Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview V:tm - Bloodlines; Leonard Boyarsky interviewed

EEVIAC

Erudite
There's always the issue of implementing as much of the feel of the PnP game -

if not the specifics, only changing what needed to be changed to make the game fun/work in a computer version.

So both skill manuals and discipline restrictions are good changes? Neither are core rules (and I argue not even close to the spirit of the rules,) and both have better possible implementations. I don't understand the defense of something that is just plain wrong.

We get balance in discipline restrictions, yet we can min/max with skill manuals? It doesn't make sense. My skeptical self wonders whether the decision is influenced by multi-player modes.

By the way Leon, if you read this, the three clan disciplines is a game-breaker and needs to be remedied.

Petey_the_Skid

Liturgist
From the local vampire freak:

Common disicplines every vampire should be able to access, even if they aren't specific to you're clan: Auspex, Potence, Celerity, Fortitude, Presence, Dominate, Obfuscate and (to a lesser extent perhaps) Animalism

These are the core eight disciplines of vampire, and are generally the ones a caitiff(a clanless freak whose sire's blood was too thin to pass on clan traits) gets to choose from, unless they have a very nice storyteller. Even if you're vampire doesn't start with these as clan disciplines, he can pick them up with freebie points, or easily learn the first few levels without requiring a teacher.

Limiting the clans to just their core disciplines essentially creates, as some have mentioned, classes for the game, which is the exact opposite of what PnP vampire offers, where despite you're clan choice, you can create almost any character type. Hell, even a a socialite nosferatu character is possible, with the right selction of skills, powers and abilities,in a PnP game, but would be practically impossible if they're limited to their clan discs. Ah well, I'll probably still buy this game, just hope it won't turn into a beer coaster like Redemption did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom