include an in-game store for novelty items. They never said that the multi-player aspect wouldn't be a metagame.

But the most interesting point raised by the article is how this appears to be the general shift in the gaming industry, that games that at least include multi-player gaming are the way of the future and are rapidly becoming the standard. While I'm fine with more games including multi-player aspects of gaming, co-op or otherwise, I am concerned that this will become another "turn-based gaming is old, so let's ditch it altogether!" action on behalf of the developers, meaning that developers will abandon single-player gaming like rats from a sinking ship. And on a more sinister note, another method of DRM.

Thoughts?

Multi-headed Cow

I guess it could be acceptable if they do it Left 4 Dead style. Where you CAN play by yourself, but it's geared toward multiplayer. Not sure I like that for Half-Life though.

Still, not super enthused about the idea.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Multi-headed Cow said:
I guess it could be acceptable if they do it Left 4 Dead style. Where you CAN play by yourself.

You also CAN hit your dick with a hammer. But would you want that?

Multi-headed Cow

If it's like playing solo L4D I guess I would. L4D's certainly best with other people but every once in a while I'll fire it up and play solo if I wanna shoot some damn dirty zombies.

grdja

Augur
It was inevitable anyway. Multiplayer only games are excellent in combating piracy (since direct connect and LAN went the way of the Dodo because of "War on Piracy") and end of single player games was on the horizon for years now. Interesting to see Vavle go for it first... but its not like I really give a fuck anyway.

ortucis

Prophet
Good for them. Personally I hate all FPS made by Valve so far so I couldn't care less.

But there IS money in MP content, through shops or COOP, so it's the right way for a developer like Valve.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
baronjohn said:
Morgoth said:
Fuck multiplayer of any kind.
Agreed.

I hate most humans... and that part of humanity plays online games, so I don't want to listen to them while trying to relax while playing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Considering the last truly 'single player' game they released was HL2 this isn't entirely surprising. In fact, other than Portal 1, the Half-Life series is pretty much the only single player games they published. Maybe Ricochet, but I've never played that. As far as an industry shift... well it's been trending that way for a long time now, probably the last five+ years. Even then most single player games don't last more than ten hours which is a joke in and of itself.

Edit: To add -- it's no secret that Gabe is a big WoW fan so I would expect an MMO or MMO-like game from them in the future. He's smart enough not to take on Blizzard so he's probably trying to figure out a way he can do it and still rake in huge profits. Microtransactions will probably be that way given the TF2 and Portal 2 stores but he needs to implement that into an MMO type experience.

Achilles

Arcane
My guess is that they mean co-op functionality, not multiplayer-only games. I am worried though that the quality will suffer.

(inb4 what quality, all valve games are shit)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, Dota 2 is the only thing on their horizon and you can bet your ass that will have microtransactions galore.

J1M

Arcane
Yeah, who would want something challenging or difficult in a PC game. All games should be easy enough that they don't frustrate a random person you are playing with online.

Hazey

Novice
If they do it in the same was as Bad Company 2 it isn't a problem. Those guys were like "Oh yeah, we'd better throw in a single player campaign as well" and it was still better than the last three Call of Duties.

chzr

Scholar
Hazey said:
If they do it in the same was as Bad Company 2 it isn't a problem. Those guys were like "Oh yeah, we'd better throw in a single player campaign as well" and it was still better than the last three Call of Duties.

that doesn't really say much.

waywardOne

Arcane
multiplayer's greatest flaw is its only distinction: other players in your game.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is something i don't like especially because i have no video game friends.

We might play some Multi-player games over a few beers a Saturday before going out, but any day when we have time for any thing bigger then there are other things to do.
I don't mind CO-OP, but most of the time when you are forced with a bot partner that partners AI is fucking RETARDED!!!!.

All this means is that i am going to buy less Valve games.

attackfighter

Magister
I always saw co-op as a waste of development time, the only multiplayer I like is deathmatch multiplayer.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Guess Half Life 2 Episode 2 will be the last game I will have ever played from them. Bye Valve. :salute:

I.C. Wiener

Educated
If this were any other developer I would see this as bad news, but Valve's single player games are all pretty dull, so I can't see this having any negative effects (except for their possible influence on other developers). HL2 would have been drastically improved by L4D-style co-op/versus, since it would have meant no cutscenes or driving sections. Portal already sucks and every other game they've made is multiplayer only. So forgive me if I don't think this is a big deal.

The TF2-style in-game store (which will probably be in every multiplayer compatible game they release from now on) is a different though, that can suck a dick. But that is rooted in an entirely different problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom