Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can use the fire crackers and other noise makers to direct zombies, of course. Walking among zombies unharmed, no.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, good update. Glad to see that the game is not dead. I have high hopes for the AI, especially if they heal themselves during combat - actually putting some value on their lives.

9ted6

Educated
This is one of the only upcoming games I have even a small amount of hope for. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit.

agris

Arcane
Patron
now that’s some autism I can get behind!

some of those values do look a bit silly, but I’ll assume that’s to keep the game fun

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
The sigmoid curves for actual armor resistance are insanely sharp. Real bullets go through a lot of stuff - also IRL there are so many flavours of ammo and weapons you cannot really gamify all of them. We went for a basic set of guns and calibers to be able to balance things. But we also made modding the guns the easiest thing possible - using the modding SDK will allow players to add hundreds of new guns and ammo types if they want to.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
The sigmoid curves for actual armor resistance are insanely sharp. Real bullets go through a lot of stuff - also IRL there are so many flavours of ammo and weapons you cannot really gamify all of them. We went for a basic set of guns and calibers to be able to balance things. But we also made modding the guns the easiest thing possible - using the modding SDK will allow players to add hundreds of new guns and ammo types if they want to.
+ as usual engagement ranges are shorter in video games.

agris

Arcane
Patron
ok but setting 9 mm to have the same penetration power as .45 is 1911 erasure, and i wont have it

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Maybe, there's room for a lot of finetuning between 2 pen and 4 pen. Setting both aT same value helped us pair them with Level IIA armor. But they don't need to be both 3.5 (FMJ), lots of decimals to play with.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Maybe, there's room for a lot of finetuning between 2 pen and 4 pen. Setting both aT same value helped us pair them with Level IIA armor. But they don't need to be both 3.5 (FMJ), lots of decimals to play with.
.45 should be a straight upgrade from 9 mm HP in all things except cost, weight, scarcity, and ammo capacity. 0.45 may have a downside if you don’t want to blow through drywall or an abdomen. Also select fire 0.45 handguns (machine pistols) will be very rare compared to 9 mm, not to mention mp5-style smgs.

Harthwain

Magister
+ as usual engagement ranges are shorter in video games.
This is done for balance. If you could use shotgun for everything, why bother with anything else? With trade-offs this is less of cut-and-dry case as sniper rifle, assault rifle, shotgun and pistol all have their ups and downs.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
The cult herders do humm and mumble some incantations while training the zombies but they're also stoned on their special "sacramental wine". And most important, if any student fails the training process, they never count that one as a loss, he/she just gets promoted to the undead class.

You do get to recruit a former herder later in the campaign, but the only benefit from her past training will be being perfectly comfortable in zombie infested zones for long periods of time. There are recruits who are way more squeamish when it comes to camping among festering undead for days on end.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
That's the general idea. We're not big fans of morale debuffs affecting combat, but you should get at least some angry mumbling about earning some R&R after a while.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the debuff a permanent thing, or do they get used to the zombies after a while, or just get more experience in the world of the dead to overcome it?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
There are no permanent debuffs. There's a fix for all of them.

If not in Episode 2 of the dev blog then very soon after we'll focus on perks and experience so we'll have a lot more details then.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
We've taken into account the relative rarity of the weapons and the scarcity of the ammo.

We consider popular calibers the .22 in the first tier for obvious reasons, 9mm in second tier because its widely used in law enforcement and 5.56 as standard assault rifle caliber in the end game. The others will come as faction flavours, boss weapons, exotics, etc.

Of course, there are also the 12G shotties and the crossbows that will never go out of style, each with 4 types of ammo.

goregasm

Scholar
.45 should be a straight upgrade from 9 mm HP in all things except cost, weight, scarcity, and ammo capacity. 0.45 may have a downside if you don’t want to blow through drywall or an abdomen. Also select fire 0.45 handguns (machine pistols) will be very rare compared to 9 mm, not to mention mp5-style smgs.
*Stares at his ammo cans full of 147 fmj*

Drywall you say?

I just want to piggyback here a bit, I've no major criticism with your idea on HP, would just say that (depending on where the game takes place) FMJ is going to be a far more common projectile, and the penetration from a 9mm fmj is fairly comparable to a 45, wound channels would certainly be larger in a 45, but we have been arguing about what is "better" for ages.

I certainly wouldn't call a .45 a pure upgrade over a 9mm in a real world setting, especially with how ballistic technology is today. It's possibly going to put a bigger hole in someone, but a 9mm, even 124 is going to penetrate nearly as much, almost all small calibers do.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Game takes place in suburban Georgia, USA, somewhere in mid 2000's. Urban is a fictional county & town, of course.

Interesting point about FMJ. But having armor piercing stuff in abundance would be a massive pain (considering you don't start with much protection), while not helping much with the zombie problem. One would argue it was a worthy depart from real world stats.

I read somewhere police uses hollow point 9mm to avoid over-penetration and secondary unwanted casualty. Isn't that true?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
I bet nowadays there's plenty of body armor protection on the civilian market too, but back in the 90s i don't think it was so common. I am old enough to remember the infamous North Hollywood bank robbery, with those two heavy armored robbers tanking thousands of 9mm, .38 and shotgun rounds before SWAT arrived. Everyone was so surprised the bad guys had the gaul to wear body armor... (also might be where the idea of the bullet sponge enemies sprung into the mind of certain devs)

agris

Arcane
Patron
I read somewhere police uses hollow point 9mm to avoid over-penetration and secondary unwanted casualty. Isn't that true?
Right, a JHP round is designed to crumple into a pancake shape on impact. That means increased damage to soft targets, while the pancaking rapidly decreases the velocity to minimize going through people. It’s also why body armor is so effective against JHP.

While a FMJ round can penetrate armor, the solid tip means less pancaking and less damage to an organic target while also increasing the chance of completely passing through the target

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Exactly - that was the reasoning behind making hollow-point the more common caliber to come by since your primary source will be the various government groups. As you progress, FMJ will become the de-facto round though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom